Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should the timing be for the G? not advanced. my car is stock and im just trying to get it to run right.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
stock they are suppose to be 15* +/- 2* good luck, if you tell us some of the problems we might be able to help you diagnose

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dilong26 said:
what should the timing be for the G? not advanced. my car is stock and im just trying to get it to run right.
Your target should be 15 degrees. Make sure you use the factory method for setting the timing. You can't just hook up a timing light and check the timing. You have to put the engine into timing mode.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
jjacob said:
Your target should be 15 degrees. Make sure you use the factory method for setting the timing. You can't just hook up a timing light and check the timing. You have to put the engine into timing mode.
is it bad to advance the timimg (to 19*) just using a timing light?

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
P11Gdub said:
is it bad to advance the timimg (to 19*) just using a timing light?

using a timing light is the proper procedure for setting the timing. the point he was making was to make sure its in timing set mode (disconnect tps, rev engine, etc). if you set the timing without it being in timing mode, the computer will pretty much null any change you made.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx alot guys

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i can see the marks on the pulley, but i cant tell which one is which...any guidance would be helpful lol
thx

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
what does it do to the car to move the timming? i know nothing about this so i would like to know. Thanks...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cesardrgn said:
what does it do to the car to move the timming? i know nothing about this so i would like to know. Thanks...
good question. i dont know either.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
basically, the timing referred to here is ignition timing. totally different from cam timing. it refers to degrees BTDC (before top dead center). advancing the timing makes the spark plug spark a couple degrees earlier. this can gain you a couple horsepower as the factory uses a conservative setting of 15 degrees to avoid detonation. advancing to 17-19 degrees will require you to use higher octane fuel. this is only a basic description of what "timing" is.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
brammes said:
i can see the marks on the pulley, but i cant tell which one is which...any guidance would be helpful lol
thx
a couple of marks on the balancer are closer together than the others. the one in the middle of the close together markings should be stock setting of 15 degrees. mark the mark that you want to adjust the timing to with white out (obviously while the engine is turned off!!) this will make the mark easier to see with the timing light

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey guys i drive a b13 but same motor so same family :)

anyways..iv asked a few techs and they all tell me that you just need to turb the dizzi up and 2 clicks back to be at 19 degrees and they said theres no NEED for a timing light but you can use one. Is there really any harm in doing it this way? and about the ecu not learning the timing adjust isnt true from what i have heard since the timing goes by the dizzi and it runs the motor you dont need to do the "rain dance"

im not a smart ass i just want to know if this is true. Cuz i did my timing before i knew all this and i did it just by turning it all the way up and 2 clicks back and i tfeel the difference.....also if i do end up needing to do the rain dance can i still do it even though its moved already?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ICE said:
hey guys i drive a b13 but same motor so same family :)

anyways..iv asked a few techs and they all tell me that you just need to turb the dizzi up and 2 clicks back to be at 19 degrees and they said theres no NEED for a timing light but you can use one. Is there really any harm in doing it this way? and about the ecu not learning the timing adjust isnt true from what i have heard since the timing goes by the dizzi and it runs the motor you dont need to do the "rain dance"

im not a smart ass i just want to know if this is true. Cuz i did my timing before i knew all this and i did it just by turning it all the way up and 2 clicks back and i tfeel the difference.....also if i do end up needing to do the rain dance can i still do it even though its moved already?
Your "techs" are incorrect. You need to use a timing light, and you need to follow the factory procedure. Nissan knows a little more than the guys you are talking to. The factory procedure is easy and adds like only two minutes to the procedure. Why wouldn't you want to do it the right way?

·
Registered
36 Posts
well cuz just turning the dizzi gave me some more power and i just wanted to know why i would need to go through the trouble of buying a timinig light and doing the ecu rain dance...i just want an explanation as to why it has to be done.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Yes you can advance it without a light, but how do you know what setting you now have it at ???

As for doing the 'rain dance', without it the ECU will retard the timing, if you had a light you could check this for yourself. Yes the dizzy is what sets the timing but only in conjuction with the ECU, on an older car the timing was mechanical so turning the dizzy phsically caused the points to open earlier. On the electronic system, the dizzy contains a camshaft position sensor and the ECU uses that to determine the engine position and from that and other sensors it determines the point to fire the spark. Advancing the timing just adjusts the ECU's map by a couple of degrees.

I've never tried, but if you move the dizzy with the engine off then yes it will advance and the ECU won't retard it, but to check you need to use a timing light and you also need to put it into timing mode to check with the light so you may aswell do it the proper way ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh ok so how i had it done is ok since the ecu wont retard the timing the only downfall is that i wont know if its at the timing i want. i guess tomorrow ill get the timing light and check out the timing. But thanks for clearing that up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts