Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this kind of symptom? This occurs to me after I did my throttle cable tensioning. The problem occurs after I hard break or release the throttle pedal to slow down. Does anyone know the cause of this problem?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Can you duplicate it easily? I'll take a look at it at doms.
I'll send out directions today.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I mean can you go, "Look here, i do this, then this and BLAM! Frozen pedal!" :p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Two things come to mind:

1. Highly unlikely due to the age of your car, but my wifes '95 Pathfinder did this. If the throttle body is gunked up with carbon and shit, the plate will stay open or closed for a few seconds as it tries to free itself from the gunk. All I did was clean the throttle body out and lubed the throttle connection at the throttle body.

2. This happened to me on my P10. I tightened the cable too much and did not allow for any slack. This doesn't seem to work to well and the throttle body would stay open a hair. All I did was loosen the nuts a little to release the cable and give it ever so slightly a little slack. Tightened the nuts and Voila'

OR

I have no idea what is going on. Hehehe! :p But hope this helps!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J, yes the problem can be duplicated, as a matter of fact, every time I've been driving since the adjustment.

Well, Nismo, I've thought of that too and I undone the tensioning and gave it enough slack but the problem doesn't seem to go away. There were odd times when I smell gasoline, don't know if it came from the car infront of me or from my engine bay.

There are times when I really have to tap the throttle to unfreeze it but of course in doing so my car jerk forward. It's odd. There are times when it runs perfectly.

Guess I'll let J drive it to see the problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CowboyDren,

Do you know the symptoms to this problem? It starts to annoy me.......

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to surface this thread again mainly because I want to report the latest development of this problem. Don't want to close a thread/problem without the actual solution.

It doesn't look like the throttle pedal freezes because of a dirty body throttle. In most case that would be it but for mine, I had it cleaned out but the problem persist. The car is booked to replace the mechanical part that opens and closes the valve in the throttle body when the pedal is depressed, dont' know what it is called. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. Will update.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have seen this come in my shop a few times on Sentras and they report the same symptoms as you

Check right by the firewall and look at the pedal cable. See if the cable as become frayed and is catching on the firewall. Also have a friedn with the car off push the pedal and watch and see what is going on. The sentra's frayed cable was catching on the firewall and causing the throttle to stay open. The reason you are smelling gas is because the throtle is staying open. One you fix the throttle problem your gas smell should go away.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G20Turbo said:
G-Loads you poor thing! You've been having this lil' problem since f*ing May! Good luck with the new solution.
Thanks for the sympathy. But after driving that long, I learned a new way of driving with the problem. I have to release the pedal when I am at a dead stop and when I am downshifting. It's real annoying when the you want immediate response from the pedal and you get the brick feel in your foot! In that case I would have to clutch in, give the pedal a tap then slowly rpm match and release the clutch. Yup pain in the rear.

93blackbird said:
I have seen this come in my shop a few times on Sentras and they report the same symptoms as you

Check right by the firewall and look at the pedal cable. See if the cable as become frayed and is catching on the firewall. Also have a friedn with the car off push the pedal and watch and see what is going on. The sentra's frayed cable was catching on the firewall and causing the throttle to stay open. The reason you are smelling gas is because the throtle is staying open. One you fix the throttle problem your gas smell should go away.
Actually that is not a bad suggestion at all. I should check it out to see if the cable do get caught in the firewall. But one thing though, I do not smell the gas when the pedal freezes. Hoping the new part in New Year will fix the problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys, after endless anticipation and driving with an added skill to overcome the throttle pedal freezes problem, I now can drive like a normal person!!!

I got the throttle body replaced today and the problem disappeared so I am pretty pleased.

So in summary of the thread, when it comes to a problem relating to throttle pedal, the source of the problem is likely to be the throttle body, as everyone guessed it.

I am so happy!! Yahooo! I now can enjoy the driving of a new car experience again! Vrooooooooooommmmm Sssshhhhpppppppsssssssssssssssss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts