Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Tire size

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  JBLoudG20 
#1 ·
I am interested in getting 17" rims for my car. My question is this. What size tires should I get. I keep getting conflicting info on this topic. Some people say that I should put 215/40/17 's on the car. Others say 205/40/17 's and yet others say 215/45/17. At this point I am totally confused. I finally picked out the rims and now I cannot decide on tires. I thought picking out the rims would be the hard part. I don't want the wheels to rub and want to choose the best size possible. Hopefully somebody could shed some light on this subject. I appreciate any and all respones.

#2 ·
TIRES

J20456 MAYBE I CAN HELP I WORK FOR DISCOUNT TIRE AND WE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM A TIME OR TWO IF YOUR CAR IS LOWERED YOU ARE PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO GO WITH THE 205/40/17 OR IF YOU PLAN TO LOWER YOUR CAR IF NOT GO WITH THE 215/45/17 THAT WAY THERE IS NOT THAT MUCH OF A WHEEL GAP.

#5 ·
just another thing on this,

I run on 205's at the moment, I have been told at the garage that I can got to 215's on the same rims.... I see what they mean but is this true or just a myth!!!

cheers
Kev

#6 ·
I am probably going to lower my car at some point. I do not know if it is in the budget for this summer or not beacuse I want to go with coilovers instead of just springs. I was originally going to go with 215/40/17 's until I heard stories of tire rub, but if you guys are not noticing any problems then I will go with 215/40/17. Thanks.

#7 ·
I had 215/45-17 tires on my lowered 99. No problems, no rubbing but too tall. 205/40-17 is too short. Finally 215/40-17 is just about right. IMO that is the best 17" tire to get for the G.

#8 ·
I used to run 205/40/17 and recently switched to 215/45/17. With my wheels it barely fits, there is less than 1/4" of room between the rear strut and the tire. I also had to roll the fender extensively to get the rears to fit. Oh, and myh car is NOT lowered, I'm not sure how well the rear fenders would clear if it was lowered.

Here is a pic:

http://nx2k.dynip.com/thumbs/G20_rear_suspension_after_rust/pages/Misc 011.htm

There is no way 215/45 would fit in my car in back. In front there is actually plenty of room. I may switch to some 225/40 or so drag radials for the front eventually.

Oh, I have TRW Motorsports Typhoons in 17x7 with a 35mm offset. Sure about the inches, and about 70% sure of the offset.

#11 ·
TIRES

i recently put some 17" rims on my p11 and had 215/45/17 tires put on. my car is not lowered and the only problem i had was that when i turned the wheel was rubbing the mud guards. so i took the mud guards off cut off the piece that the wheels were rubbing against and its all good now. :smoke:

#14 ·
Stevo said:
It really comes down to offset. I think a 215/40/17 tire will fit on either P10 or P11 without any fender modification as long as the offset is right. I'm not sure exactly what offset is "right" but I know +40 is not enough.
Offset is important. My old wheel/tire combo was 215/45-17x7" with +42mm offset. Fit perfectly. I sold them to a P10 owner he rolled his fender and they are fine now too. I don't know if was really necessary to roll the fender but he did.

In fact here's a pic of his car with my old wheels.
http://jason.g20.net/images/gta2002/gta-025.jpg

#18 ·
215/25-17 are about 1.6% over the stock wheel size of 195/60-15 and the 215/40-17 are about 1.6% below that of a stock G20t tire. If may be different than a 16" sport tire but factory speedos are never dead nuts accurate anyway. Take my word for it, don't sweat it. ;)

#19 ·
Tire calculator

I made a spreadsheet tire calculator if anyone wants it. E-mail me at huntlarry@hotmail.com and put "tire calculator" in the subject box. All it does is tell you the difference between you stock tire size and your tire size in question. You can acutally make your speedo MORE accurate with a tire size change. Calibrate your speedo by timing your car through hiway mile markers and a stopwatch with your cruise control holding a steady speed. Take 60 divided by your measured TIME and the multiple the result my 60 to obtain MPH. Do this several times to get a good average. Take the error amount (i.e. 3 mph) and divide by the indicated amount and multiple by 100. This is your % error. Use the tire calculator to size a tire of the OPPOSITE % error.
These are just nominal amounts, actual values and tread depth come into play with more exact calculations

#21 ·
Nismoboy1 said:
i've had both 18's and 17's on my ride...the 18's had 215/40 rated tires on it, eibach drop and no problems...the 17's i have currently have 215/45's on it with eibach drop, no prob's...but i've since raised it back up to stock still no problems...so i'd get some 215/45's looks fine with and w/o drop
How much is your drop? The company that I am going through for rims is telling me that they will only guarentee the rims against bending and such if I go with 215/45/17. The only problem is that I am also thinking about getting the TEIN na suspension as well. let me know what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.