Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my engine on my 94 keeps ticking from the top of the block. It increases as the revs go up to a certain point. Is that something witht eh valves and lifter? How hard/expensive is it to fix all that? I just bought the car. Here is what I am going to do

Change AT fluid, oil, coolant
Change drivebelts, PCV valve, o2 sensor, distributor rotor and cap, spark plugs, plug wires.

What else do i have to watch for, the engine has 126K on it

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Not to freak you out or anything. but I got a sound from the top of my engine after I raced it a bit (I had just bought my car with 130K miles on it). I didn't know it then but I had spun out my connecting rod bearings or some shit, and later, my engine completely went out and I had to get an engine swap. I doubt it's something as extreme as that...but who knows. Just get your entire car checked out, especially if you've just bought it.

I think I had dented my oil pan, causing engine failure (SR20DEs are horribly sensitive about that). I learned my lesson. Don't drift over loose sand. Going over curbs at high speeds breaks things, and also helps reduce the risk of going into ditches....

·
Registered
562 Posts
It increases as the revs go up to a certain point.
ok I had the same problem but my car is a 1999 and only 62K miles. You say it makes a clicking to a certain point...I am guessing around 3K...well I asked this question before and it isn't the rod bearing...because you can hear that in any RPM...Its your lifters...one must have went bad or something...what you can try is using thicker oil....by doing this you close the gap...if the sound goes away then you know its lifters...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to my friend, he said it is lifter too. See I dont think it is a connecting bearing because it doesnt sound like i spun a bearing. This is what it sounds like at idle

tick,tick,tick,tick. As rev increase, it tends to die down, then at certain RPM (around 3000RPM). It comes roaring back. I am not real familiar with how a piston engine works, but i am thinking either the valves or the lifter. I found the valve is out since it is hydralic. So how much is it to fix the lifter? How hard? I dont think i will touch it myself since i dont know much about these engine. can you guys tell me how much it is to fix it. thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Honestly I think it would be pretty much how much it would cost to change cams...I have a 1999 SR20DE in my garage and I recently pulled the cams out...and then the lifters and shims...so pretty much cam labor plus parts..I'm guessing on this...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts