Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my clutch changed to a Bully Stage 3 6-puck clutch along with new GM syncomesh fluid, new throw-out bearing.
http://www.bullyclutch.com/indexen.html
The tranny is making a loud ticking noise at idle with the clutch engaged (in neutral) with the pedal released. When the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed) the noise would go away. If I let out the clutch pedal slowly the noise would be barely audible. Otherwise the clutch is working great.

I searched and found some say it's the throw-out bearing? Wouldn't it be the other way around if it's the TOB i.e. tick with clutch pedal depressed?
Could it be the input shaft bearing going bad?
Would it be the tranny doesn't like the oil? What oil is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It's the throwoutbearing that's making the noise.

Luppo

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Definitely the throwout bearing. My Subaru has been doing the exact same thing since I got it in January, and the mechanic diagnosed it as the throwout bearing. I have been driving it for a year though and although it has gotten worse, it is still drivable. The only functional problem is that if I try to let the clutch out slowly without giving it a lot of gas (like if I am trying to inch forward at a light on flat ground) the car judders like crazy as the clutch engages and disengages. Because of that I've been slipping the clutch pretty severely since I got it and shortening its life. But if you don't have that problem, I see it as more of an annoyance than an actual issue.

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
i would think it to be the pilot bearing....because when the clutch is engaged...the throwout bearing doesn't touch anything, doesnt even spin. it just sits there. when the pedal is depressed, the throwout bearing starts to spin, and the pilot bearing just sits there. that's how i was taught at least.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
P11Gdub said:
so Tsan and Martin better come. Tsan's gonna buy my H&R springs, and i really don't wanna drive up just to sell them.
is it just ticking? Cause the way it sounds on my Spec Stage 2+ clutch, my disc actually sounds like its flopping around unless i hold the clutch down....

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is a normal noise. Thats the chatter from the 6 puck clutch. My car does this (ACT 6 unsprung 6 puck, HD PP), my brothers car (same clutch setup as me), and my cousin(ACT extreme PP, Clutchnet 6 Puck). Don't worry about it. You may also hear a squeal when releasing the clutch slowly as you leave from a stop.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You also have the wrong fluid. Only GL-4 is to be used. Using GL-5 will corrode the syncros in a Nissan transmission.

·
Registered
288 Posts
release bearing will be noise when pedel is depressed (clutch disengaged).
a tranny input shaft bearing will be noise when the pedal is released (clutch engaged)
a pilot bearing will be noise when at a stop in 1st/2nd gear with pedal depressed (clutch disengaged), pilot bearing noise will occur at this time whenver the tranny input shaft speed is different from the crank speed.
also, as stated above, wrong fluid may cause noise.
hope this helps

-Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is very difficult to find GL-4 tranny fluid now. More than likely you will find Coastal I think its 75W90 or something like that which is rated for GL-3/GL-4/GL-5. Try to get some redline gear oil but I am more than postive that it is your 6 puck giving you the chatter.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sorry, did not mean that the fluid would cause your noise. It will not. However, you need to get the proper fluid in there to prevent longer term problems. Amsoil actually makes a GL-4 full synthetic transmission oil. A little pricey, but its the last time you will have to change the oil.
Any standard oil (not synthetic) that states it is approved for GL-5 is the wrong oil, even if it lists GL-4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts