Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so this will just be to show progress. may be slow, but i figured i might as well start a thread like this

money spent so far: $855.23

parts so far:
'96 manual ecu $20.00
shifter linkage $5.00
shifter (came with linkage)
'99 5speed (non-lsd) $320.00
flywheel bolts $20.00
flywheel + (cable) pedal +(cable) clutch cable +(cable) cable bracket +(cable) throwout bearing arm and fork + rear motor mount bracket. $175.00
1999 manual transmission mount $75.47
Gspecperformance stg2 clutch kit $239.76

Pending:
nuttin'

parts needed:
nuttin'

VVV the kyb's i found out that i had.

axles

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Good luck man, and i'm pretty sure it's the drivers side axle that you need. If the 99 transmission isn't hydrolic, then you should be able to use the b13, b14, p10 transmission.

·
Registered
302 Posts
a 99 is a hydraulic clutch. If you're planning on making a lot of power, get a 2000+ transmission, though. They can hold more power than the 99's or older.

http://car-parts.com is a good place to source pretty much anything from a scrap yard, and their transmissions for 2000s are pretty reasonable. I really regret getting a 1999 after the fact because I would have saved like $300 to get a 2000 =S. Got mine from a yard that was close and paid for it. Make sure you get a touring transmission, though! It's worth springing the extra little bit of cash for it.

A couple of things before you delve into this build, though!

If you get a 1999 transmission, you need a transmission mount for a 1999.
If you get a 2000+ transmission, you need a transmission mount for a 2000+.

You need a 1999 shift linkage for a 1999 g20, a 2000+ will not work.

If you want a Fidanza, ebay has pretty much the best price, something like $300. Just make sure you get the right tooth number or you'll throw a CEL.

As to the drive axles, your best bet is to replace both, as they're listed separate on everythingg20.net If you're pressed for cash, I believe the passenger side will work from the AT, but the driver's side definitely has to be changed from auto to manual. If you swap from a non-LSD to an LSD transmission and you intend to swap from a non-LSD to an LSD axle on the passenger side, you have to change the axle bearing bracket.

[email protected] has an excellent write-up on a 5 speed swap

http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39006&highlight=speed+swap

read your heart out!

couple of shameless plugs here:
If you're looking for a flywheel, I have a stock sr20 flywheel from one of black95g20's part outs up for sale if you're interested.
If you're using a 2000+ transmission, I have a transmission mount for sale as well.
I also have a clutch operating cylinder for sale as well.
I also have a passenger LSD axle with the outer cv joint needing rebuilt. The boot and everything is in perfect condition, it just got stretched out and needs popped back in. Somebody on here has a howto on removing the boot, fixing it and putting the boot back on, but I haven't dont it myself.

·
"the government"
2,615 Posts
ok so this will just be to show progress. may be slow, but i figured i might as well start a thread like this

parts so far:
'96 manual ecu

parts needed:
99-(02?) manual transmission
shifter linkage
shifter
passenger axle (or is it the drivers side that you need to replace)
flywheel
clutch
clutch pedal/master cylinder
hard lines

will the p10 manual transmission bolt up to the p11 sr20? i've got access to a lot of p10 parts, but little if any p11 parts.
Did you check [email protected]'s p11 5 speed swap how to? It has a complete listing of everything you need, plus what's interchangeable.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a 99 is a hydraulic clutch. If you're planning on making a lot of power, get a 2000+ transmission, though. They can hold more power than the 99's or older.

http://car-parts.com is a good place to source pretty much anything from a scrap yard, and their transmissions for 2000s are pretty reasonable. I really regret getting a 1999 after the fact because I would have saved like $300 to get a 2000 =S. Got mine from a yard that was close and paid for it. Make sure you get a touring transmission, though! It's worth springing the extra little bit of cash for it.
thanks for the heads up about the 2000+ tranny, seeing as how the only thing i need to work on with driving a manual, is starting from a dead stop. once i'm going though ii don't have a problem shifting. but i'll defenatly get the stronger tranny, also i'm really hard pressed for cash (saving for college) but i figure if spend at least $250.00 per month on parts i should have all the parts inside of 6 months. would like it to be sooner. but at least i'm making more headway now that i got the ecu (a major part to the swap)
Did you check [email protected]'s p11 5 speed swap how to? It has a complete listing of everything you need, plus what's interchangeable.
i checked that, but it didn't seem to say exactly why the p10 manual can't go on a p11, really i just want it for the cable, i like the stiffness of the cable clutch better than the hydraulic clutch. i drove polg20's car so i could learn manual, but didn't like how the pedal had to go all the way to the floor in order to work.

·
"the government"
2,615 Posts
i checked that, but it didn't seem to say exactly why the p10 manual can't go on a p11, really i just want it for the cable, i like the stiffness of the cable clutch better than the hydraulic clutch. i drove polg20's car so i could learn manual, but didn't like how the pedal had to go all the way to the floor in order to work.
Cool, just making sure you checked that first. In the link that's additional reading (http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46382) there is what you need to do to convert the hydro setup to a clutch cable. You'll still need a 99+ tranny, but will have to convert that to a cable set up. Sounds like that's what you want.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, you definitely can convert to a cable clutch, but I think polg20's clutch might be on it's way out or needs some adjustment. My hydraulic clutch lets go almost as soon as I press it.

$250/month for 6 months should get you in the ball park of what you need, just look around for good deals, and don't throw money into performance parts you don't necessarily need. Also, make sure to double, triple, even check your work four times if this is your first time doing a swap like this. When I did mine, I ended up having to spend $100 on a new shift linkage because I had one from a 2000 that didn't match up to a 1999. I threw $150 for a clutch kit down the drain because I didn't install the brake pedal properly and it ate up all 4 rotors, pads, and my clutch within 3 miles which is somewhere in another $150 ballpark range.. =S I wasted $130 on a new drive axle when I could have easily rebuilt the one I have and saved a lot of money. Then ontop of all of that, I couldn't help myself and bought a fidanza flywheel (under the justification of I didn't want to have to drop my transmission to install a flywheel down the road) a TWM short shifter (I was already installing a shifter, why not?) an optima red top and what the hell, since I was already doing all of this work, why not get a Secret Weapon intake since there's a group buy going on and I'm already doing all of this work.

Moral of the story, be prepared to have to spend more than you originally planned and be informed on what you're getting ahead of time.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, you definitely can convert to a cable clutch, but I think polg20's clutch might be on it's way out or needs some adjustment. My hydraulic clutch lets go almost as soon as I press it.

$250/month for 6 months should get you in the ball park of what you need, just look around for good deals, and don't throw money into performance parts you don't necessarily need. Also, make sure to double, triple, even check your work four times if this is your first time doing a swap like this. When I did mine, I ended up having to spend $100 on a new shift linkage because I had one from a 2000 that didn't match up to a 1999. I threw $150 for a clutch kit down the drain because I didn't install the brake pedal properly and it ate up all 4 rotors, pads, and my clutch within 3 miles which is somewhere in another $150 ballpark range.. =S I wasted $130 on a new drive axle when I could have easily rebuilt the one I have and saved a lot of money. Then ontop of all of that, I couldn't help myself and bought a fidanza flywheel (under the justification of I didn't want to have to drop my transmission to install a flywheel down the road) a TWM short shifter (I was already installing a shifter, why not?) an optima red top and what the hell, since I was already doing all of this work, why not get a Secret Weapon intake since there's a group buy going on and I'm already doing all of this work.

Moral of the story, be prepared to have to spend more than you originally planned and be informed on what you're getting ahead of time.
i've kinda been down that road before with finding out you got the wrong part(s). i am think of getting a fidenza flywheel but maybe still the stock clutch, i do eventualy want to put a det into my car.

what i think i might do for the shift linkage is:

go to the junkyard and get the linkage form at least 2 manual p10/b13 cars. my uncle has an arc welder that i know how to use. so i'll just cut and weld together a shift linkage that is the correct length. unless someone knows were a manual '99 p11 is in a junkyard, so i could get the linkage from there.

the only p11 i found at my local junkyard was '99 auto :( it also had been in a very bad crash, so i doubt that there is anything left to be salvaged

basically unless it is my only option i'm trying to avoid buy parts from everythingg20.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you looked around the for sale section, here?

I got a whole bunch from black95g20 when I was doing mine for something like $500. Look around on car-parts.com and I'm willing to bet you could call somebody who has a 1999 5 speed transmission and get them to send you the shift linkage and what not for $100 or less. Like I said, I've got a few things left that you could definitely get on a steal.. ;)

I would definitely get a key value clutch kit from everythingg20.net You're not going to put near enough power for anything better anytime soon and it's a very affordable option.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you looked around the for sale section, here?

I got a whole bunch from black95g20 when I was doing mine for something like $500. Look around on car-parts.com and I'm willing to bet you could call somebody who has a 1999 5 speed transmission and get them to send you the shift linkage and what not for $100 or less. Like I said, I've got a few things left that you could definitely get on a steal.. ;)

I would definitely get a key value clutch kit from everythingg20.net You're not going to put near enough power for anything better anytime soon and it's a very affordable option.
i checked car-part.com, but they only have 1 transmission that will work on my car, but it's a non-lsd '99 manual in tucson for $550. not really something that i would drive down there for a transmission that may or may not still be good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Have you tried calling, you might be able to get them to ship. Iono, there were a lot of g's on there when I was doing my swap, that could very well have changed. Try sites like junkyarddogs.com and see what you get back. Other than that, look around ebay and our for sale section, hopefully you can find something. I wish you the best of luck, though!

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
my clutch is still original 100k+ so i bet its not that fresh, but i think your suppese to push it in all the way in to shift, mine i think has long pedal travel, compared to other manuals i drove recently. thunder have you checked aara.com for parts ? and good luck with it man.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well so far i found 2 transmissions that i could get both are '99 manual, one is lsd, and the other is non lsd. the guy selling the lsd one is cheaper, but don't know how long it will be for sale. also the guy selling the lsd tranny said he might even throw in the linkage if the buyer wants it.

ggrrr i gotta wait 1-2 more paychecks before i can get the transmission. then it will be smooth sailing after that. next after that will be getting the axles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
let me know when you get to the axles part, ;) By the way, if the guy with the LSD transmission is willing to throw in the linkages, see if you can get the axles and the axle bearing bracket from him.. You might be able to knock out most of the things you need (including the clutch hardware, like the hardlines, softlines, pedals, master cylinder, dampener, and operating cylinder)

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
has anyone heard of vivid racing? i think that's what it's called. i meet a guy named evan, at the pavilions car show, he said he had a b13, and that if i needed help getting parts, to call him up at vivid racing. anyone heard of that place or of him, he said he knows jon.

thinking of calling him and see if he can get me a good deal on a tranny that works.

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
has anyone heard of vivid racing? i think that's what it's called. i meet a guy named evan, at the pavilions car show, he said he had a b13, and that if i needed help getting parts, to call him up at vivid racing. anyone heard of that place or of him, he said he knows jon.

thinking of calling him and see if he can get me a good deal on a tranny that works.
My brother bought his gram lights from his friend that used to work there. They mostly deal with high end cars like Evos, STI's, and such. That guy Evan has a black b13 with sr20ve right? I think I met him before too. I don't know if he would be able to help you with a tranny, cause its mostly just aftermarket stuff at Vivid.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what happened to your write up regarding how to red the in-dash bulbs? I was waiting for it :)
sorry man, been busy with work and helping my bro get his car fixed up. send me a pm on thursday reminding me. i'm off of work that day.

2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump.

went to teh junkyard and got the shifter, linkage, and the bottom bracket/rubber seal thing. all that for $5 :cool:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts