Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys,
Im almost ready to embark on my turbo install and have a few quesitons.
My car just hit 100K miles and i plan on using a t25 with no more then 12 or so pounds of boost.

1. I picked up some mobil 1 sythetic oil. Will i run into any problems running this oil? I plan on changing it every 3 thousand miles or so.
2. Do i need to change the sparkplugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuelpump etc before i do the upgrade? the car runs great now and doesn't seem to need a tune up, but i was just wondering
3. where can i get high perfomance gear oil locally in Phoenix?
4. Do i need to run 92 octane gas after i go turbo? should i start doing this now so that there is no residual 87 octane left in the system?
5. for my new fuel pump, do i need to have the tank almost empty?

thanks guys, and sorry for sounding retarded on some of this stuff.

Marty

·
Registered
107 Posts
1. sometimes switching to synthetic, after running regular for high miles, will cause leaks, cause its thinner than regular oil. if youve been running regular, id stick with that. i run synthetic, but only because its been run the motor's whole life.

2. it wouldnt hurt to go 1 or 2 steps colder with your spark plugs, a tune up wouldnt hurt, but its not necessary.

3. ?im not sure?

4. i would run the highest octane i can find. here 93 is easy to come by. i ran 93 weeks before i boosted my civic. but as long as you run it near empty, then fill up with premium, it wont make a huge difference.

5. that would be ideal, but i dont think its necessary.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Marty don't think with that a boosted SR20 will need more attention than a N/A...

P10 WRC said:
1. I picked up some mobil 1 sythetic oil. Will i run into any problems running this oil? I plan on changing it every 3 thousand miles or so.
I used it in both of my boosted SR20 (10/30 trisyntetic) really good and change it every 5,000km (about 3,500m) because that was what my manual said. Don't forget a OEM oil filter.

P10 WRC said:
2. Do i need to change the sparkplugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuelpump etc before i do the upgrade? the car runs great now and doesn't seem to need a tune up, but i was just wondering
The tune-up should be done as a maintenance, not because the car is not running good. Either it's N/A or boosted. When was the last time you did it ?

P10 WRC said:
3. where can i get high perfomance gear oil locally in Phoenix?
Just get 4qt. of RedLine MT90.

P10 WRC said:
4. Do i need to run 92 octane gas after i go turbo? should i start doing this now so that there is no residual 87 octane left in the system?
Any boosted engine will benefit from a good gas, you actually can feel the diference.

P10 WRC said:
5. for my new fuel pump, do i need to have the tank almost empty?
It's better to work on a empty tank, that way the fumes won't give you a headache. Get a new ring for the tank.

·
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought the car with 85K miles on it and have not done a tune up since i have owned it (about 7 months and it's at 100K miles now), so i guess it won't hurt to do a tuneup.
I allready have an OEM oil filter waiting to go on
I picked up some Mobile 1 10W30 synthetic too, i think it will be fine.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Marty.. regarding your 92 octane fuel question, keep in mind that you're installing a turbo in a car that is located in HELL. It's gets VERY hot here in the summers.. which can cause detonation in an NA car. The higher octane helps to prevent that in a turbo or higher compression car.

And Carlos, MT 90 is what I told him to buy too. :) He just can't seem to find a store that has it. Marty, call around to some of the pepboys, autozone and or checkers. One of them should have it, I've seen it there before.

If that doesn't work out.. call Anglo American Road Racing, (602) 252-3352. It's a race shop in Phoenix..

Address is:
501 W Apache St
Phoenix, AZ 85003-2718

The have it on the shelf.. I've seen it there before.

·
Registered
436 Posts
1.) I have been running Mobil 1 with no issues.
2.) The fuel pump needs to be upgraded. The rest would be recommended.
3.) No idea.
4.) I run 94 here daily. Just get the highest octane you can get. And a good tune is very important for the gas you are using.
5.) Not necessary. Just don't change it with a full tank of gas.

Good luck and have fun. But I think 12psi might be too high on a T25 and stock RR.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The fuel tank doesn't have to be empty for you to pull it out. you will need to get a new fuel tank o-ring when you replace the pump. what pump did you get? i assume you also already have injectors in/waiting to go in. If you get the walbro 255 pump you are going to need to get a regulator to bring the fuel pressure down. As far as plugs go, just go pick up a set of ngk bkr7e's and gap them down to probably around .028 or .030 and you should be ok. what's your turbo setup consist of?

·
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i picked up a 255lph walbro pump. my setup is as follows
t25 ball bearing
emanage blue
36lb bosch injectors
from what i have read, i don't need a fpr, but maybe you have a reason why i would use one

·
Registered
208 Posts
if you got the high pressure 255 then you are definitely going to need to get yourself a regulator. at the very least, get yourself a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you don't need a regulator.

·
Registered
436 Posts
P10 WRC said:
i thought the p11's had regulators allready? i don't know where i heard that though
It has a stock regulator. However it's probably going to out-run it so it would be better to have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust it on the safe side. I have a Walbro 255lph pump and I needed the adjustable regulator to adjust the fuel pressure. I got the aeromotive one and it's a pretty nice unit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the stock regulator will not control the walbro pump. as little dog said the aeromotive is a nice unit. myself, i have the nismo unit which looks pretty much like the stock unit but its adjustable

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
use a nismo fpr to control the wlbro since i think its 3-5psi higher than stock...the fpr will mainly be used for tuning...on the topic ? how do u guys like emanage?

·
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, where did you guys get the aeromotive unit? i can get a nismo for $100 new, is that a good deal? how much did you pay for the aeromotive?
Marty

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
The stock regulator works fine with a Walbro 255..to a point. I drove with a stock regulator for about a year and half...but my fuel curves were all messed up and I never made the right amount of power at the dyno. At full throttle at around 3500-4000rpms the car seemed to actually loose a lot of power and then the power. After putting in a Nismo FPR, all that went away, and everything is normal now. So, the answer to the question is yes, the Walbro will work with the stock fpr, but the motor will not be where it should be.

Go with a Nismo unit. For our application the Nismo is perfectly fine. Also, it will be a pain in the ass to mount the Aeromotive FPR because usually it requires an AN fitting to be on the fuel rail...which our stock fuel rails don't have. And it's more expensive. The Nismo is practically a plug-n-play, except you have to trim down the fuel intake pipe on it about 1" or so. Don't forget about an in-line fuel gauge. I bought mine from Serban on Sr20forums I believe......he's selling them all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts