Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i tell if the turbo has shaft play w/o having to take out the turbo?

well its not my car but on my friends sr20det, it would boost fine during low RPMs but when it gets higher the power seems to deminish and there would be this weird noise coming from the engine bay. does this sound like a bad turbo?

oh and wat would of caused it to have play? it was working fine for a while. would over boosting be a good cause?

thanks. :)

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mm yeah i know bout that... but is there a way to find out with out taking anything apart? could there be another reason y it wouldnt boost much at higher rpms?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
yeah, theres lots of reasons why its not boosting properly, it could be a faulty actuator, leak/split in one of the vacuum/boost pipes, (i.e. turbo to actuator, turbo to boost gauge, any of the induction pipes, leak in the intercooler, inlet maifold to fuel pressure regulator etc) basically any of the pipe work/tubing that carries forced induction. Best way, start the engine and have a good listen under the hood.

if you did have excess shaft play, most likely you also burn up oil which you will be able to tell thru the exhaust emissions. is there any signs of smoke? ie, when the cars been driven hard then comes to a stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts