Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So this is lame...i am taking my car to the dealer for the 3rd TIME regarding looseness in the steering and front end making rattly almost knock sound when going over even slightly bumpy roads. So far they did upper control arms and alignment twice.... so i cant wait to see how much this is going to be. I think they are owing me though... they did the control arms and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..... 600 bux down the drain.

So... i think i am gonna be needing shocks all around at the very least.... but it will be interesting to see what else it is... PLACE YOUR BETS ON THE PRICE! hahah

i bet 1000.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dealers are always trying to trick you into using more money, bastards. I, myself never had too bad of an experience. My car actually had the problem fixed unlike thousands out there wasting tons of $$$$$ to get their car fixed. So far, the infiniti dealer was the best out of toyota, ford, and of course infiniti. it really does suck for those people out there having the worst experience with dealers but i cant say the same for myself. i consider myself lucky.

my bet is 999 (do i win something if i get it right, just kidding!)

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
Well if you actually need new shocks, KYB GR2's are around $200. Great OEM replacement. Get them and have a local shop put them on for you

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Have you replaced the stabilizer bar bushings and links? That's usually the cause of your symptoms, not that expensive. Can't hurt to replace the struts if everything else checks out. I'd say for your year, prob time to replace ball joints and tie rod ends- has that been done yet? Tires with odd wear patterns can also be a source of probs.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
hope it works out for you! If you take it anywhere I think it's always a good idea to have them call you after they inspect and think they know what they want to do. They should give you an estimate and idea on the cost of parts...much better than going blind and just saying "fix it"

Probably also a good idea to avoid the stealership unless necessary. There are mechs out there that do quality work and are trustworthy you just have to find them.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
its a bad idea to take your car to the dealership. infiniti of tucson charges $80 just to look at your shit and say yeah, thats the problem.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
AzG20P11 said:
its a bad idea to take your car to the dealership. infiniti of tucson charges $80 just to look at your shit and say yeah, thats the problem.
That sucks, my dealer will only charge a diagnostic fee if you don't know what's wrong. Thanks to this site I can usually go in there and say "I need a new (insert name of malfunctioning part here)" and they'll just install it.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
MrFancypants said:
Normally if a dealer misdiagnoses a problem, you pay for the parts but get the labor for free. At least, thats what I made them do ;)

- Greg -
infiniti of tucson? they are good at misdiagnosis. i learned that the first time i went there, which was the last.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
they are an ok dealership, dont get me wrong. im sure they do good work. if you ever have to take your g35 in make sure the guy you deal with on the drive isnt Kyle. problem solved.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ITS IN!

so..... are you ready for this???

Needs new steering rack, ball joints and idle air control valve.

total over 3000.... The steering rack alone is 2200.

wow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
wardpr68 said:
ITS IN!

so..... are you ready for this???

Needs new steering rack, ball joints and idle air control valve.

total over 3000.... The steering rack alone is 2200.

wow.

I'm speechless. That is completely laughable.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Your dealer is grossly overcharging you, even if those are Canadian dollars. I would go to an independent shop that maybe someone can recommend to you. Have them replace the ball joints. I believe if you do a search, you will find some instructions on cleaning the idle air control valve yourself.
I would hold off on the rack replacement. See if the ball joint replacement solves your problem.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The work you're asking a dealer to do can be done much cheaper (and possibly with greater expertise) from a local mechanic/independent garage. Here's my rant from another post:

"Auto dealerships cater to new car buyers and are geared to maintaining cars under warranty. You get beyond that (like cars more than a few years old), and they are typically no more knowledgeable than any decent mechanic/shop. The one thing they have is factory parts, which for us means calling Justin at everythingg20.com.

My utility/tow vehicle is a 97 Aerostar AWD. When I take it to the Ford dealership, they typically don't know shit about it. If you're lucky, you might find some older mechanic at the dealership that actually is familiar with the car. Think of it like a computer- if you've got an older computer, good luck finding someone to work on it. And guaranteed no-one will remember how to deal with the software.

I work with a woman who bought a brand new 2006 Vette for like $70k. Car does 200 mph out of the box. But it is a Chevy, and a real exotic one at that. So, she has been jerked around by the dealerships like you wouldn't believe. They try and represent themselves as experts when they don't know shit and have succeeded in totally screwing the car up. She took it one place, picked it up a week later, and it had an extra 400 miles on the odo (like in Ferris Beuhler)! There are major probs with all the bells and whistles, wiring harness, etc. There is a suspension prob that burns out those incredibly expensive nitrogen-filled tires in no-time, and she is getting no help from the factory. She will have no problem qualifying under the lemon law in our state.

Bottom line, don't expect a dealership to know any more or less than any other shop about older cars. Figure out what they are good at, what you can get done cheaper somewhere else, and do as much of the work as you can on your own. Dealerships have a place for us, just know what it is. It is nice to think that there is a perfect place where the elves magically know all about our G's, drop it off in the morning, pick it up at nite and the problem has been disappeared, and sometimes that actually happens. Just don't think it will happen every time."

1 - 20 of 59 Posts