Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching and reading for a little over an hour now and everyone who has had a torn boot has said they have had clicking noises when they turned hard. Both of my front boots are torn and I can't get the car to pass inspection (was suppose to be renewed in August :baffled: ). I dont hear anything or feel anything unusual so I was wondering if it was necessary to replace the whole axle or could i just clean out whatever may have gotten in there and replace the boots?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Get a quick boot.. If they just tore there might not be damage to the axle yet.. and you can replace the boot.. witha standard boot you have to remove the axle to replace it.. a quick boot can be installed from underneith (I believe) without taking anything lose.. might buy you some time..

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Won't the testing station tell you which bits its failed on ?

Here in the uk they do :) .......... The way it works is ...... The rubbers fail then teh grease drops out then the joints fail due to no grease & start clunkin...... Change the rubbers & count ya self lucky ;)

I guess giving things a clean & a re grease wouldn't do no harm either :naughty:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
they don't do a full inspection like they do in the UK.. they just usually inspect the engine to make sure everything is hooked up right and isn't modified. Make sure there isn't any exhaust leaks, check all windows and door for functionality, and in our state they usually check the gas cap on a machine to make sure it seals correctly.. some states you have to go through a smog check where they stick a probe in the tailpipe to check for certain chemicals.. if it reads too high.. they fail you till you get it fixed.. and then there are other states that run your car on a dyno to check emmissions throughout the band... Some states you just give them the money, they look at your car, and they slap on a sticker.. LOL :D

I can't believe they failed you for a torn CV boot.. they wouldn't even think of going that detailed down her.. thank god.. :shhh:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
They fail ya for having no water in the screen washer here :zoinks: (I kid you not)

Still ..... at least you have a general idea of yer cars status afer one of our checks....... The sticker here is optional ..... Mines in a drawer somwhere :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the third time it's been rejected for the torn boots. I took it to a local Exxon, Sears, and Monroe. Taking it tomorrow to some old guys garage who supposedly gives stickers for money :D . But I also have a trip planned and don't want this to cause a problem on the interstate. So a "quick boot" is the suggestion? Is that similar to a CV boot kit?

Thanks again

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Why not just change the boots ? .............. That way the Joints may not fail on you....... Thus not making you crash & die ?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I'd have a fone around a few motor stores ............ I know my local dealer holds them on stock ...... But as per usual with dealers ..... The prices are spooky :(

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
www.raxles.com carries polyurethane boots for our axles, they run about $15 each and will out live you and your car ;). Granted you still have to pull the axle from the hub, and at that point might as well replace the whole axle, its just a little more work.

If you dont replace the axle, i HIGHLY recomend the boots from Raxles...give them a call and order some.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
if the axel are good just replace the boots. i have never had to do my boots yet. I spray silcone in them every oil change to prevent dry rot. in my case i will snap my axel before the boot breaks.
I can see the point that it will be a pita for those of you who do not have a lift.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will go ahead and do the whole axle replacement as was suggested from the Exxon and such. Mom will be paying for it anyway :D. Thanks again everyone.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
the people doing the work would sudjest that cause most do not like to spend more time and get all greasy.
I am used to it. when we have warrenty axel failure we are sent all parts and have to build the axel.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
since you have had torn boots for some time you really need to replace the whole axle. dirt and debris have most likely gotten in there and probably messed up the cv joints. also taking apart the axles to install new boots takes much more time and effort than just buying new ones. raxles cost more than napa or whatever but they dont use the cores and rebuild them. raxles are compleatly new and thats a plus. they are just better in every way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used a quick boot and everything has been good for awhile now and it took me less than an hour to put them on. I used quick boots becuase my orginal boots has a small tear and I caught it before any debris got in the axle.

OHHH....It only cost me 10 bucks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a quick boot and everything has been good for awhile now and it took me less than an hour to put them on. I used quick boots becuase my orginal boots has a small tear and I caught it before any debris got in the axle.

OHHH....It only cost me 10 bucks
I know this is a very old post, but I'm in the need of a quick boot and I'm not sure how to get it. When I check in the auto part store website none of the split ones seem to be available for my 99 g20. Any thoughts? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts