Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
P11GT said:
If you havent seen this, then its worth bookmarking for all those jap site you wish you could understand.

Please refrain from using the term 'Jap'. That is considered derogatory.

Thanks!

Alternative phrase: JDM, Japanese, Aisian, etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yeah....bablefish is the bomb!!!! I translate all my cussing and bad talk when I chat online....they don't know what the hell I'm saying and they think I actually learned these words....hahaha its dope...I also used it for japanese sites and it works...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I couldn't believe how well it actually worked when I first tried it. Doesn't work too well if a site is full of images though, since it can't translate those.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use this a lot. It doesn't do Japanese but it does a few other lanquages. It helps when you want exchange email with somebody that doesn't speak english. Spanish, German, Portugese, Italian, French and Norwegian.

www.freetranslation.com

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: Re: Translator, handy for those Jap sites

NismoPC said:

Thanks!

that term has been used in the UK for as long as I can remember...noones ever considered that as derogatory here..and as far as I know no one has ever taken offence from it here.....

just shows different countries have different levels of what they consider derogatory....

this same thing was mentioned on AF a while ago as well.....

anyway Peace! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
re: derogatory term use

Just wanted to say, I have crossed the pond from London, UK to Toronto, North America - and in BOTH locations, the use of "Jap" to reference Japanese IS considered derogatory and should NOT be used - the same way it is to use the word "Paki" as an abbreviation for Pakistani.

As for the translation facility, I too use Freetranslation.com, it seems to work most of the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cosmic you are wrong chief, it aint derogatory. Like calling me a Scot since im from Scotland....or calling someone from England a English [email protected] ;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah it really depends on where you are I think. Here in Cali, "Jap" would definitely be derogatory, especially because of animosity toward ethnic japanese just ~sixty or so~ years ago. But I think as time goes on, "jap" will become a word that loses some of it's negative connotations and will just be used as an abbreviated form of "japanese." I mean, my girl's japanese and she calls herself "jap" all the time.

·
Registered
859 Posts
dunno when you were last here but tis definatly not derogatory here.....because unlike Paki (Pakistan) which has been used in a derogatory context ....Jap has always been used to abbreviate Japan or Japanese ...never aimed at people....you just have to look at most of the Tuning mags here and even in there any parts or anything to do Japanese cars will be under titles "Jap Import" or "Jap Tuning" etc......

Classic example peeps form Scotland (Scots) from Australia (Aussies) ....just abbreviations of the name of the country...never used in a derogartory fashion....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One point i dont think anyone has mention is, we all in effect, drive a japanese car, so the last thing any of us is gonna do is to offend the japanese, am i right?

looking at it that way, you would understand that the way i initially used the term Jap would have not been in the derogatory manner.

·
Registered
586 Posts
NismoPC said:

Thanks!

I would think it would be considered derogatory if he was calling a person a Jap, but then again, since Kev is of Asian descent, maybe he can get away with it :-\

FF Drifter said:
Yeah it really depends on where you are I think. Here in Cali, "Jap" would definitely be derogatory, especially because of animosity toward ethnic japanese just ~sixty or so~ years ago. But I think as time goes on, "jap" will become a word that loses some of it's negative connotations and will just be used as an abbreviated form of "japanese." I mean, my girl's japanese and she calls herself "jap" all the time.
Yeah I know what you mean, when I was living in Cali I always referred to my ethnicity as to being a "Flip"

·
Registered
201 Posts
littlerudegirl said:

I would think it would be considered derogatory if he was calling a person a Jap, but then again, since Kev is of Asian descent, maybe he can get away with it :-\
didn't want to get into this, but here goes. that rule goes w/ all races/ethnicities. like black people being able to call each other ****** but white people not being able to call them that. it also goes for other races/ethnicities, but that one is the best example.

NOTE: do not yell at me for using the n-word. it was merely in the context of this conversation, and wasn't meant to be derogatory or demeaning to anyone.

i don't think Jap is derogatory. people these days take offense to everything. he obviously didn't mean it in a bad way.

anyway, babelfish is a great translator. i used to use it all the time when i was taking italian. no translator is perfect, but they all get the main point across.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
littlerudegirl said:

Yeah I know what you mean, when I was living in Cali I always referred to my ethnicity as to being a "Flip"
YUP. And I never take offense from it either.

:p

But notice how other terms; like "chink" are a LOT more derogatory? What's up with people these days...

·
Registered
201 Posts
littlerudegirl said:
i've never heard someone being called a flip. what is it? asian?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
"flip" = filipino, ethnicity of a person from the island country of the Philippines, former Spanish colony, former U.S. colony, just south of Taiwan. :rambo:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts