1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
42 Posts
mmmm looks good, by lenses you mean the headlight/taillight enclosures? You could try smoking the lights out, some people on this forum have already done that. Only seen it done to the rear though, not the front.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No smoking it wouldn't work becuase that's on the outside. And plus the color is so faint thats whats cool about lenses. The front lenses is done to. It's just hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
it bet its real hard to do, gotta pry the lenses apart and specialy teh front wont look good on teh p10 because its a glass headlight. also you have to worry about teh stuff you wpuld put on teh lens wouldnt melt from the heat of teh bulbs

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think it's not something you can do on G20 lights, not P10 ones anyways. The headlight cover on the SE-R is designed way differently from the lights on a P10. Doing the tint thing would probably be easier on the headlights of a Lexus or a Q45 or some kinda car where the headlight cover is set just as a clear covering over the actual headlight cluster *not an actual part of the lighting*. I don't know all the technical names for the headlight parts but look at the difference between a P10 G20 headlight and the taillights of a new Altima, for a good example of how they are built differently.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was looking to do a tint on my lenses too but it's so hard to find stuffs around Ottawa!!

·
Registered
20,953 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I don't know all the technical names for the headlight parts but look at the difference between a P10 G20 headlight and the taillights of a new Altima, for a good example of how they are built differently.
Okay, technical terms I'll leave out. But far as to say that the old headlights with the different lines on the front glass arn't very good. The front glass is shaped with those lines to correct the light beam comming off the reflector. With the free form reflectors nowdays, the front lens doesn't have to correct it, that is why it is simply clear.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I was thinking of doing this on my 99. I have an extra headlight that was scatched and I was gonna test it out but it looks hard to seperate the lense. I gave it a quick try and it didn't come off easy. When I have more time I'll try again and let you know

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dont know what the laws are in your country but in the UK it is illegal to tint your headlights, same principle as not being allowed to tint your front windscreen. Even if its not illegal i bet the police will give you a hard time about it.....

if you really want to tint just use the tint spray, several coats will get it as dark as you need, so much easier.

Kev

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ericdd said:
I was thinking of doing this on my 99. I have an extra headlight that was scatched and I was gonna test it out but it looks hard to seperate the lense. I gave it a quick try and it didn't come off easy. When I have more time I'll try again and let you know

You might not want to separate them as the vacuum inside might leak and consequently, you will have moisture and dirt and other unwanted particles in there that will blur the lense.

the tint spray suggested by a few sounds good but I don't know how well will that work.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You go to a dealership of course. As we all know, Infiniti dealerships are all equipped with an underground laboratory with full vacuum rooms where the mechanics have to breathe through scuba equipment and everything.

Honestly, there's no vacuum. I've never heard of any car manufacturer putting a vacuum in any part of the headlight, save for the bulbs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
trbobrk said:

If there is a vaccum, how do you change bulbs without letting air in?
Right.......

Good question. The User Manual mentioned someting about vacuum in the headlight unit.

·
Registered
20,953 Posts
FF Drifter said:
As we all know, Infiniti dealerships are all equipped with an underground laboratory with full vacuum rooms where the mechanics have to breathe through scuba equipment and everything.
That must be why they charge so much for parts.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Headlight assemblies are built really tight to keep out dirt, water and such like that as best they can of course, but it's doubtful the headlights are actually in a VACUUM. Most headlights I've seen have some kind of drainpipe coming out of it to let out condensation; a dead giveaway that they're not in a vacuum.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Headlights that come as one-piece and don't have replaceable bulbs are usually a vacuum-type light. For instance, the "generic" square headlights found on a Camaro. Some of these lights have a vacuum and you have to replace the whole light, not just the bulb. It's the same principle as a regular home light bulb. Halogen lights use an inert gas around the bulb filament. That's what makes them glow so brightly and so white (in comparison to non-halogen). So, it's just a question of WHERE the vacuum is. If the light has a replaceable bulb, the vacuum is in the glass part of the bulb (the part you're not supposed to touch). If it's a replaceable headlamp (entire unit) then the vacuum is in the glass of the headlight itself.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know this is an ancient topic, but I was doing some research, found this, and felt like it needed adressing.

The SE-R has exactly the same headlight assembly and lenses that any other B15 does, with one difference. When one disassembles a B15 headlight (heating the assembly and prying the lense from the housing), it becomes appearant that the reflector is not a part of the housing. The housing on an SE-R is not chromed like other B15 housings are. The reflectors are chromed (just like other B15s), so the beam shape and intensity of ALL B15s is exactly the same. The black plastic finish of the housing, peering out from behind the reflectors, gives a very menacing appearance.

But they're not smoked. I'm sure that a P11 would have very similar asthetic benefits, though, if you shot the housing with some black spray paint or somehow managed to de-chrome it. I have no idea how this information would apply to a P10, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts