Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think mine are almost worn out. Half the time when you hit the trunk release, the trunk releases, then quickly relocks itself. Then when it is released, its hard to open. My wife won't even try anymore as its too hard.

Does anyone have the infiniti part numbers for the struts? I looked at everythingg20.com but wasn't sure of the exact name of what these are. I found "LIFt CYLINDER" but don't know if thats right.

So I assume that when I replace the struts, the trunk will actually stay open when I hit the release? Not close when i close the drivers side door.

This is for a 1995 g20t with spoiler. TIA.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I heard the springs are the culprit for making the trunk lid close upon releasing...

Anyone know of the part number for the springs in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The Parts # for the "spring lift" for the trunk are as follows:
84415-50J00- w/spoiler
84415-50J10- wo/spoiler

Mike

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Also the bumper for the trunk part # is:
01658-00181-

This will also aid in the release of the trunk when the button is pulled. But the numbers given above are the real poppers of the trunk. All the struts do is make the movement of the trunk more fluid.

Mike

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
And the part numbers for the trunk struts:

84430-50j89- from 11/94+ w/spoiler
84430-50j88- 01/94-11/94 w/spoiler
84430-50j29- 11/94+
84430-50j28- 08/93-11/94
84430-50j26- 05/92-08/93
84430-50j25- 07/90-05/92

The earlier struts #'s don't specify if they have spoilers or not :-\

Mike

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, thanks for that info.

So there are 3 parts then? The bumper, the spring life, and the struts itself? 2 per side?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
myprojectp10 said:
Does anyone have a trick for popping the strut off the pivot ball?
I can answer that one.

take an open end wrench about 10mm or 12mm put it between the ball and pull the strut off. It should pop right out. On my trunk strut I removed the bottom nut first and then applied the technique.

if you have questions PM me and I will give you my phone number and you can call me...

·
Registered
304 Posts
hamzter said:
I can answer that one.

take an open end wrench about 10mm or 12mm put it between the ball and pull the strut off. It should pop right out. On my trunk strut I removed the bottom nut first and then applied the technique.

if you have questions PM me and I will give you my phone number and you can call me...
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ghetto fix for busted springs

Sounds like the springs alright. I replaced my struts with new ones hoping it would solve the problem. The trunk does stay up now but it is still touch and go on the release. So I went ghetto and instead of replacing the springs I added some washers.
I just glued a bunch of washers together (4-5 1/4 in ones) and glued the whole bunch to where the spring contacts the trunk on both sides. This compresses the spring more so when you hit the trunk release.... "poof"... it stays open. I don't know how much new springs are but can't beat this fix if you only have $0.83 in your pocket.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
ej_up_late said:
Sounds like the springs alright. I replaced my struts with new ones hoping it would solve the problem. The trunk does stay up now but it is still touch and go on the release. So I went ghetto and instead of replacing the springs I added some washers.
I just glued a bunch of washers together (4-5 1/4 in ones) and glued the whole bunch to where the spring contacts the trunk on both sides. This compresses the spring more so when you hit the trunk release.... "poof"... it stays open. I don't know how much new springs are but can't beat this fix if you only have $0.83 in your pocket.

Does it actually pop up a little or does it just release and not relock. It would be nice if it opened up like maximas and other cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts