Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had all the info for my timing but when I went to do it today, the first thing i forgot was to rev it up. then I got it all working but I don't see the white mark like I read on the sr20 forum I only see the lines. I found this on the b15 sentra site and it seems more like what I need to do. I had it done the first time by mechanic but I wanted to got to 19* since I run nothing but 94 (when I can't get I use 93). I think I retarded it by using the sr20 way. I'll try again tommorro

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hehe; yeah, I wrote that. I've used this proceedure on a half-dozen cars, and it works on every one. What kind of timing light are you using?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A very oooolllllllddddddd one. the procedure I got from the sr20forum was pretty much backwards. I think I returned it back to stock( counter acting my mechanics 17*)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, it doesn't really matter how old or fancy it is; I'm actually a bit of a fan of the non-fancy variety in this case. Since Nissan was kind enough to degree the crank pulley for us, it's just a little silly to go out and buy a $120 light with dialback and a tach and all of that. ;)

Also, you really shouldn't run anything over 91 octane fuel. 91o doesn't start to knock on an SR20 with 9.5:1 compression even at low altitudes until about 21* or more of base advance, so more than 91 can actually be hurting your performance.

Think about it: Octane rating, as it applies to fuels in the US, pertains to exactly one thing -- detonation resistance. Detonation, remember, is just ignition that happens too soon. Thus, detonation resistance is also ignition resistance, so there's a chance that 93 or 94o wouldn't be burning quite as well as quickly as 91. Oh, and you'll save about a buck a tank, too! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts