Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 626 Posts

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....figured if I actually posted something and folks were serious about replies and progress, we'd all benefit.

We can use this thread for MOTIVATION, PROGRESS, and SUGGESTIONS. Please NO b/s topics, nonsense, or making fun. Anyone doing that will be asked to leave.

Since i'm the oldest, I will start:

37 yrs old. 6'0" and 191 lbs (down from 205 end of 2010).
Goals: more upper body bulk, more cut muscle, better defined abs.
Cardio: would be nice if I could run a couple miles once or twice a week, but it is HOT in Georgia, so this may have to wait until Fall.

Present Equipment: bowflex xtreme2, 500+ lbs of Olympic free weights. Dumbells from 15-40 lbs.

I'm lazy, so here's my current routine (approx 3 times/week): bench press....135 lbs, couple sets of 10 reps. Increase to 165-185 lbs, one set, lower rep count. Curls. Preacher style w/barbell. Have to look at the total weight...maybe 65 lbs? I can pretty easily do 15 reps, probably need to increase weight. Sometimes do dumbells 30 lbs each. Generally 3 sets of 10 reps. Again, probably need to increase weight to get desired results.

And that's all folks. Nice 15-20 minute workout. Wow...huh. I'm actually very surprised that i look as good as I do with that. I STRONGLY, STRONGLY believe most of it is from my diet. This year i've been trying to avoid the junk. Eating lean meat (chicken/beef), healthy crap. No soda....mainly water (1 cup coffee in a.m.). Occasional protein shake.

I'm not looking to be like Arnold was back in the 70's...If I can get my stomach perfectly flat...or 6 pack (like i use to have in my early 20's) I would actually look pretty damn good. And any of you young folks that have the ole 6 pack, your time will come!! Seriously....the flat stomach is tough.

Proposed routine:
Bench heavier weight, less reps. 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Curls, heavier weight, less reps. 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Situp/crunches, start out at 30 reps, 3 sets.
Jogging, start out at 1/2 mile, 2 days per week.

--------- and rotate Bowflex machine in when i'm tired.....safer and easier.

............. :)

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Look forward to seeing your progress. I am down to hitting the gym once a week of late. I had been going 3 times a week. Just been so busy fixing up the house, no time for gym.

I do 20 minutes of cardio to start. I was doing 30+ minutes but got the weight down to 170lbs so figured it's time to cut the cardio down and focus on the weights. I too want to increase the weight with less sets. I been doing 4 sets of 10. I focus on arms, chest, back and abs. I neglect my chicken legs but I might have to change that.

My diet is pretty good except for alcohol. Which is very very bad. Like said I'm 170ish, prob bout 173 right now. I am 6' tall unless you ask Curt then I'm 5' 9" for some reason :). My highest weight was about 265 and pure fat. Do to the fact of being so fat for so long I have some loose skin. Sucks because no matter how much I work out and low I get my weights I will always have sections that just will not be tone.

I am probably the healthiest I have ever been. I just need to bulk up a little bit.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ yah Rob, I remember you saying you were heavy. GOOD for you, that is not easy at all to do. My highest was 215 lbs...strong, but a little chunky. 24 lb total loss for me, wasn't what i'd call easy. My issue is as soon as I drop my weight, I loose mass in arms/chest/legs. WTF.

Fixing up the house? Just one....? Shoot, counting the rentals and office building I have TEN... so when something goes wrong, it takes time ....and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You can get back up to 3 days a week if i can :)

·
Original Owner Bitch.
3,099 Posts
Let me get in on this since I just got my reality check last month. Spent 8 hours in the ER because of a heart related issue. Found out it has nothing to do with diet, lifestyle, etc but I know I'm not getting any younger so it's time to get back to my high school form.

34 years old, 210lbs, 6'2, lanky & chubby.

Hitting the treadmill daily for 30 mins. 30 push-ups. Abs for 15 mins. Dumbells 10-40lbs.
I currently suck hard at pull-ups but I'm getting better each week.

Not really looking for a set number of weight, just want to be fit and not be out of breath so easily.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me get in on this since I just got my reality check last month. Spent 8 hours in the ER because of a heart related issue. Found out it has nothing to do with diet, lifestyle, etc but I know I'm not getting any younger so it's time to get back to my high school form.

34 years old, 210lbs, 6'2, lanky & chubby.

Hitting the treadmill daily for 30 mins. 30 push-ups. Abs for 15 mins. Dumbells 10-40lbs.
I currently suck hard at pull-ups but I'm getting better each week.

Not really looking for a set number of weight, just want to be fit and not be out of breath so easily.
Damn....that sucks!
age catches up w/u fast. To think, I graduated HS in '92. WTF.
wow, glad you took it seriously and are doing something about it.

BTW, where u raised in SD?

·
I loVE AR2
2,566 Posts
I want in this haha.

Used to be at 320 went down to 280 just eating a better diet and running the treadmill and once in a while hitting the school track and playing basketball, I recently havent been doing much exercise but still eating a healthy diet I will have to start running again.

·
Original Owner Bitch.
3,099 Posts
Damn....that sucks!
age catches up w/u fast. To think, I graduated HS in '92. WTF.
wow, glad you took it seriously and are doing something about it.

BTW, where u raised in SD?
Yeah I put it off long enough.
Coming up, I lived between SD & NY/NJ, then I just stayed here.

·
Cheap @$$
2,125 Posts
Im in to try and do this. I usually need motivation so I hope having you guys will help.

21 yrs old, 5'11", maybe 250 lbs.

Few years ago in high school i was 210 lbs and was playing football and baseball so i was always running and lifting. Havent really lifted since but ran a little last summer and luckily i still have muscle left over from then but wanna get more back.

i deff need to eat healthier, thinking about starting off with easy stuff like cutting out alot of soda and sugary drinks. have been playing a little basketball since the weathers been nice but might get more into running and playing harder. maybe throw in some ab work and lift when i can.

i dont mind being a big guy(always have been and kinda like it) so im not looking to get super skinny just wanna lose some of the gut and get more muscle back.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:
weighed in at 189.2 lbs....haven't been that weight in a couple/few years.

Tried a MAX --- unspotted (scary :scared: ) bench press today. started with a small set of 185. Increased to 195, then 205, 215, and I got up 225 lbs (one time). Didn't want to try any more w/out a spotter. So that's a bench of 119% of my body weight. Not bad, not great...but for an old guy...it's good.

GOAL: By the end of the year, I want to bench 250 lbs w/out a spotter. I believe that will be easy if 1) I don't hurt myself 2) if I remain consistant w/this thread.

Preacher curls...started with a set of the curved curl bar and 50 lbs. Wasn't struggling after 10 reps so increased to curl bar PLUS 60 lbs. That was more of a challenge and got 8 up. Going to hold this weight until I can easily do 10 reps and then increase 5-10 lbs.

KNOWLEDGE: My parents were from NJ and moved in SD b4 I was born in '71. SD is a very nice place, but has changed for the worse since I was a kid in the late 70's / 80's / 90's. Crime increased and the cost of living is absolutely insane. Weather is as good to perfect as you can get. What part of SD you live in?

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
Ill get in this but i think i have a little less work than some and my goals are more modest.

i am 30, 6', 170#, and in moderate shape. i have been the same height weight since sophomore year in high school but back then i could run miles without breaking a sweet, bench close to 220, and i had pretty well defined abs n arms etc. in the last 10 years i have done only limited cardio and my diet has gone to shit. i cant run distance anymore because i can feel the beginnings of knee problems, after playing soccer with my sons team i cant put weight on my knee for a day or 2 without pain.

my Goal, bike enough so that i can do 20-30 miles without needing the rest of the day to recover. i also want to cut down on the coffee and beer(these will be the hardest part) hopefully as a consequence of achieving the above i will lose a little gut but its not really a big issue for me.

·
Original Owner Bitch.
3,099 Posts
Picked up a bench and some freeweights off Craigslist for cheap and it all fit into the P11! I plan on keeping my regimen of treadmill 30minutes daily, and then alternate the weights & pushup/abs daily.

@Brian, I bought a house in Poway(92064) but do visit relatives that stay where I think I remember you saying where you were living, Chula Vista.

·
Cheap @$$
2,125 Posts
just did little over an hour workout:

-30 mins drumming(honestly one of the best things to get in shape, you use everybody part)
-15 mins on the punching bag
-5 mins of abs
-15 mins of basketball

i feel good but deff need to get in shape. ill probs head out later and play basketball again.

im hoping i can fit this workout in everyday if not then everyother day..

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up a bench and some freeweights off Craigslist for cheap and it all fit into the P11! I plan on keeping my regimen of treadmill 30minutes daily, and then alternate the weights & pushup/abs daily.

@Brian, I bought a house in Poway(92064) but do visit relatives that stay where I think I remember you saying where you were living, Chula Vista.
wow.....u r serious!!! Good for you and congrats on the purchase.

Poway, nice out there! Good for you.
My sister still lives in Chula Vista. I am not planning to get out there anytime soon. Too $$$ for flights and such. Have too much going on in GA now.

Keep us posted on the workout.

·
Registered
316 Posts
P90X!! That will get you where u want to be!
HUGE 2nd on this. I just finished round 3 and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm about to start round 4, I say we get a G20 P90X group workout!

To be completely honest It's a great program that incorporates; strength training, flexibility, speed straining, cardio, and a great diet.

For those of you guys that are doing your workouts keep in mind that diet is 80% of your results (no joke).

Let me know what you guys think about starting a g20 P90x workout group!

·
Original Owner Bitch.
3,099 Posts
I have the P90X system and I do plan on restarting that again as soon as I can build up a lil more stamina. I'll post when I get back into it.

1 - 20 of 626 Posts