Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you all know it's been brutally cold here in Midwest for the past few weeks.
I do have a garage, but since it's full of junk, my G had to spend these few weeks outside. Every moning my G would start like a champ, but then it would take 3-4 minutes of driving in 2nd ( appr.3500 RPM ) before it shifts further.
How does a low temperature affect shifting?
Is there some kind of temp. sensor associated with transmission? Is it some kind of safety feature ?
I don't have this problem with my wife's Accord.
Or is it just my G?

·
Registered
180 Posts
well i dunno about your car but i put some heavy gear oil in my gearbox and usually it would take a few minutes for gear oil to heat up to normal operating temp to drive reg or else it feels really really stiff

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
I'm also from chicago dud :)
I have a similar problem but i can shift in any gear. just went is really cold like this few days is feels like my gear box is frozen and is a bit hard to shift into any gear. but once the car is warm is all gone. i guess is the fluid. also when is really really cold "-20+ degress" i start the car and if i let go of the clutch the car shuts down. so i have to let the clutch in for a min or so. or just rev the car a bit...

·
Registered
212 Posts
because automatic tans. fluid "shrinks" when it get cold, your valve bodies have a hard time shifting the denser fluid through the system when its cold. give the car an extra 10 minutes or so to get to "operating temperature" and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Cesardrgn said:
I'm also from chicago dud :)
I have a similar problem but i can shift in any gear. just went is really cold like this few days is feels like my gear box is frozen and is a bit hard to shift into any gear. but once the car is warm is all gone. i guess is the fluid. also when is really really cold "-20+ degress" i start the car and if i let go of the clutch the car shuts down. so i have to let the clutch in for a min or so. or just rev the car a bit...

I've had that exact same thing happened, except is not as drastic. When I turn on the car I have to rev a little, but when I let go off the clutch, the RPM's drop and then it idles like at 1600, and then it slooowly gets down to about 900.

And shifting gears for the first few blocks is pretty difficult... as if the gears were glazed or something, it moves just slooowly.

So anyway, it's not just you, it's this evil cold that's making our G's unhappy.

Demon

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for your replies, guys!
I need to point out one thing tougth-my G is automatic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
mpek02 said:
Well as you all know it's been brutally cold here in Midwest for the past few weeks.
I do have a garage, but since it's full of junk, my G had to spend these few weeks outside. Every moning my G would start like a champ, but then it would take 3-4 minutes of driving in 2nd ( appr.3500 RPM ) before it shifts further.
How does a low temperature affect shifting?
Is there some kind of temp. sensor associated with transmission? Is it some kind of safety feature ?
I don't have this problem with my wife's Accord.
Or is it just my G?
Mine started doing that in Vegas When it got really cold and would take apox 3-4 min b4 it would catch gears correctly except mine would hit 2kRPM and I'ld have to pump the gas a month of doing this the tranny went and now since I replaced it works like a champ. When was the last time you had a transmission flush or worked on it?

My G is a Automatic

·
Registered
462 Posts
lol this is not a problem! It is designed to prevent Tranny damage and engine damage. It is really controlled by a sensor that detects how warm is your coolant. So if you let the car warm up first before hitting the road it would be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts