Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 g20 with low miles, and it runs fine but when it is cold the idle bounces around until it warms up, I took it to a shop and thay told me that everything is fine except for the timing chain tensioner I guess the engine can not delay or advance the timing becuise of the tensioners are worn out. The shop wanted like $1200.00 to fix this, so I am going to try to do it my self.
Has any one else had this problem? If so is it hard to do?

·
el capitán Nismo
2,245 Posts
$1200 for a timing chain tensioner replace? Give me $1000 and I'll do it for you!

No seriously. A Timing Chain Tensioner costs what? $70 or something. Installing the tensioner takes literally 5 minutes. It's easier if you change the tensioner when you change the oil.

This can be done by anyone with minimum wrench experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THATS GOOD TO KNOW I HOPE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING! I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE TO GET INTO THE ENGINE A LITTLE MORE THEN THAT. ISNT THE TENSIONER DOWN INSIDE THE BLOCK UNDER THE CAM GEARS? AND WOULD I HAVE TO PULL THE CHAIN OFF? IF ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME A GOOD PLACE TO FIND A DIAGRAME SO I DONT HAVE TO GO BUY A BOOK FOR $30 THAT WOULD BE COOL.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Make sure they are talking about the timing chain tensioner and not the timing chain guides that are bad. I would hope a shop wouldn't charge $1200 to replace the timing chain tensioner, because that should be considered rape in most states.
If it's the timing chain guides, then there is a lot more work involved than replacing the $70 or tensioner. I don't know what most shops would charge to replace the guides, but you may want to call around to a few shop to get other quotes, if it's the guides.

Maybe G20-tech can comment about the work involved.

Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks you guys. I am not an expert @ working on the g20 yet but i am going to try. i will take pics while it is in progress and try to give the run down, maybe it will help someone else. Thanks again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
do a search on this forum for timing chain tensioner and it will pop up a link that will show you step by step how to change the tensioner

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is thread locker recommended to use when replacing the timing chain guides and bolts? The FSM spec. for the guide bolts is only 9 - 14 ft. lbs. That makes me suspect that thread locker would be a good idea.
Red or blue, or none at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts