Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had this 93.5 high-port AL0 P10 for almost two years and it’s been a long road. In a way this car reflects that journey. Unfortunately I don’t have pics but I’ll shoot and upload some during lunch tomorrow.
To my knowledge I’m the fourth owner. I picked it up for $1200 out of Kirkland, WA

***If anything I hope this encourages you***

It all started after I wrecked, rolled, and totaled my 02’ Corolla after someone in their GMC decided to cut me off and send me into a ditch doing sixty on the freeway. I’m lucky to be alive let alone being able to walk away without so much as a scratch or whiplash.

It was a damn shame too. I had picked the car up for $800 and slapped a new clutch in it. The interior and body were in mint condition thanks to being a one owner car with detailed service records and it was barely over 140k miles. I only had the car for three months. Two days prior my dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer, I was out one car, and my grandpa was on his death bed. Since his passing and my dads recovery it marks eighteen deaths in under 11 months (friends, family, etc) all the while commuting 25+ miles one way to work. I was barely twenty one at the time. It was hard but there wasn’t any time to make excuses. No sooner was I pulled from the wreck did I get a call from a close friend asking if I was okay. Turns out a friend of his wife’s saw my car after the wreck and called them up. All of this happened while I was on the way to meet up with one of the most successful business men in my local area that had agreed to take me under his wing. I still made it on time thanks to my friend and we found this G20 on the car ride over in his KH3 P10 (also a 93.5 high-port). Within three days I had the car in my name and in my parking spot. I didn’t do this on my own. I had a lot of help. Almost nothing went according to plan. I just leaned into the ones I could count on and I never gave up. I’m just a guy from a small town. The size of my graduating class was MAYBE forty people. I grew up bucking hay and wrenching on small Cessna airplanes. I played football, I wrestled, and I ran track. My dad ran his own business (he’s sold it since then) but, he never handed me anything. In fact I hardly ever got to spend time with him growing up. He busted his @!&$ so I could have a good life and I don’t fault him for it. In fact I’m grateful. It’s because of the example he set that I was able to stick it out. Like I said before. I’m just a guy from a small town and I hope that this story might encourage someone if they happen to read this.

Now, onto the car.

This G had seen better days. Pads and rotors were shot. Thermostat wouldn’t open. Oil and PSF leaks EVERYWHERE. Alternator was on its way out the door too. I don’t think there’s a straight side panel on this car and the front bumper has small chunks missing. NONE of the tires were the same brand and the rear tires were bigger than the front (I forget the exact size). Oh and the right fender has primer showing through. I had to basically rewire the whole audio system thanks to the hack job from one of the previous owners. I ended up by-passing the factory amps and running new wires to my aftermarket system that I was nearly ready to install in my Corollover (see what I did there?) and I replaced the alternator with its 160 amp high output counterpart. I ran 4 gauge wire for the power and ground and a breaker switch to protect the power wire running from the alternator to the battery. To give it a more polished look I ran everything through wire loom. Moving to the interior the drivers seat is pretty much wasted and the faux leather around the steering wheel was falling to pieces so I cut the stitches and pulled it off. I will reupholster or swap the steering wheel at a later date. The shift boot was shredded and the threads inside the shift knob had cracked which lead to replacing both with some cheap aftermarket stuff (temporary). The dash rattles like a tin can but it’s in great shape. The same can’t be said for the carpet. I may just do a full interior swap. For now I’ve picked up some seats from an 02’ P11 and will be installing them over the weekend.

So to date I’ve fixed all the mechanical and electrical stuff minus the high pressure hose for the power steering. That will be coming in this week.

Planned mods and resto (no specific order)

Note: I manage parts for a body shop and some of the techs/painters have agreed to help me out in exchange for things like stereo upgrades and maintenance.

✅ EGR delete

Stainless braided brake lines

Re-skin the front left door (huge crease)

Repair the front bumper and all panels

Prep and repaint the car

✅ Shampoo the carpet

✅ New seats

✅ Possibly swap the interior.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There’ll be some progress tomorrow after I help fix a buddy’s stereo. Shouldn’t take long though. I’m going to install the front seats and then get under the dash and tighten up whatever’s rattling. After that it’s on to the high pressure hose. From there who knows.. maybe a little body work. I’ll post pics as I go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yesterday was pretty much a bust for the car. I was only able to swap one seat out before getting a phone call from the family. We spent the day riding quads so that was fun.

Any way all I had to do is drill out the rivets holding the existing mounts to the seat rails. Then after mocking up the new seat I welded the new mounts to the rails. Good thing I had access to a drill press or this would have taken WAY longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed the drivers’ seat today so that completes the front - pics to follow. Now I need to find a cloth bench seat or convert one. For now that’s low on the priority list. Next is to shop around for stainless brake lines (taking suggestions) and build some EGR block off plates. As for the PS hose I’m in the process of coordinating with my boss to use one of the lifts at the shop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Painted the dash and trim panels today. I wanted to mask off the beige parts of the door panels but the tape wouldn’t stick ?

Oh well... as long as I don’t have to look at the poop brown any more it’s still a win. Next is the brake lines and the entire front suspension. The boss is nice enough to let me order through our vendors so it’ll be under $550 for that project. I’m just waiting for my tax return to come in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just pulled the trigger on the front suspension.

Should arrive May 3rd. Price + tax & shipping is $560.48

Parts List

KYB Excel-G struts

KYB strut mounts, boots, and bump stops

MOOG LCAs

MOOG inner & outer tie rods

MOOG stab-links

MEVOTECH upper control arms (couldn’t get MOOG uppers sadly).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay quick update. The build has definitely changed direction a little bit.

✅ Bigger wheels

Beef up brakes

New rear shocks

✅ Painted interior instead of swapping

As of today the wheels have been prepped and bead blasted. Next step is to use filler on the curb rash, prime, and paint. Oh I almost forgot to mention that I have power steering again and rebuilt the front suspension last weekend. ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts