Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my project kicked off today. At 7:30pm, I set my timing back to 15*, and took my front bumper off. I took off the front, drivers side wheel, just to give extra room for when I have to do my intercooler piping. I jacked up the car, and let the engine oil pour out. We also removed the fans, the battery, my groundwires, the heatshields for the manifold, took the MAF and the piping coming from the throttle body off, and sprayed a lot of PB blaster. We called it night at around 9:15pm or so, so it was a good day of work.

I did the teardown with my friend Mike, and my Dad, in my garage.

Here are pics from DAY ONE:
Me...don't ask what I'm doing..
Mike and my dad looking on
Look Ma, no fans!
Me, passed out under the car..
My dad hard at work with the wrench
Bucket for the PB blaster washoff
Mike (left), My dad (right) trying to find a tool
The G20, taken apart
Engine Bay Shot
The Interior shot (notice the black SAFCII)
Interior Shot 2 (notice the boost gauges, and the blue switch for my boost controller...hi boost, lo boost)
My Dad and I just chillin
Stock Downpipe bolts all rusted (3 winters), with a lot of PB blaster on them
Caught dead in action
Mike, trying to jack my turbo setup and my spearco intercooler, haha
Mike again with my shit
Parts parts and more parts!

VIDEO CLIP OF THE DAY: VIDEO CLIP OF DAY ONE

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
youre russian arent you? :D

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Armenian. Don't call me Russian.....lol jk. I am fluent in Russian though because I lived there for a while

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
P10 WRC said:
nice, tell your homie mike to keep his hands off you turbo. kick his ass if he pulls any crap. damn man i really want a turbo
No you don't want turbo man I am telling you, have gone through 2 motors in last 2 months... up for my 3rd swap now because jwt doesn't know how to program their shit.

Sorry koojo not trying to discourage you or anything but pray to god your shit lasts longer than mine.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SR20 Inside said:

No you don't want turbo man I am telling you, have gone through 2 motors in last 2 months... up for my 3rd swap now because jwt doesn't know how to program their shit.

Sorry koojo not trying to discourage you or anything but pray to god your shit lasts longer than mine.

Don't tell me that while I'm in the process of doing my install. Looks like you've just had a lot of bad luck. Sorry man

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
SR20 Inside said:

well i have a 92, so i don't need to worry about jwt since my car is obd1 and i can just use a stock bluebird ecu.......haha i love having a p10

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ahaha you lucky sob wrc!!

Koojo I am sure you will be just fine.... I just think it is strange that this shit has happened to me. First install was all shitty and lasted me more than 6 months. Second I made sure to do everything perfectly!! and it ends up dying within a month or two or swapping it in.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hey where did you buy that intercooler from?? I need one asap!

Nice start, lucky you... I suppose to start my install this week, crossing finger tho.=)

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Looking Good!! =)

Great pics, keep us updated for sure!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the intercooler off the guy at Ebay. It fits perfectly in the bumper, and I don't have to cut the bumper or the bumper support. I will show pictures every day ofcourse!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks, Day to began at around 4pm today because I had to work, and ended at around 9pm. It didn't go the way I have planned. I thought today I was going to remove the manifold, remove the downpipe, drop the pans, and drill/tap engine block. BUT, since I live in Vermont, snow/salt rusts shit up. We couldn't remove the nuts from the flange that connects the downpipe and the cat. They are rusted on there real good. PB blaster didn't help at all. The bolts on the flange between the manifold and the downpipe, also wouldn't budge, so we finally got a hold of a dremel at around 7:30, and went to work. We finally removed the manifold, but the downpipe is still hanging now, connected to the cat, and also the rear O2 sensor. The O2 sensor will be taken off tomorrow, but we'll have to do something crazy on the nuts on the downpipe because they won't budge. I think one of them is stripped also. I think we'll try to cut the nuts in half with the dremel, and be careful not to damage the stud, because that will be neaded. Then, remove the nut, since hopefully it will be a little loose from cutting one side.

I removed the bottom oil pan today, cleaned it all out and removed the old silcone on there.

Tomorrows plans are:
1) Remove the stock downpipe
2) Remove the upper oil pan
3) Drill and tap the block
4) Put back oil pans

I'm praying to God that we get that far....this stuff isn't as easy as it sounds.

Sorry, no pics or video today because Mike forgot his camera. He will have it tomorrow though, so I will have pics up.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Looking good man....:thumbsup:

Tell me about the downpipe to cat nuts.....nissan must use some crap nuts on there....two of us on NPOC did their ssautochrome headers today...

The other guy had a workshop to do it in.....mine was on the driveway, at the side of the house...I didn't finish mine.....:*(

Here's a couple of pics of the downpipe to cat nuts.....

one I've had a go at with a hammer and cold chisel
as it came off the car

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you finally take those nuts off? Mine look the same, all rusted and basically welded themselves on background. You said you used a chisel? Were you careful not to destroy the studs?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Koojo said:
Did you finally take those nuts off? Mine look the same, all rusted and basically welded themselves on background. You said you used a chisel? Were you careful not to destroy the studs?
Not yet....

I'm not bothered about the studs, If they get damaged M10 bolts will work...

I'm gonna weld some nuts onto the ends of the studs so that I can wrench on them...I'm hoping the heating from the welding will help free the studs from the threads in the cat....

The only other thing is it looks like I'll need a new hanger and seeing as it's Sunday, I'll have to bodge it till Monday...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm that's a bummer man. Well I'm just gonna cut the nuts with a dremel, and save the studs because they go into the cat pretty well and I don't feel like drilling them out and all that stuff. I wish there was much stronger stuff than PB blaster, like acid or something, to eat away at all the rust.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do those things work well? It heats everything really hot...but then what? Will the nut come off easier? I would have gotten the propane torch if I couldn't get the nuts off the front of the downpipe, but since they are off, all I have are the 2 back ones that connect to the cat.....which I will begin to dremel tomorrow morning...speaking of morning...I need to go to bed!

1 - 20 of 518 Posts