Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still learning :D
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp! What's up guys? I've been looking on ebay for crossovers, and don't really know which ones to get. I'm thinking about just settling for these guys right here link. Thoughts?

edit: My budget is about 35 bucks... Thinking about buying cams from Al_s14 :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
get an active electroncic one. Passive crossovers suck compared to preamp active ones. up yur budget to $50 as well. Then you'll be set:)

***edit: wait a sec, are you needing a crossover for compnents or a crossover for your system?? For the speakers, get that one or the oens MEANT for your speakers. for your system, get an active crossover

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
yep... electronic if you can...

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys... I need clarify some stuff. So far, my setup is a Pioneer 4800MP hooked up to four 6 1/2" Pioneers. I just wanna get my tweeters back up, so the one in the link should be good? I'm not looking for show quality sound :) I just wanna take it one step above having a deck.

PS: Hamzter, did you still want me to take pics of my adapters? Cuz, it'd look better if I drew them on paint :p

·
Registered
455 Posts
are the speaker components or coaxials? If coaxials and don't require a crossover for the speakers alone, get the electric active one. If components, and require a crossover for the tweeters and the woofers (which is sounds like you have) get the ones in the link.

hehe, and no one is trying to make a comp level sound...we're just telling you what's better and how to get the most out of your money and system.:)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
LilAznFishinDude said:
Thanks man. I just have cheapy coaxials... :( I was thinking of just diving in and grabbing the infinity kappa kit for like $150.
Is that the coaxial kit or the component kit...

I just got the Polk DB6750 component kit 6 3/4" set for $136 delivered.

I heard them side by side at Fry's Electronics and thought the Polks were way better. I personally would go with the Infinity Reference series speakers myself.

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm... I should take a trip to Fry's. Alright guys, say I sell what I have now. My new budget would be $250. What complete setup would you get for $250?

My new cams should be here in a few days :) Joy!

·
Registered
455 Posts
You know, you went from just buying some crossovers to revamping your system. You do realize that you told us NOT to make you a butt kicking system and now you're inviting us to, right?;)

I' not sure what you have currently, but i wouldn't suggest ditching everything for a $250. I mean, i built my system from the ground up, and its right now at $249 bucks, but i also don't shop at Fry's so my system, without taxes or shipping, which has no head unit or rear speakers at the moment, may not be what you're looking for. Not because it had no head unit or anything, but because, like matt hipple's, my stuff borders on the cost of his stuff. Mama taugh this boy how to shop;) (Sorry i'm very proud of this discovery and i had to brag *cough* i mean share wiht someone :))

i say this: if you have a decent head unit, and you have moderately good speakers, and a good sub, with a nice, MATCHED amp to all woofers, i would invest in a sound processing unit (an EQ and an active crossover) and a bit of deadening. If you dont have a nice matched amp, then i would spend hte money on getting a nice matched amp. If you don't have subs, i would spend the money on subs and a matched amp if you can afford it. If your head unit is crappy, i would upgrade the head unit first, just to see where that gets you. If your headunit is crappy, your subs are none existant and you have mismatched amps to woofers, I'd start all over with CDT's to replace your front stage and some amps to appropriately drive them. I'd also spring for an EQ or crossover of some sort to drive your fronts, rears and subs better.

Maybe i shoudl have followed through wiht that FAQ thing...

Congrats on the cams.

Don't forget to tell us your entire set up in detail tomorrow

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
guys im confused. i thought crossovers were only need for components? but here you have said that they will be used with just simple coaxials. whats the benefit of that? i mean the tweeter is already built in, so i just want to know more.

i install my own systems, but just simple hu>amp>speakers, nothing trippy like adding crossovers where i would never imagine yet...lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, then pick up a good set of components for a nice ebay or sounddomain.com price:)

Short hand of the explanation i lost in a Windwos update reboot:(
Crossovers are used to isolate te desired frequncy to the device or channel that you want it to. If you crossover your system, you generally send the mids and highs to your fronts and rears and your lows to your subs. Each component of yoru system works together with what they're good at. This creates less distortion around your system as high frequncies don't go to yoru subs and low frequencies don't go to your woofers or tweeters. The more complex your system gets, especially if you decide to do proper staging, you will mess around with exactly where the mids and highs ands lows start and end for the fronts, rears and subs.

Typically this means that if you have sound from 20-20000Hz, it will divy up the sound from 120-20000, 90-20000, and 20-120 (they're assuming that you'll have smaller speakers up front and larger ones in back)

Then, with components, or "seperates", or higher end coaxials, you further seperate the frequencies to the tweets, that take the higher frequencies, and the woofers, which take mid frequencies. ie: that 120-20000 Hz will then be broken into 120-10000 and 8000-20000

Here is why an active crossover rules all: it divies up the frequency BEFORE you amplify it. It means that instead of removing frequencies you spent some of that 300W of power amplifying, it will do it before, and you amplify the desired frequencies at 300W. Its just more effiecnt and sounds better too.

These are just arbitraty numbers and htis explanation was done with no sleep last night. SARA1 won't talk back to me anymore and i don't know why...:(.

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmmm... Wise man. Sooo, you're saying that I should ditch my coax's I have in front and buy a set of components? I shouldn't buy a set of crossovers and keep the stock tweeters.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Crossovers...

OK... here goes...

Electronic crossovers are awesome. But it comes with a price. Not $$$ wise, but you will have to install a relay to accomodate the extra accessories you will be running, i.e. at least 2 amp(s), electronic crossover and maybe an EQ.

When installing an aftermarket anything you will want to consider the following:

Wires and cables. I have to admit, I got mine on Ebay for under $100 includes 3 sets of RCA cables, positive and negate connectors, fuse blocks and 4 gauge power wire and speaker cable.

If you are going to run amplifiers, then you will want to re-run 16 or so gauge speaker wire to your new speakers to accomodate the power coming out of the amplifier. The 18 or so gauge wire will not do.

I have considered an Electronic crossover on my audio project, but if the amplifiers have built in variable crossovers, what is the point...

Good luck on your choice...

BTW, you don't have to go to Fry's to listen to speakers. All you need is a CD with all the music you plan on listening to and head out to Circuit City, Best Buy or you favorite Mom and Pop Car audio shop and test out the speakers. Then make not of the model you would like to buy and then shop online albiet www.sounddomain.com or www.ebay.com.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you shouldn't ditch anything if you don't have to. you STILL havne't told me what you're working with (HU, Speakers, AMP...and i mean model numbers). I don't beleive you're getting what you want out of your current system because you aren't giving it what it needs. That's what i'm trying to say.

@hamzter. i've been reading your thread several times. forgive the ignorance of my comments.

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As stated in post 5, all I have is the new Pioneer DEH4800MP hooked up to four 6 1/2" Pioneer 2-ways. It's really, very plain. As for part numbers, I gotta dig up the boxes in the garage. But... It's 3:30 AM and I'm toasted. I'll take a look tomorrow :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
lol., but WHICH pioneer 2 ways. That info will tell us the RMS you need to push out. Dig it up. but something tells me its between 75-90 watts RMS and our HU puts out 22RMS. You're using yoru stock amps i bet cause you would have noted you bought amps. This gets me to my two conculsions, the first one possibly, the second one, will definitely help your sound:

[b[1) You don't need a crossover, the HU has a variable one. If you haven't played with it before, or set it yourself to what you like, then chances are, that's what's killing a bit of your sound.

2) YOU NEED AN AMP. Get yourself a good 4 channel one with atleast 50watts RMS per channel. Bypass yoru factory amp. That's your solution to your problem. :). NOW you can go to Fry's;). [/B]

And dont' worry about the amp. ANY decent 4 cahnnel one wiht atleast 50W RMS (get 75 if you can) will do, because, like you said, they were decent speakers, not bad, but not great.

Setup will be like this
As you don't have subs, just ignore the subwoofer preouts and crossover. I'm not sure, but you're running hte same speakers throughout the car, i don't think it matters too much. Also, you want to keep yoru sub open for when you do get one. I do suggest you get a sub, but hey, its your car:). If you do, then use both options.

The rest is pretty simple, running the wires is the punk of it all. Front out to front in on the amp, rear out to rear in, run the speaker cables accordingly, run the remote from the HU to the amp (ask if you don't know how), run power cable from the battery to the amp, and ground the amp well. You'll need an amp kit, an extra set of RCAs, and 30-40ft of 16 guage speaker wire with 8 female quick disconnect terminal ends (if you sell the car, you'll want to keep the old system intact). Don't go overboard on the wiring, the cheap stuff will do just fine.

Costs
AMP: 70-125 (get used though)
Wiring: 50-75 (by online if you can)
Installation: see what you can get.

I hope this helps. :) Atleast now you odn't have to dig in your garage. Also, if your speakers didn't come with a crossover, don't bother get one.

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ooooh... I should've mentioned that I'm not using the stock amps :) Thems suckers were bypassed ages ago. So, it's just straight HU to speaks. Speakers are Pioneer TS-G1640R. Thanks a lot GenesisFactor. Lots of info, and I'll definitely be reading your posts over and over and... You got it. Time to work extra hours and up the budget ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts