Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
21 - 40 of 332 Posts

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
yeah it's a direct fit, I didn't get any pics when I had it put together but it just slaps right on, it might hit the block though, I didn't get teh stuff bolted up tight only a test fit and then I sold everything so I can't say for sure, it was tight but it looked to me like it would fit.

I have a pic of the bracket, but it's off the turbo:

Same as your stock actuator, just has that bracket so it bolts behind the compressor instead of in front (so it's held on by the red bolts in your above pic)

·
6,285 Posts
yup, rod fits fine just how it's supposed to.

so only problem to worry about is clearance between the housing and teh block, like I said mine was just a loose fit.

maybe do what gotboost said and get the gtir bracket with an avenir actuator.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The turbo I have now is a W10 avenir turbo, so maybe I can just use the actuator from that.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I snapped pics but you can't see a dam thing! Sorry Koojo I can't be more help!

·
shenanigans
2,002 Posts
koojo you can make it work with the avenir wastegate and the GTiR bracket. But it wont be a 100% direct plug and play. I think you will have a little better luck than me if you use the GTiR mani instead of the avenir (like I did)..

you will need to do a little messing around with slotting the holes on the bracket/little bending to the Actuator rod/maybe grinding a little non needed metal off of the wastegate actuator. Its really all hard to explain.

you will just have to gather your parts and play around until you find something that works out smoothly. i tried like all sorts of combinations between the avenir wastgate bracket and actuator along with the GTiR wastegate bracket and actuator, and what I did seemed to work out the best for my set up.

just makes sure you take your air compressor ( 20psi or so max) and put some pressure into that wastegate before you mount it on the car to make sure it doesnt bind and works 100% smooth. you dont want to get it on the car just to find you have to rip the damn thing out again..

if I HAD to do it again, i would leave it clocked up, and just redo the IC piping. as much as I HATE the IC piping coming up and going down, it would work better with the turbo.. that or just get a external wastegate set up..

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
koojo you can make it work with the avenir wastegate and the GTiR bracket. But it wont be a 100% direct plug and play. I think you will have a little better luck than me if you use the GTiR mani instead of the avenir (like I did)..

you will need to do a little messing around with slotting the holes on the bracket/little bending to the Actuator rod/maybe grinding a little non needed metal off of the wastegate actuator. Its really all hard to explain.

you will just have to gather your parts and play around until you find something that works out smoothly. i tried like all sorts of combinations between the avenir wastgate bracket and actuator along with the GTiR wastegate bracket and actuator, and what I did seemed to work out the best for my set up.

just makes sure you take your air compressor ( 20psi or so max) and put some pressure into that wastegate before you mount it on the car to make sure it doesnt bind and works 100% smooth. you dont want to get it on the car just to find you have to rip the damn thing out again..

if I HAD to do it again, i would leave it clocked up, and just redo the IC piping. as much as I HATE the IC piping coming up and going down, it would work better with the turbo.. that or just get a external wastegate set up..

I just bought a JGY manifold, what is supposed to put the turbo in the 'stock location'..whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing it just moves it forward slightly away from the block. I don't plan on using my current avenir manifold. I also just bought a GTiR wg bracket, so once that comes in, I'm going to see if I can make that fit with my current avenir actuator. I first have to take apart the setup I have in the car now. I don't mind doing some fab work as long as it's nothing too crazy.

·
6,285 Posts
I just bought a JGY manifold, what is supposed to put the turbo in the 'stock location'..whatever the hell that means. I'm guessing it just moves it forward slightly away from the block. I don't plan on using my current avenir manifold. I also just bought a GTiR wg bracket, so once that comes in, I'm going to see if I can make that fit with my current avenir actuator. I first have to take apart the setup I have in the car now. I don't mind doing some fab work as long as it's nothing too crazy.
after reading gotboost's post i think that will work well for you koojo, since my test fitting was done with the gtir mani so maybe that's why i had the clearance that he didn't.

so I think that if you run the jgy manifold, gtir bracket, and avenir actuator you should be good to go. but like gotboost said, you might have to play around a little bit, that should be a good start though :thumbsup:

·
shenanigans
2,002 Posts
yea koojo that turbo upgrade is worth it.. i just got the G back together enough to take her for a quick spin yesterday after sitting all winter.. and the T28 at 6 psi feels like the t25 at 10-12 psi..

I cant wait to get her totally finished and retune her for 16 psi.. :monster:

·
6,285 Posts
yea koojo that turbo upgrade is worth it.. i just got the G back together enough to take her for a quick spin yesterday after sitting all winter.. and the T28 at 6 psi feels like the t25 at 10-12 psi..

I cant wait to get her totally finished and retune her for 16 psi.. :monster:
you should ditch the journal bearing t28 and get a 2560R . . . I think someone on here has a used one for sale :cheeky:

/shameless plug.

Koojo we need videos of pulls after you get this upgrade done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
you should ditch the journal bearing t28 and get a 2560R . . . I think someone on here has a used one for sale :cheeky:

/shameless plug.

Koojo we need videos of pulls after you get this upgrade done :thumbsup:
Oh def. man. Hey are there any good dyno/tuning areas in NH? I live in VT, so it's not that far. There is only 1 or 2 places here with a dyno, and I've been there before, and they almost overheated my car, so I want to go to a professional tuning place and have my emu tuned.

im jealous Koojo....lol one day il catch up though..
It's all good man, take your time. You're young you don't need to rush lol. Lets just make sure you do everything right the first time, so you don't have the problems that I did when I first turbo'd my car.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It's all good man, take your time. You're young you don't need to rush lol. Lets just make sure you do everything right the first time, so you don't have the problems that I did when I first turbo'd my car.

for sure man, dont wanna mess anything up or have problems..so il be reading your entire thread as its being made..

i already read your older thread like twice...i even took notes..:smile:

·
6,285 Posts
Oh def. man. Hey are there any good dyno/tuning areas in NH? I live in VT, so it's not that far. There is only 1 or 2 places here with a dyno, and I've been there before, and they almost overheated my car, so I want to go to a professional tuning place and have my emu tuned.
Performance Dyno in Concord I hear is good, sr20forum had a BBQ and dyno day last summer (i had to miss it :( ). here's there website: http://www.performance-dyno.com/New Site/Performance-Dyno.html

I would call them though, I sent them an email 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied.

If you do go there we should meet up, concord is like 30 min from my house.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Got some work done on the car today. The plan was to take the current turbo out of the car, so that's exactly what I did. The car hasn't been moved since..oh last December. I finally put the battery in this morning and started her up. At first she idled really high, at about 2000 rpms, and the idle would go up and down quickly. I took it around the block and it seemed like the engine motor was always at part throttle, even with my foot off the gas...I'm going down the street in 2nd gear, and I kept at 20mph for like a minute w/o having to press the gas. So I though that was weird, since when I last drove it, everything was fine. I thought that maybe the throttle cable was jammed somewhere, but it was fine. I went back and parked it in the garage, took out all the spark plugs and cleaned them, check the fuel pressure, and started her back up, and she idled just under 1000 rpm's (engine was still cold), so whatever I did fixed the problem. I checked to see if there was a code, and I got P0505 on pending, which means idle control system malfunction, so maybe the ecu didn't wake up yet from its long hibernation lol. It's probably the fact that it hasn't been started in 4 months, but whatever, idles normally now. But the boost at 7psi felt SOO good..I haven't driven a boosted car in 4 months, and that just made my day. Anyway, after that was over, I went ahead and stripped the thing. I think the pictures pretty much tell the story:

1) Here is how she sits prior to me doing anything. Don't mind the big hole in the hood insulation..that's been there forever.

2) Motor up close

3) Current turbo setup (T25)

4) So I jacked her up

5) And started undoing her buttons

6) Manifold gone. It took me a while to get the downpipe off the J-Pipe since I didn't have enough leverage to break the nuts loose. I found a big ass pipe and put that over the socket wrench and got them all off in a jiffy. I removed the oil and water lines from the turbo.

7) Out with the old:

8) W10 T25, Avenir manifold, jpipe, compressor outlet flange. Oh by the way, I found that my avenir manifold had a small crack in it :monkey:. Not sure if any air escapes from it, but still.

9) GT2560R (GT28R) vs the Teeny-25. I temporarily put the jpipe on the GT28R and it fit perfectly. I was told that I had to widen some of the bolt holes, but it fit fine. I also attached the compressor outlet flange to see if it fit. With the flange on the GT28R, it is turned slightly less than on the T25, so I think it might hit motor mount..but maybe not. If it does, I'll just take it to a shop, have them cut flange fitting and weld it on at the desired angle. I still need to get new gaskets for everything.

10) I took the avenir wastegate actuator off the T25 and put it on the GT28R. The length of the rod is perfect, but the bracket is not quite there. I have a GTiR bracket coming in the mail this week or next, so that should do the trick. The stock GT28R actuator is bolted in the back, and is only for RWD vehicles. It doesn't work on FWD SR20's.

11) And this is after I had my way with her :naughty:. She now sleeps until I get more parts in.

21 - 40 of 332 Posts