Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was planning on buying a turbo in week or two and my friend was telling me that i would deffinitely need to lower my compression. but ive heard that you dont have to do any mods inside the engine till you get over 400hp? any help

matt

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
mcguiver7 said:
i was planning on buying a turbo in week or two and my friend was telling me that i would deffinitely need to lower my compression. but ive heard that you dont have to do any mods inside the engine till you get over 400hp? any help
Lower compression would be better, but no, with the SR20 you don't need to lower the compression if you know what you are doing or if someone who does helps you. Don't trust just any monkey.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lower compression would be better for my hp or just better for my engine?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Higher Boost = Lower Compression

I cannot speak for the SR20 but, in general, the higher boost (psi or Inches Mercury, inHg) you want to run, the lower your compression ratio will need to be. In addition to the boost, intercooling and fuel octane come into play. Some new technology "low pressure" turbocharging methods do not lower the compression at all. Saab comes to mind with their V-6. I forget the exact boost pressure, something like 5-7 psi, plus intercooling and premium fuel. Of course, at these lower boost levels, HP increases will only be in the neighborhood of 30-50. Torque should also be boosted in the steetable low rpm area.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
mcguiver7 said:
lower compression would be better for my hp or just better for my engine?

Both.

Lower compression by itself won't give you more hp, but improved tuning to take advantage of it will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts