Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been covered many times but I haven't seen anything like I have in mind.

I have recently removed the old tint from the rear windows of my G and want to replace it with good quality stuff. I don't want it as dark as it was before, I think it was the darkest at 5%. Just way too dark for my liking.

I was thinking of doing this, 20% on the rear back window, and 35% on the rear drivers/passenger side doors. Has anyone else done this and do you have pictures?

Reason I want the rear window darker is that since its a big piece of glass, if I get 35% then I'm afraid it will look even lighter (like 50%) compared to the side of the car. So i'm hoping that by getting 20%, it will look somewhat even in darkness to the sides.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
after getting tint 3 times, i wouldn't mix tint shades. looks cheap. go light-meduin tint all around.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
the back window and the sides being mismatched wont be that bad. i think it will look fine. on my mustang i had 5% on the hatch and 20% on the side and it looked good. the problem with mixing tint% comes when you do it on windows right next to each other (front and rear windows). then i think it looks silly

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.

Ok, here is what the previous owner did. Got the back 3 windows done at the same time, all turned purply. Later, someone got the front side windows done at 50%. It looks newer so its not purple, yet.

By law, i'm not even allowed to have the front side windows done anyways, but with the sunroof open it doesn't look too dark.

So yeah, if I did this, it would be 50% front, 35% rear sides, then 20% rear window :D But I have no idea of what it would really look like unless I just went and got it done.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
P11Gdub said:
after getting tint 3 times, i wouldn't mix tint shades. looks cheap. go light-meduin tint all around.
+1
Pick one shade and do it all around. Its legal here in Ontario for the pass and drivers windows to be tineted, but nothing darker then 35%, So I did 35 all around. I love it.
But thats just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
satanshollow said:
Loco, you have any pics you post? Any from inside your car too?
Sorry man, I don't. My car is in storage right now or else I would snap one for ya.
This is what it looks like from the outside with 35% all around on a partly sunny day.
(Mine in the middle KR4)

·
Registered
238 Posts
haha u know what? actually in Ontario its completely illegal to have any tints on front passenger and driver side but i did 35% all around. Most times u wont have a problem even tho its illegal to do front passenger and driver as long as the cop can see your facial features with it. Ask me how i know? hahaha because just after i got my tints i got pulled over by RIDE patrol and i couldnt open my window yet and had to open the door to talk to the cop because u need to keep windows closed for like 3-5 days. Luckily the cop wasnt an asshole so he let it go altho he did mention to me it was illegal to even have any tints up front. 35% is a good tint also what colour interior do u have? if u have a dark interior colour it will look much darker. My friend all have black cars and we lined them up and just from the interior alone mine looked a bit lighter even tho we all got the same shade % of 35% From the same place also.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You are right about the wanting it darker on the rear window than the sides.

The place I had it done at, he reccomended it that way because you're right, the window being larger means it'll let more light in, making it appear lighter.

I have 35% on the rear sides + the small windows and 20% on the rear windshield.

To be honest, you can clearly see out, but at certain light, from the outside you can still clearly see in, but sometimes you can't really see much but body shaped figures, depends on the direct lighting to the window.

If I could do it again, I'd go darker, but am still really happy.

Edit: Yeah I have a black interior too, it helps not reflect light to also make it seem darker inside, plus having a light colored car the contrast also makes it look darker.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
For reference...

My front windows aren't tinted, that's factory tint.

Like I said, it totally depends on the lighting.

If you look closely at my signature, you can see through my passenger rear window, that was a bright sunny day with shade, the other two, pretty cloudy day, but in person, you can still see through, but not clearly.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
IONO_Anything said:
You are right about the wanting it darker on the rear window than the sides.

The place I had it done at, he reccomended it that way because you're right, the window being larger means it'll let more light in, making it appear lighter.

I have 35% on the rear sides + the small windows and 20% on the rear windshield.
i gotta peep it in person.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
another reason the back window always looks lighter than the sides with the same % tint is because the windshield isn't tinted so you see right through. when you look through the side windows the other side is tinted also so it makes it look darker. if i was you i'd go 35% but then again i dont live in BC so i dunno how the cops are about that kinda stuff. my G has 20% all around and its illegal but i have never been bothered, knock on wood.

and also like everyone already mentioned, the dark interior color matters alot. my tints look super blacked out now that i swapped in a T interior. if you wanna see pics of my tints i have a bunch of pics posted here:

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53341

btw, these pics were taken in bright sunlight, with the sun at a lower angle in the afternoon. 20% is pretty dark

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stang, thanks for the post. Your car looks great!

I'm thinking of just going 35% on the back. I do have the black interior so it'll be a bit darker. In BC we can tint any window behind the front doors any tint% you want. I've had a couple of vehicles with 5% and its just too dark for my liking now.

Like I mentioned earlier, the front driv/pass windows are tinted, at 50%. But I haven't been pulled over yet *knocks on wood*. Mind you with the sunroof open it doesn't really look that bad. Mind you with the tint off the rear windows its kinda obvious now and probably looks funny :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got the tint done! Went 35% on the rear. The front windows were done before, I thought they were 50% but look closer to 35% at least from inside.

I took these late in the day, around 5:30pm and I should of used a polarizer on the lens, that would of helped.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
looks like it came out very nice.

satanshollow said:
Stang, thanks for the post. Your car looks great!
thanks alot bro :cheese:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Looks good. Did you get re-painted cause that looks hella clean.

Love my tints, I can't imagine driving a car without them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

No it wasn't repainted. Its original believe it not. We only get a few months of strong sun so paint doesn't fade that fast here.

It looks darker than it is in the pics. I can also see out the back quite easily, even when its dark outside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts