Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

how can i get the boot circled in red out..i tried to get the damn tie rod end out with no damn luck its like caked in there.. in the fsm theres a way to get the whole thing out tie rod end along with thin part..just wanted to know if any one had any experience..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i tried whats on pic 1..but like i said its like caked in there..and theres on room for me to use a braker bar..i dun have a lift..
[/IMG]

but is there way to separate it from here marked in red..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P10 WRC said:

you have to losen the nut and then twist the bar.

to get the tie rod end off you have to go to autozone and rent a tool to get it off

i actually just tapped underneath the tie rod end and it pop right out..with the nut covering the threads of course..

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Have you taken the inner end of the boot off the rack and had a look at the inner tie rod end ?? I'm not sure on how it comes off, it will probably have a locking mechanism like a piece of metal hammered into a recess to stop it undoing.

I'd do the outer tie rod though. Refit it and then break that nut free with some large stilsons.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
GDub26 said:
yea i tried whats on pic 1..but like i said its like caked in there..and theres on room for me to use a braker bar..i dun have a lift..
[/IMG]

but is there way to separate it from here marked in red..
No, that is not the proper way and is more work and has a higher potential that you will damage something.
Soak the tie rod nut overnight with penetrating oil. Then heat the nut up with a propane torch, and then remove it. It should loosen. Striking your wrench with a big hammer will often break the nut free.
Before doing this, you need to measure the distance from the center of the tie rod spindle to the end of the nut you are trying to remove. Record that distance.
Once you loosen the nut you will have to unscrew the tie rod from the threaded rod. Count the number of turns it takes to remove it. Remove the nut also. Another way is to paint the nut and threaded rod area before you remove anything. Then when you reassemble you put it back using the painted area as a guide. I usually do all three.
After you put your new boot on, thread the nut on and then thread the tie rod on, counting the number of turns until you get to the number it took to take it off. Tighten the nut up against the tie rod. Measure the distance from the tie rod spindle to the nut. It should be the same as the measurement you previously took.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn looks like ama have to go back at it..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
u can try that..i still have yet to work on mine..im thinkin of just goin to a mechanic to do it..i mean it shouldnt take them long at all..

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
92_G20_PA said:
So I'm dealing with the exact same problem now. That damn tie rod nut doesn't want to budge. I've tried soaking it with PB blaster and gripping with 2 wrenches. Should I move on to the propane torch?
That's the only way that peice of shit was coming off for me.

Good luck :p

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I would have left it in the hub for a start while trying to break it free instead of trying while it's flopping around. I'd wedge one wrench/spanner/stilsons against the LCA or sway bar then you con put lots of pressure on the other wrench/spanner/stilsons.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, I tried it both while secure in the hub, and while loose, still no go. I'll have to try the torch. It's too bad about that damn ripped tie rod end though, just another little thing to buy. :*( <Hmm, consult a part out, or buy new?>

Oh, and once I do get the nut loose, is it critical that I put it back EXACTLY where it was originally? Will my alignment be off if I fail to put it within the exact millimeter?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
buy a new ones on ebay..when u take it off just count how many times u turned it b4 it cam off and do the same thing when u put back on..lemme know how it goes.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
92_G20_PA said:
<Hmm, consult a part out, or buy new?>

Oh, and once I do get the nut loose, is it critical that I put it back EXACTLY where it was originally? Will my alignment be off if I fail to put it within the exact millimeter?
For a part like that I'd buy new. If I remember correctly they weren't too costly, I replaced my rack and both tie rod ends (had to disconnect the old ones for the core return).

As far as putting them EXACTLY where they were... yes, you do. The tie rod end is the adjustment for the toe (Main cause of excessive tire wear). I'd put it on exactly, and even still get an alignment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts