Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a while back I decided I needed a trailer for my race car. Not to tow my race car, but for my race car to tow. Why? Well I think I'd like to have a place to carry extra stuff for meets and track days like wheels and tools and ice chest with drinks and food; and most notably a BBQ to cook meat.

Then one day I was following a truck that had a trailer that was made from a truck bed. It is a pretty common thing to see, but it gave me an idea. If people can just cut a truck in half, weld on a hitch coupler and use that as a trailer, why can't you do the same thing with a car? I not only should have a trailer for my BBQ, it should be a P10 trailer made from a P10 to tow with my P10. Even this idea isn't 100% original, although I probably am the first one with a G20 to do it. Searches on the internets found plenty of examples of BBQ made from cars, trailers made from cars towed by the same car, even a old civic wagovan that became basically an RV complete with a bed and a kitchen with bbq and utensil holders and everything.

So I've been drawing out what this thing might look like for a few years now, and I've settled on a design.

Basically it will be 2 trunks put together. P10 already has a large trunk that can fit a lot of stuff, so the trailer will be 2x as big. The floor will be flat inside, and will retain the rear wheel well for a spare. I didn't like a lot of the designs I saw that tried to incorporate the rear sloping glass, so I'm just going to chop it off the c pillar completely. The rear deck, which will also now be twice as big, will now be outside. I'm going to make a cover for it in carbon, and glue it on with the black sticky stuff that seals the tail lamps so the new double trunk is still water tight. Speaking of tail lamps, the trailer will have the standard P10 taillamps with brake, turn, running, reverse, so I'll need to wire in a 7 pin RV style plug so the trailer lamps will match the car's lamps. I can't really envision a good way of deleting the front lamps, so I think I'll just replace them with carbon fiber as well. The fuel tank will remain, so I can carry 16gals of extra fuel. Haven't completely decided how I'm going to pump it out, but the car will have a fuel door on either side since that is behind the centerline of the wheel arch, so maybe fuel in driver side, and a hose with a nozzle that could reel out of the other fuel door. I have a lot of other crazy ideas on how to mount the BBQ, but for now, I'll just going to try to get the thing rolling without all the extras. Then I'll put all the JDM stuff on it so it matches my p10. Then once all that is done, I'll add more crazy things.

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So first part of building the trailer is to acquire the back half of a P10, and cheap. But it must be straight and dent free, which is hard to come by these days. I've been looking for p10s with rod knocks since I don't need the engine, front end collisions since that isn't getting scrapped as well, or cars that people have otherwise let go to ruins for sale in the $300ish range. There have been a few out there, but I haven't had much luck with flaky CL sellers. Then Loren posted he wanted to get rid of a shell that has been rotting in his yard for the last few years.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?122777-Anyone-care-for-a-creamy-p10-shell-in-western-Or

Only $100, perfect! Except it is 300 miles away, and doesn't roll, and it is CH0; the worst color ever made. Well I can paint over it, and as long as Loren can deliver I'm set. So add a few hundred for diesel and that solves the not rolling bit. But I don't really need the whole car. So add more money on top of that and he'll cut it wherever I want and dispose of the rest. Best deal ever.

So Loren cut it in half this week...

...and brought it up today.

Yay! I now have 1.5 P10s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2. Cleaning. Lots of cleaning.

Cut out the remainder of the rear window. Tempered glass everywhere. Not fun.

Cleaned out the trunk. I think something had been living in there as there was a crazy mount of dirt and insulation all compacted together. Also there was a blackberry bush growing back where the antenna was, lol.

Removed wiring so I can go through it and remove the extra stuffs, removed seatbelts, and other misc brackets. Slapped on teh11's wheels just for fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3. Removing more parts and wash.

Started removing more parts. I've decided to ditch the swaybar. Don't need an exhaust. Disconnected the remnants of the hard fuel lines. Also removed the heat shields since they were rusty and also one of the ebrake cables.

Inside I finished removing the wiring harness. Almost removed the fuel door popper, but I left it in. For the last week or so I been thinking of converting to cable, but now I'm undecided, so I'll just leave it in for now.

Installed the missing taillamp

Sprayed it down with a hose and scrubbed it with a towel. I forgot my car soap at home.

Day 4, 5, 6, 7 maybe more.

So I haven't been making regular updates because I haven't done much. Here are some things that have happened.

• I bought a 2.5" receiver tube that will accept the removable tongue. It is for like a class 5 hitch that uses oversize hitches. I just want it because I can get 2.5" square tubing that will slide right in.
  • I removed the brakes and some of the brake lines.
  • I removed the 4 lug hubs, purchased 5 lug hubs, threw away 4 lug hubs, decided to go back to 4 lug but can't now, so now I'm back to doing a 5 lug swap...
  • ...except maybe not. I'm still looking into how the rear knuckle and drum brakes might work on my p10. Maybe some combo of Sentra and Maxima pieces will do what I want. Not sure. I want 5 lug.
  • Found some 5 lug wheels I want, haven't bought them yet.
  • Bought 20 more lug nuts because 20 was cheaper than buying two sets of 5.
  • Bought a latch so the trunk lid closes. Still need to figure out the key situation.
So all this not doing much ate up the rest of the time I had in my summer housing. Needed to move it home, so I built a trailer for my trailer. Took an old boat trailer and about $40 in lumber and made a 5x6' flatbed.

Then about 6 months later...nothing has happened.

But in the mean time I have purchased two rear Primera Te bumpers with supports.

So I was thinking I need another p10 half. The creamy shell was missing most of the suspension, and the remaining part is sort of rusty so really I'll just use it as the body panels for the front half of the trailer since they are straight and rust free. I looked around for wrecked p10s with good rear ends, even a few cheap running and driving p10s but didn't see anything I liked.

Then I found a really nice 96 KL0t at the insurance auto auction. It had 152k miles, KL0, touring with super nice interior, but auto and smashed fender and driver door. Seemed to me it wouldn't be too hard to turn that into a car that I could drive around while the racecar gets a motor swap and a few other bits. Then when I'm done with it I could cut in half for the trailer, as well as having a really nice touring interior on hand for another p10 in the future. Is it too nice to cut in half? No. It is an auto; it must be destroyed. But what is it worth as a car since I have to bid against others? I figured $1500 would be about as high as I would go, all in. In my mind $500 for the shell, $500 for the interior, $500 for the connivance of having a spare car for a few months/maybe a year?

Well they got the car in February, but weeks and weeks went by and it wasn't listed for sale. Meanwhile I looked into what it takes to buy a car at auction. The answer is fees. Lots and lots of fees. In Washington, most cars that go through the place can be purchased by public individuals, if you are a member. So I signed up for that. $200. plus another 3% cause I put in on a credit card since I don't carry a checkbook with me. So far I haven't even done anything and I'm at $206.57

Finally the car was going to be available on May 5th. I went to the preview day to actually look at the car, wandered around the place. They have so many cars, like 400ish twice a week and I couldn't figure out what order they were in. I was there for hours. Eventually I asked where the p10 was, of course it was like 2 cars over from where I was, in the only row I hadn't been down yet. It was beautiful. I decided I needed it. The auction was Monday at 9am, and it would be 113th in line. The auction guy said they do about 100 cars an hour, so maybe 10am ish? Well I had someplace I had to be at that time. But don't worry, there are more fees that can solve that.

For extra fees I could bid on the internet, which I did so that was $39. Then I won the car for $500. So that adds a buyer fee $160. And a service fee of $55. And sales tax of $73.12 of which I still don't understand what exactly that was on since the math doesn't work out no matter how I figure it. And I needed a cashiers check which the bank charged me $8.95 for.

Perfect, I drove down and paid for the car. Now, how do I get it home? Well they claim that it doesn't have a title, so you can't get a temporary trip permit and it must be towed off their lot. Great. I couldn't find any tow truck for under $100, and my dad was busy that day with big red, so I went and got a uhaul truck, and tow dolly, and they also made me rent a trailer hitch ball since apparently that doesn't come with the truck. So after driving down there and back plus refilling the stupid F150 that gets 10mpg, I was in it for $123.12.

So now I got a car, but it won't start since it has been sitting since February. I swung by the battery place and bought a PC680 for the racecar, with the fancy terminals and tax was $150.22. I stopped by Charles to show off my new car, and to use his tools to install it. Now it runs! Then I went to the licensing place and bought a trip permit for $30 so it looked like it was legal even though I'm not quite sure it was, or at least the lady at the auction place wouldn't think so. Then drove home.

Couple weeks went by with other events, but eventually I went down to the junkyard. They have a KJ1 so it doesn't match, but I needed to get the car fixed, so whatever. Plus it will get trashed in the future anyway. Good news is the door almost fits in the car. I tried to put a p10 door in a p10 before and couldn't get it to fit at all. I think literally every other part of the car will fit inside except the driver or passenger front door. The door frame hung out the back of the trunk, and I hoped it wouldn't fall out on the way home. $137.09 for the parts, and of course, environment fees. The next day I found out that parts would be half off like 3 days later, but it was too late.

Got home and started transferring parts over. Took a while, but I got it done.

Next I made an appointment with the state patrol to inspect the car. The local place was booked four weeks out. So I made an appointment with a different location like 50miles away that was only 3 weeks out. Note to self, make an appointment as soon as you buy the car. Bought another trip permit since I needed a different one day only one for untitled vehicles which I'm sure the state patrol was expecting.

Eventually time came and I went down there with my receipts. They checked that the airbag light worked and threw a sticker on it saying it is now a car again.
Next I went to the licensing place, and got the car registered. With the state patrol inspection fees, title, registration, weight, new plates, personal plates, etc. another $210.75

So all said and done, I'm at $1736.82 which is more than I wanted to pay, but since I broke my axle in race car like the day after I bought the other car, it has definitely been nice to drive around, with a compact disc player, and air conditioning, and even a working keyless entry! Much features, Such luxury, Wow.

My plates came yesterday :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sick!! I can't wait it see how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Awesome progress. Getting that other p10 on the road seemed like a pain in the ass!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts