Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble removing the timing chain cover/front cover.

trying to set the cam timing so I can line up the chain but the cover won't pop off.

What am I missing here? Sprocket is off, the bolts are off, the top will pry out but the bottom is stuck and it is stuck around the crank. If pry any harder, I'm sure it will crack.

The Mitchell manual and the Chilton's both say "remove front cover" and shows the bolt location. Thats it.

I didn't see any threads so????

The gasget maker isn't that strong.

any ideas out there?

frog1975,
93 g20
drive it like you stole it

:-\

·
Registered
880 Posts
well, you don't need to remove anything except your valve cover to adjust your cam gears. All you need to do is loosen the small nuts on the gear and turn the crank by hand to reach all of them and then adjust the gear to the desired setting. Then reverse the process.

if you do anything more you risk screwing up your timing big time.

oh the other way you could adjust your cam gears is to remove the chain tensioner, guide, and cams with the chain ziptied to the gears and then adjust them. Either way you choose you don't need to remove any surface part of the motor except the valve cover. I sure hope you didn't screw up your motor already.:paranoid:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you do anything more you risk screwing up your timing big time.

I am replacing the engine because the #1 rod shot through the block.

To the point where the heads are ready to put on. The chain tensioner is out.

And no, there are no ties on the timing chain or sprokets.

The best I can tell is the oil pan needs to be removed as an assembly from the block. I have not done this yet

Is this what is holding up the show?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm confused. If you are replacing your motor, why are you dismatling it part by part while it's in the car? just drop the motor with the tranny attached, reattach the tranny to the new motor, and then put it back in the car. Once the motor is out the car sure go ahead and dismantle it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
hmmm there's 5 bolts holdiing the front cover on. then there's 3 that sit on top where the head bolts on. i don't remember but you might have to pull off the upper oil pan but i don't remember cuz i already had my oil pan off when i pulled off the front cover.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: if you do anything more you risk screwing up your timing big time.

frog1975 said:

The best I can tell is the oil pan needs to be removed as an assembly from the block. I have not done this yet

Is this what is holding up the show?

Yup, you have to take off the oil pans. There are bolts to the timing chain cover from underneath. Two or three if I remember right. Have a nice day!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
response is appriciated

Thanks BritC, Platypus and Mike for your candor.

I do have the engine spread out in my garage because my hands are way too big for that engine bay.

There are two places on the bottom of the front cover that have suspisious housing for bolts that the manual didn't mention.

However, after re-reading Chilton, there was a mention about the oil pan was included. opps and da,mm.

I just hope the oil pan removal isn't as intense as the manual say's.

Again, thanks for the response
frog 1975

·
Registered
467 Posts
hmmm there's 5 bolts holdiing the front cover on. then there's 3 that sit on top where the head bolts on. i don't remember but you might have to pull off the upper oil pan but i don't remember cuz i already had my oil pan off when i pulled off the front cover.
NO, There are TEN 10mm bolts that hold the front cover on, plus the TWO that screw upward from the oil pan, plus the TWO small ones at the very top of the cover.
Be sure you have removed the bolts at the upper "corners" of the cover. They bolt through a thin portion of the cover, which can snap if enough prying pressure is applied.
See the second diagram down on the list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts