Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My car w/c is 93.5 g20 has 64,000miles on it ,Do i need to change the timing belt even if i don't see any problem with my car.and how much do you think it 'll cost me for this kind of job.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
ACK! :monster: You don't have a timing belt!!

Please search the forum on this!

Read up on the SR20DE here:

www.se-r.net

By the way the SR20DE is the engine in your car. :tired:

·
Registered
177 Posts
DUDE! this is not a cheap honda--You have a timing chain not a belt!--Make sure it is serviced regularly and gets some rpm revs above 3000 and you should be okay--

·
Registered
117 Posts
hehe

just because a car uses a timing belt doesnt mean its a cheap honda. my friend's 97 supra uses a timing belt...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't be so sensitive--bottom line is that maf's went to timing belts because they were cheaper---many maf's like the reliability of timing chains

·
Registered
130 Posts
You still have a few miles to go yet, I think at about 150000 it would be a good idea to change the chain, or maybe a little less. It doesnt look like a very fun job to do, I have 135000 on mine and it will soon be time to do it. Ughhh. :-\

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ProjectG20 said:
You still have a few miles to go yet, I think at about 150000 it would be a good idea to change the chain, or maybe a little less. It doesnt look like a very fun job to do, I have 135000 on mine and it will soon be time to do it. Ughhh. :-\

Don't even bother. Changing the chain is almost as expensive as installing a JDM engine. These chains are near bulletproof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lee756 said:
Don't be so sensitive--bottom line is that maf's went to timing belts because they were cheaper---many maf's like the reliability of timing chains
Not just because they are cheaper but because they are also quieter and have less mass, something that can be quite significant at high engine speeds. My g20 engine is MUCH noiser than my WRX engine which has a timing belt.

edit: One more thing, timing chains tend to stretch over time, thus the timing changes slightly, hurting performance. I change the chain on my old 280Z every 60K because of this but defininitely not worth the effort on the G20.

my $0.02

Ross

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
hey g20jo just say thank you nissan for the chain and not belt because you do not even want to know the kind of damage that happens when you timing belt breaks it is def not cool like justin said it will be a while before you ever need to change chain!

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it. it should never really break. yeah that is one of the only drawbacks to japanese engines is that they are close tollerance and a break in the timing belt or chain=new engine. but hey they can't be perfect.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if all Nissan engines use timing chains instead of belts? I know the KA uses a chain. Did the smaller engines like the GA use chains too? How about the VG and RB?

Thanks!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
P10 WRC said:
i wouldn't worry about it. it should never really break. yeah that is one of the only drawbacks to japanese engines is that they are close tollerance and a break in the timing belt or chain=new engine. but hey they can't be perfect.
Depends on the engine and it has more to do with whether the engine is designed as an interference or non-interference engine. http://www.lambsauto.com/belts.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts