Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if it is suggestable to advance your timing if your going to install jwt s3 cams?? i used search but didn't find anything

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
If you are running a stock ECU I think you'd want to actually retard the timing to somewhere around 13 degrees. With a JWT ECU and S3 program I believe it should be 15 degrees.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
JustinP10 said:
If you are running a stock ECU I think you'd want to actually retard the timing to somewhere around 13 degrees. With a JWT ECU and S3 program I believe it should be 15 degrees.
Yea. That is what I have read as well.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Yea. That is what I have read as well. And my buddy has a set in his 99 Sentra SE w/timing set at around 13

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
DO NOT run the S3 cams with advanced timing, your car will hate you...

....if you have your timing advanced retard it first....

I run mine at about 15 deg...I havent tried 13 or so deg but I plan to for shits and giggles....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody, this helps me out

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna take a guess and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm gonna say that since you have cams with higher lift, your gonna want to let them stay open for a longer period before you ignite the gas..... ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cams will increase cylinder pressures at higher RPMs

...from the point where the JWT cammed engine torque curve crosses above the stocker all the way to redline.

but detonation is less of a problem at higher RPMs due to increased air flow (cooling) and pumping efficiencies, so I'm not sure where the 13 degrees btdc came from

JWT advised me to set timing at factory specs after installing their S3 roller cams

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
manzano said:
JWT advised me to set timing at factory specs after installing their S3 roller cams
Factory specs is 15 degrees +/-2 degrees. So 13 degrees would be within factory specs and also conservative.

Most manufacturers will set the timing on new cars to the least extreme to have the car pass Cali emmisions laws easier, etc. Well, that is what I was told from some Nissan guy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
tdog551 said:
I'm gonna take a guess and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm gonna say that since you have cams with higher lift, your gonna want to let them stay open for a longer period before you ignite the gas..... ?
You got one of a few parameters right.

Folks, don't you know what the JWT S3 cams are? What they design to do? How is it different from their other series? The S3 cams are known to have high lift and long duration. What exactly does that mean? A little dig into tech paper and you'll know why. I, or Geo, can re-iterate if needed be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts