Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this Borla I picked up from NismoPC does not have quite the sound I am looking for. I am looking for an EVEN up trade for a new or near new OEM muffler (Nissan/Infiniti only - no Midas crap). I'll even include the 3" APC stainless steel tip - I'll be sorry to see it go, it's the best part of this setup. Matches the nature of the G20 PURRFectly.
As to how it sounds: When I am driving by myself and the stereo is above conversation level, this muffler sounds fine. If I were a 20 something single guy, I would LOVE the throaty sound it makes. BUT, I often use my Gee for it's other personality, the family 4 door. When driving my wife and kids around, it drones just a little too much, usually under load at low to mid rpms. At high highway speeds, it quiets down a bit.
That about sums it up; great looking, turns heads, sounds great to the single guys, drones a little for the family sedan. Very low miles - ALL STAINLESS, will last the life of the car. Even up trade for your AS NEW stock muffler and pipe. Sorry, I will need your setup first, then I will swap and ship Borla/APC setup NEXT DAY.
E-mail if you have any questions. I am in the Richmond/D.C. area. *** CLICK the WWW button below to see a picture. It is a high-res picture, so it will take awhile to load.***

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P11 won't fit P10

Mine's a P10, I don't believe the P11 system will fit.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hey

il trade you if you want im in richmond va so it wouldnt be much of a hassle mine is not new but it is good

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is "not new"

How old is it, do you know? Is it OEM Nissan? Can you send a digital picture of it? If it is solid but old, I may consider a partial trade. My boss lives in Richmond, it may be possible for you to drop off your muffler at his house, he delivers it to me, I install and return the Borla/APC to you via his house next day. Another option: You drive up here and we swap them in my garage. I have all the tools, jack stands, etc. needed. I am only about 50-60 minutes from the center of Richmond (King George via Route 301).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
95Gee20Tee said:
Well, this Borla I picked up from NismoPC
:)

Unbelievable what a family does to you, huh? I loved the sound of the Borla. The reason I initially got it was because I had one on my old '91 NX2000 and loved the sound it generated. But getting old, married, having children and becoming part of the 30 something crowd somehow changes you. So I got rid of it.:*(

I will tell you, it looks great on the G20. And the sound is distinct. Should be since it's a Borla. Nice and deep!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unbiased second opinion

There you go, an unbiased 2nd opinion from NismoPC.
Still waiting for a swap. If one of you can locate an OEM muffler at a wholesale price $80 -100, then we can swap even up. As a comparison, this Borla sells for about $90, APC stainless 3" tip about $30, 2 1/2" bent stainless tubing another $20 or so plus some labor, shipping, sales tax equals a new value of about $200, used value $140-170. Looks like a good deal for someone... I'll also take an offer and buy my own but a swap would be simplier.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I'm going to keep it...

I came across a note on a Flowmaster muffler that mentioned the size of the tip having alot to do with the sound of the muffler. A large tip would produce a throaty sound and a smaller tip would have a quieter tone. With this in mind, I installed a 2" straight pipe all the way into the muffler and just about flush with the APC 3" tip. Well, guess what, it works. The sound only seemed slightly quieter at the muffler but inside the car the REAL LOW frequency drone was greatly reduced. You can still HEAR it but don't FEEL the throaty sound near as much. Just about perfect now. Next step is to mark it and cut it at the same angle as the tip and give it that resonator tip look - maybe paint it with some high heat yellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts