Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to do a search about a problem I'm having but can't seem to find any helpful information.

My car starts up, reverses fine, starts driving fine but once it starts picking up speed it seems like the transmission slips and gives no more power. It then only drives very very slow, maybe only a few mph.

I thought I would need a whole new tranny but some people are telling me it might just be sensors or something minor. Does anyone know what this could be or have advice what to do? I wanted to check here first before I pay to have it towed somewhere and then not have enought money to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
First run a obd II test to see if you see any codes. This could be done for free at local autozone stores or you can even buy one cheaper than taking the car to shops...If there is no code then tourque converter is going out which means you need to rebuild the tranny. Have you done a flush lately? If so add conditioner and anti slip that might fix it for now.
As far as where to go for rebuilt, avoid those shops that they say it could 200 or 3000 dollars. In those shops it is always 3000! Take it to a shaggy looking place where all other mechanics take the tranny of and send it in for repair. They almost never have big sign or a waiting area for a customer!
They would do the job for about 50% of a reasonable shop, meaning you pay less than 900 for it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah start out small. what hapend with mine is my kick down cable came loose and it wouldnt shift properly and bogged down realy slow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I haven't done a transmission flush lately. Should I get that done first? I did take it to auto zone a while back when my alternator was going out and they did mention that only tranmssion codes came up on the diagnostic testing. I kind of forgot about it because it reset the check engine light and I was focused on getting the alternator fixed once we found out that was the problem at that time. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dont do a hydrolic powered flush, you'll screw it up more. for now do a basic drain and fill.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
pmaadani said:
If there is no code then tourque converter is going out which means you need to rebuild the tranny.
eh? if it is the torque converter then you could simply swap the torque converter. sounds like the tranny is just toast tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
so did you figure out what was wrong? Mine is doing the same thing.I can get up to about 45 at 5000 rpms.It`s like it won`t shift out of 2nd or 3rd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts