Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best breakfluid, antifreeze, and oil to Top off the SR20 with?

Oh and come spring time I plan to do a tune up....any suggestions on what "good" spark plugs to get?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Best spark plugs are NGK

Edit: How many miles does your engine have what kind of oil has it used all the time? Before u do what the dude on top of me said to change to mobil 1 synthetic. Because if u just switch to Synthetic without nowing the background it will cost u a new engine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
UncleShasta said:
Mobil 1 full synthetic for oil.
Dude i just read your signature and u do need to pay for water in your bills and women are expensive u need to take them out to eat and if u get a kid then they are extremely expensive lol.........

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
List on your tune up:

PCV valve
Fuel Filter
Clean your Injectors they will love u if u do that
Castrol GTX high mileage oil
K&N or Fram Oil filter
K&N air filter
NGK spark plugs the copper ones are good
NGK Spark plug wires
Distrubitor Cap
Distrubitor Rotor
Transmission oil change if u haven't done it

I think thats all

·
Registered
546 Posts
i switched to Mobil 1 at 130,000miles. car had used regular oils since then. been on Mobil 1 for 20k now, no problems at all, engine runs incredibly smooth, especially at the top end.

·
Banned
59 Posts
lowproki said:
Best spark plugs are NGK

Edit: How many miles does your engine have what kind of oil has it used all the time? Before u do what the dude on top of me said to change to mobil 1 synthetic. Because if u just switch to Synthetic without nowing the background it will cost u a new engine.
thats completely false.

from my experience, ngk plugs ARE very good, but denso's top the charts.

also, the ONLY time you want to run a castor based or blended oil is during break in, when the rings need special attention to make love with cross hatches. castor based oils just seat parts better.

if the car has over 5k miles, run a full synthetic. mobil1 gets a thumbs up from me, along with royal purple which ive also ran in many engines.

·
Banned
59 Posts
lowproki said:
List on your tune up:

PCV valve
Fuel Filter
Clean your Injectors they will love u if u do that
Castrol GTX high mileage oil
K&N or Fram Oil filter
K&N air filter
NGK spark plugs the copper ones are good
NGK Spark plug wires
Distrubitor Cap
Distrubitor Rotor
Transmission oil change if u haven't done it

I think thats all
instead of cleaning injections manually, try running a small bottle of lucas oil "injector cleaner."

castrol gtx is junk imo.

fram oil filters are notorious for being junk.

a set of duralast plug wires are good enough for a daily driver, low hp motor that doesnt need excessive current flow for spark.

·
Registered
91 Posts
spoold. said:
castrol gtx is junk imo.

Why is Castrol GTX junk in your opinion? I have had nothing but good thigns to say about it in the cars I have run it in. It is also quite the favorite over at bobisthoilguy.com. Granted some of thsoe guys are a bit hardcore in the obsession with motor oil but the Oil Analysis of GTX usually comes back pretty well (except when someones engine doesn't have a coolant leak or they run the oil for like 10-20K miles!)

Not trying to start a flame war, just curious.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Hadrien said:
Why is Castrol GTX junk in your opinion? I have had nothing but good thigns to say about it in the cars I have run it in. It is also quite the favorite over at bobisthoilguy.com. Granted some of thsoe guys are a bit hardcore in the obsession with motor oil but the Oil Analysis of GTX usually comes back pretty well (except when someones engine doesn't have a coolant leak or they run the oil for like 10-20K miles!)

Not trying to start a flame war, just curious.
because the additive packages in mobil are superior to castrol. thats why its costs more and thats why i run it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spoold. said:
thats completely false.

from my experience, ngk plugs ARE very good, but denso's top the charts.

also, the ONLY time you want to run a castor based or blended oil is during break in, when the rings need special attention to make love with cross hatches. castor based oils just seat parts better.

if the car has over 5k miles, run a full synthetic. mobil1 gets a thumbs up from me, along with royal purple which ive also ran in many engines.

I noticed that the NGK Iridium IX's that i have were never gapped, therefore something wasn't sparking right, I might get them adjusted. On the other hand I have Bosch Platinum +4 plugs that i used for about a week; these run smooth, and improve acceleration drastically. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
TurboTwenty said:
I noticed that the NGK Iridium IX's that i have were never gapped, therefore something wasn't sparking right, I might get them adjusted. On the other hand I have Bosch Platinum +4 plugs that i used for about a week; these run smooth, and improve acceleration drastically. What do you think?
What do i think? I think you're supposed to check and adjust the gap on all plugs before you install them, no matter who makes them. Also, i think bosch is a terrible choice in plugs as i've never experianced anything but bad results from them in a Nissan or a Honda. I hear they do well in domestics though. Anyways, those are just my opinions and if it works for you, more power to you.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
TurboTwenty said:
U now that NGK iridium plugs are for full race cars so if u used them on a stock car with just bolt-ons trust me u ain't going to have to change them for a long while

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
spoold. said:
instead of cleaning injections manually, try running a small bottle of lucas oil "injector cleaner."

castrol gtx is junk imo.

fram oil filters are notorious for being junk.

a set of duralast plug wires are good enough for a daily driver, low hp motor that doesnt need excessive current flow for spark.
Well in your opinion castrol is junk but i think it's great i used to own a sentra xe 1991 and thats the oil i used everytime, and the car lasted me 420,000 miles and the engine was still good with perfect compression but i took it to the junkyard becuse it got hit real bad

·
Banned
59 Posts
lowproki said:
Well in your opinion castrol is junk but i think it's great i used to own a sentra xe 1991 and thats the oil i used everytime, and the car lasted me 420,000 miles and the engine was still good with perfect compression but i took it to the junkyard becuse it got hit real bad
you can think what you want but, the additive packages in mobil 1 are superior to castrol gtx.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lowproki said:
U now that NGK iridium plugs are for full race cars so if u used them on a stock car with just bolt-ons trust me u ain't going to have to change them for a long while

Should I just go to infinitipartsusa.com and get NGK platinums, for the G20? Kep in mind, I have a replaced SR20DE from a 1998 200sx, with around 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, i'll go to a mechanic later today and have them properly Gap my current Iridiums to 0.044 cus i sure as hell don't know what that means and how to go about it. then i'll look into replacing other tune up parts with higher quality ones come spring time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts