Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of security system is this. you look your car up and if people break in it doesnt go off. Mine only goes off if you dont put the key in within thirty seconds of opening the door. thats lame. or is my system messed up?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You think that's funny? My "security system" does absolutely nothing, except blink the "security" light whenever the key is not in the ignition. I've never heard it go off, or honk, or anything. (I'm kinda hopin it doesn't, cuz I don't know how to turn it off...used car). But I guess the blinking light is enough of deterrent to the casual theif....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow really? Mine works...if you lock the doors and try to unlock them, the alarm will go off...also if you open the hood/trunk. It should disable the ignition too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
dang once I got my car dropped I was pushing on the front end really hard noticing how much stiffer the suspension was and suddenly my alarm went off and I had to run inside for my key to turn it off. I was shocked because I had no idea that my car even did that. Well, I guess mine works fine. Sometimes when I'm sitting in my car waiting for someone and then I open my door it goes off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my alarm blows too!!! my security thing used to blink all the time when the key wasen't in the ingnition. I discovered my driver side rear door sensor thing was broken(when you open the rear doors it's on the car not the door, it's covered with a little funny looking rubber thing with a screw in it). there's a plastic thing inside that's on a circuit an makes the lights go on when the door opens. My dad has a 96 Nissan Altima so i took a lil cruise over to his house an sure enough his car had the exact same sensors. I grabbed his(hehehe) an went back to my house an installed it. Now the security light stops blinking 30 seconds after i leave my car but the alarm an keyless entry still are broken.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So how exactly should I go about trying to set off my alarm...just to check, y'know?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
FF Drifter said:
So how exactly should I go about trying to set off my alarm...just to check, y'know?
You could try hitting the fender with a bat....:p That might set it off....:lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay, so I just washed my car and I decided it'd be a fun time to try to set off the alarm again. Stupid, I know.

Stupid experiment #1: my 200lb friend passed by, so we spent about five minutes rocking the car left and right. no effect

Stupid experiment #2: so we try pushing hard on the front end, as suggested by other forum members. no effect, except that i'll remember to pull the parking brake next time....

Jeez, never mind. I'll just be content with the blinking light.

·
Registered
664 Posts
From my experience with Nissans:

our stock alarms DON'T have shock sensors. They should never go off if it's banged, jolted, beatin with a bat, crushed, or whatever - unless the hood or door pin switch disengages.

A way to test your alarm is to do the following:

Roll down the windows.
Arm the alarm from the remote.
Wait 30 seconds.
Reach your hand in the car.
Unlock with either the power unlock or manual.
Open the door from the outside.
BING BING BING...the annoying horn should start blaring.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually, opening the door will set off the alarm whether you open the door using the inside handle or the outside handle. They key here is the way that the alarm disengages. There are only two ways to disable the alarm. You can either disable it using the key fob or you can unlock the door using the key. I believe that the P11 has a shock sensor, but i'm not positive.

Assuming it is working correctly, your alarm will go off in any of the following situations:

Someone breaks the lock and opens the door from the outside.
The windows are down/broken and someone opens the door from the inside.
The hood is opened while the alarm is on.
The trunk is opened while the alarm is on (opening it with the key will disarm the alarm).
If the car is bumped/hit hard enough (assuming there is a shock sensor on the stock alarm. Can anyone confirm this?).

I'd say that's pretty good protection for a stock alarm. The only thing more you could ask for is remote control of the windows (ie: they automatically roll up when you activate the alarm) and a glass break sensor (though, the damage is already done by the time that does it's job).

All the info above pertains to the P11 only. I have no knowledge of the P10 alarm system. If someone could verify the presence/absence of a shock sensor that would really help. Anyone got a P11 FSM?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know my alarm works...

but I dont have the remote...Any ideas on where to get one without spending a fortune? I mean it works fine when you lock the doors and if someone where to try and open the door and/or actually open the door the alarm will sound...Basically I would love to look cool with one of those remotes...

any ideas?=)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: I know my alarm works...

lukeyc3 said:
Basically I would love to look cool with one of those remotes...
Huh...my 93.5 Has one? Do u have leather?
You can get a remote from the dealer or check eBay or classifieds, someone is usually selling one.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
There is no shock sensor in an stock G20 alarm.

The alarm will only sound when it is armed and:

-The hood is opened
-The doors or trunk is opened without a remote or key

If someone smashes a window and climbs in, the alarm will never have gone off. It also will not go off if you start the ignition while the alarm is still armed. :-\

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you smash a window and climb in, the alarm won't go off. But if they open the door once they're in there, it'll go off. That's good enough for me. I'm still thinking about getting LoJack tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try this open your driver's side window and leave it open then lock and shut the doot. Then pull up the lock or open the door with your hand inside the open window and your alarm should go off. That is how I found out mine worked.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I guess mine doesn't work. -_- At least my car isn't the kind that attracts TOO much attention....

·
Registered
251 Posts
b-b00gie said:
There is no shock sensor in an stock G20 alarm.

The alarm will only sound when it is armed and:

-The hood is opened
-The doors or trunk is opened without a remote or key

Yup, no shock sensor. But I think the 2000+ P11 are equiped with the engine immobilizer system which takes the factory key to start because the key sends out a code to start up the engine.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I was thinking about adding in some shock sensors to the factory alarm. Has anyone ever tried that?:-\

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Funny thing happened to me with my Compustar security system.

I was sleeping one morning, just a week ago, and suddenly my lcd pager for the car started chirping... I didn't know where it was coming from until I looked at my lcd pager and it showed how the car was paging me. So I thought to myself, is something wrong with the security system, since my car was in the garage and the doors to the garage were locked (no one could have been trying to get into the car). Then that day, in the evening I heard there was a little earthquake here. It was pretty cool that the security sensor felt the little tremor and paged me. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts