Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1993.5 G20 with a manual transmission.

I would like some ideas on what my problem is and if it is fixable. Until now I have had zero transmission problems with the car - no gear pop-out or anything.

When I was going lunch as I put the car in first gear and started to pull out the parking lot, I heard a POP from the front of the car. After the POP the car does not move. When I engage the clutch I hear a slight grinding noise.

I've tried every gear, and none of them work. The grinding only happens when the clutch is engaged, even when the car is in neutral. The grinding goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. The car is currently getting towed to the shop.

Any ideas? I'm worried that it's the transmission itself, but I'm hopeful that it's something replaceable (and that the shop doesn't try to rip me off).

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yahnozha said:
sounds like your clutch failed.
That's what I hope. It's just strange that it happened all of a sudden, and with a loud pop. Usually the clutch slips first - that's why I think it's not wear on the clutch face that caused this, but some other failure in the clutch engagement mechanism.

The car has 131,xxx miles and I have no idea if and when the clutch was last replaced.

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I had a clutch go like that on an old Vauxhall Chevette. The centre of the clutch plate just sheared off, it must have been the massive torque of the 1256cc engine :lick:

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Brian,

I saw something kind of like this once. While visiting a friend in the LA area, we all went out to eat in two cars.. and all of a sudden my buddy pulled off the freeway. This clutch was gone.. wouldn't do anything (Well it would move a little bit).. We nursed the car home and pulled the tranny. as it turns out.. the material on one of the sides of the disc just came apart from the disc. Only the rivet ends were touching the PP.

I would say that Mark's comments sounds closer though. If the hub failed.. what you're describing is exactly what could happen.

Also keep in mind that disc's can get stress fractures in them (I know this from a *LITTLE* bit of personal experience). Over time, these cracks can get bigger.. and then at some point the hub can just brake..

Good luck, and let us know what it was..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the worst part.

The shop called me and told me my front right CV axle needed replacement!! They said it was locked up.

I thought about it, discussed their diagnosis with a buddy, and decided they have to be wrong. The car is grinding when the clutch is engaged, even in neutral - the CV joint shouldn't even be a factor. Also, I was able to push the car to a parking lot, and turn the wheel - how could I do this if the CV axle was locked up!

I called the shop back and explained to them the other symptoms (grinding while clutch is engaged). They said if the CV axle replacement doesn't fix it then I don't will not have to pay for it.

I guess I will wait and see what they say tomorrow once the CV axle replacement doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Well if it was seized you wouldn't be able to push it. Plus, if the clutch was fine and you weren't moving, the engine would stall...

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
^^ But even if an axle popped out.. wouldn't the other one still pull the car along?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
It can't really pop out can it, there isn't room.

I also had the same symptoms in my Primera, but my driveshaft snapped.

No it wouldn't move Kyle, well it might with a PG LSD in there, but not with an open diff or a VLSD.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
non lsd, so the torque goes straight to the axle that slips... would mess up more than just the axle if that was the case.

·
Registered
194 Posts
G20-Budo said:
^^ But even if an axle popped out.. wouldn't the other one still pull the car along?
Unfortunately, no.

I have a VLSD SE-R parts car that was abandoned to a junkyard because the driver's side axle shaft disconnected from the inner CV joint. Probably a crappy rebuild. Once it gave way, the car wouldn't move an inch under its own power.

If the axle shaft isn't sheared in two, box up the busted parts and send them to Raxles for a rebuild. I sent the messed up SE-R axle as a core on a G20t VLSD axle for my G20 RS5F32V swap. :cool:

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
markbuts3 said:
It can't really pop out can it, there isn't room.

I also had the same symptoms in my Primera, but my driveshaft snapped.

No it wouldn't move Kyle, well it might with a PG LSD in there, but not with an open diff or a VLSD.

Don't know about you but I was talking about the inner splined end. Had one come out on another kind of car, I don't know if the G's can do that. But, if he didn't have a major fluid loss it probably didn't happen anyway...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed!

The problem was the right front axle as the shop originally thought. It was not however, "locked up," which is what they first told me.

The outer CV joint had seperated from the rest of the axle. The right wheel was free to turn because there was nothing connecting it to the halfshaft. Unfortunately they didn't have the old axle anymore to show me.

I still don't understand why I heard grinding while in neutral. I can only assume that the vibration from the engine was causing the broken bits to grind against each other - because when in neutral the halfshaft shouldn't be rotating...right?

I thought it was the clutch, as others suggested, but I guess that's why I'm not a professional mechanic.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
The shaft will still turn, mine did when it was snapped clean into two pieces.

If you'd have looked and seen the shaft turning, then we'd have been able to track it down to an outer CV joint as that is the only possible fault if the shaft isn't snapped.

The seized diagnosis was clearly wrong though...

Nice cheap fix then compared to removing the tranny and investigating the clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts