Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those new in F1, read here

Well guys, this is it, a new year in F1.

Let me start with my tickets:

G20.net past 2006 season thread

The new stuff:

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-22

Gary Paffett (from the DTM), Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Pedro de la Rosa

Kimi Raikkonen on a Ferrari F2007.

A new F1 team, Spiker, the Dutch sportscar maker that will run with Ferrari engine thru the 2007 season.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2007 Rules and Regulations:

Engines
Engines homologated and used during the last two races of 2006 must now be used during the 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons. Although this move, designed to cut development costs, has been widely described as an 'engine freeze', some limited development work will be allowed. This will, however, be strictly controlled by the FIA.

The two-race engine rule will no longer apply to Friday practice sessions. This means any driver starting a meeting with a fresh engine will not be penalised for an earlier failure. It also means drivers may opt to use alternative engines on Fridays and save their race engines for the remainder of the weekend.

Weekend schedule
In a slight change to the Grand Prix weekend format, Friday's two practice sessions have been extended from 60 to 90 minutes each.

Tyres
With Bridgestone becoming Formula One racing's sole supplier for 2007, each team will receive only two specifications of tyre per event. However, they will get more sets - four per driver on the Friday and ten for the remainder of the weekend. Each driver must use both specifications during the race.

Safety car
In 2007, safety car regulations have been modified to prevent drivers diving for the pits the minute the safety car comes onto the circuit, and to stop backmarkers interfering with the leaders during a race restart. No car is allowed to enter the pits until the field is bunched up behind the safety car and before the safety car returns to the pit any lapped car running between cars on the lead lap must overtake those cars and the safety car before taking up their correct position at the back.

Friday Practice
Third cars will no longer be allowed, but all teams are now permitted to run one additional driver in each Friday session. This additional driver may use either of the team's race cars.

Safety
A GPS marshalling system, involving a cockpit light display of flag signals in each driver's car, is being introduced. This will allow Race Control to alert drivers to potential hazards more effectively.

All cars must also now be fitted with a medical warning light just ahead of the driver's cockpit. This is to provide rescue crews with an immediate indication of the severity of the accident and is connected to the FIA data logger.

More info here from F1.com.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I am an F1 freak. I thought about starting this thread myself, but it's already here! From what I have heard, Kimi looks like he has his balls on this year! I can't wait for the first race but it will kind on suck with no MS this year. Anybody going to Indy's F1 race this year?

·
Registered
333 Posts
im looking for bmw-sauber to step it up, namely Nick Heidfeld. I predict 3 wins, and a serious championship contender. Kimi will probably pull it off in the end. Honda, Toyota, and Williams will be hyped up, but wont go anywhere. Super Aguri will be last, as well as red bull. Its still too early to say much about Toro Rosso, but good luck to Scott Speed. I believe it will be a battle between McLaren, Ferrari, and BMW at the stretch. i cant wait to see if im close at all.

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
i dont know how happy i am with the "engine freeze" rule. it was because of the high rate of development in F1 that we came up up with so many advancements in automotive technology. i understand putting restrictions on displacement and output, but i dont understand my they have to stop development overall.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Stupid rules. It's all about the backmarkers' sponsors getting more coverage by making the front runners slower, thus more camera time. The gap betwen the front and back was huge. I would bet it will get a little tighter but the best funded teams will still rule. If they wanted to create true parody they should install a spending cap.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I dunno, I'm thinking of totally routing for Super Best Friends this year... I wish Red Bull would pick maybe one racing event and be good at it, instead of every racing event and being the second worst at all of them. It would be funny, if it wasn't so stupid.

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
as much as i am a fan of kimi, i am not a big fan of ferrari, so i wont be rooting for him, to my dismay. i'll probably have to pick a new team, but i dont know who yet. probably super aguri, because sato has good potential, just bad luck (and the team has slow development). maybe we'll see him improve this time around, and shine like he did back in 2004. the team looks like it can improve a lot.

actually, this post has made my decision, supaaar aguri ftw!

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
I will definately be attending the Indy race this year. Already purchased my tickets. Look for an Infiniti G20 on the car corral. I won't say which one... yet.

I'll be the drunk guy with the big lense in one hand, and an oil can in the other!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just saw the first practice on Australia, Alonso did it again.....

This is going to be a very good season too, keep tuned.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The whole Super Aguri customer Honda chassis embrolio is pissing me off. F1 is about creating super trick and fast cars, not buying a premade car and racing it. I have a feeling that this buying of chassis will be banned in the near future.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Thanks to Scott for telling me to get it in gear and turn on the race. :)

I'm excited.. hehehe :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts