Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if turbocharging the SR20DE in the P11 would cause any problems with the air conditioning? Can you run the A/C as you would if you didn't turbocharge the engine?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Are you sure about that? depending on the setup you may have to worry about overheating. I know a couple of the guys here in Az have been having trouble with keeping stuff cool in the summertime, let alone run the A/C. I don't know if the humidity in Fl wil help (act as natural water injection), but i'd guess it gets hot enough there where running the A/C may cause issues with the cooling system in the summer time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Now I'm back at square one.

FL is H-O-T (like AZ). I cannot drive a car w/out A/C. This issue needs to be discussed because I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to add forced induction to the P11 and still have the comfort the car was intended for.

b-boogie- here's your chance to make me feel the warm and fuzzy's for the G yet again.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Well Justin lives in the hottest part of the country, so maybe he's more qualified on the topic than I am.

It is possible to keep your A/C. I'll bet theres a lot more turbo SR20's running A/C w/o problems than there are w/ problems.

This may be dependant on the setup you run.

You could always get a better radiator like the Nismo, or even better, Koyo.

Don't forget fans too. I'll be getting Flex-a-lite (FAL) 210 puller fans which are much slimmer than stock (gives you more clearance for turbo components and piping) but more importantly, they flow WAY more.

Zak had these on his monster Sentra turbo and he said they are unbelievable. (he ran a stock radiator btw...)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, the guys out here are running bigger radiators, stronger fans, water wetter (or other fluids like this), swain coatings, and some aerodynamic mods to help with airflow/cooling. They still have problems when it's hot out running the A/C w/o overheating. If Louis is reading I know he'd be very well qualified to answer this question as he's run his turbo car in the summer here, Kyle may be able to help with this too, i know he has talked to others about this too. The other thing is with certain turbo setups, rerouting of the A/C lines may be necessary (one guy here has to do that on his 200sx). I'm sure it can be done, but you have to do a lot more to keep the A/C in a hot climate on a boosted car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good suggestions. I will find out how much the Nismo Rad is and the Koyo. I will chop this one up with Andreas before we do the job. Jay Whitley, lives in Tampa area like me and has a DE-T or a DET. I will ask em what his feelings are on the subject. I'll let you know what I come up with. If they don't beat me to post

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
More power produces more heat.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
P11GT said:
hopefully a bit Aquamist will sort that out yes??
Water injection would help cool the intake air temps, however, you'd have to have a VERY large rserve tank to run the water injection all the time, also, the water injection will rob some hp (allows you to up the boost though). I wouldn't look to this as a remedy for overheating, but rather a way to get more hp out of pump gas.

The turbo creates more heat by compressing the air going into the engine. When it does this the turbo itself and many of the other surrounding parts heat up from this process and in turn heat up the rest of the engine bay. which in turn rises oil, water and other engine temps. I'm sure there is more i'm forgetting too...

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts