Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas I might pick up a 200sx SE-R from the local lemon lot. It has a new clutch and pressure plate but the pilot bearing(throw out bearing right?) was put it wrong and didnt last when someone test drove it. So how hard is it to put one of these in? I know the tranny has to come out but i've heard its a pain in the ass to get the trans out.....then i've heard its not hard at all? so i'm lost. Also is $6 for one right? everythingg20 has them for that but i thought they were more?

Thanks fam! :smoke:

·
Administrator
5,863 Posts
Nope, their not as bad as you think, its a standard replacement part when you change out a clutch.

It should be in the FSM.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if youve never worked on a tranmission before, i wouldnt do it.

but then again, anything in the tranny i consider "voodoo" in its operation and avoid it. Best to leave that stuff to pros I think. If the car is a great deal, add the cost of the repair and see if it is stilll a great deal.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Dan TurboGP said:
but then again, anything in the tranny i consider "voodoo" in its operation and avoid it. Best to leave that stuff to pros I think.
It's not actually in the tranny... it's in the bellhousing. I'm not sure if you can drop the tranny separately from the engine in SR20s, but if you can, it should be a simple repair.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thefultonhow said:
It's not actually in the tranny... it's in the bellhousing. I'm not sure if you can drop the tranny separately from the engine in SR20s, but if you can, it should be a simple repair.

True

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mautai916 said:
the bearing itself is a breeze to d once you have your tranny OUT of the car... it just snaps right onto the fork.... but the real problem is dropping the tranny out.....
thats what i was asking. How much of a pain would it be to pull the tranny? I'm sure i could do it. I just want to see if it was a tough job for others.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
SleakG20 said:
thats what i was asking. How much of a pain would it be to pull the tranny? I'm sure i could do it. I just want to see if it was a tough job for others.
PITA if your doing it alone for the first time... my first atempt took 6-8 hrs. considering i took my sweet time... It would be very helpful if you have a person helping. But expect it to be a day job usally on ur first attempt doing alone.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can spare 8 hours......thanks!

still not sure if i can get the SE-R though. I thought i had my mustang sold....turned out not to be so. But i got 2 calls about it today so i got my fingers crossed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts