Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Good friend of mine has a 55" Samsung Curved. I was skeptical but the picture really is great. You can see it from the peripheral as well, its not as bad as you would think.

Plus he had the Samsung Curved soundbar with it, so it was pretty nice to look at.

We got a Sony XBR series last year, 55". I believe it was about $1100.

The picture is really fantastic and it has an Android OS base. The TV has been great but the OS has caused a few issues.

Good:
Obviously thin and light weight.
Fantastic 4k picture and HDR Support.
HDMI ARC Support - this allows two-way communication between my cable box, receiver and the TV which is nice, and audio flows through it so you do not need a separate TOSLink (fiber-optic) audio cable. This also allows multiple remotes to control the volume automatically via the linking. For example, if I cast YouTube to the TV, it will automatically switch the input on the receiver accordingly. Using the TV remote for volume will control the receiver's volume instead of the TV.

Bad:
The power supply is external and a little large. I put it on top of the wall mount.
The Android OS has crashed/hung on me a few times. After a bunch of updates it seems ok now.
Network Storm - for whatever reason, this TV has brown down my home network on 3-4 occassions due to a flood of traffic. This also hasn't happened in a while, but worth noting.

We have a Hisense in the bedroom. I won it at an auction at a local bar. Its a cheap Chinese brand but the picture is descent and I believe they either own or are owned by Sharp now. That has a lot of noise at low volumes which is a bit annoying.

·
Administrator
5,847 Posts
we were considering a curved screen because we have a built in tv stand in the corner. Was thinking we may be able to get a bit more TV if it was curved. Viewing angle not really an issue when it's shoved in a corner.

Pretty much decided to get one of these four TV's

TCL
55p605/55p607

Samsung
UN55MU6290 / UN55MU6300

Seems the lower numbers are the same TV's but lack a couple of features like bluetooth. Really coming down to which one I can get a smoking hot deal on. And if it's the TCL I need to convince the fiance it's not a POS.
I've never seen a single person use Bluetooth on a TV... LOL.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've never seen a single person use Bluetooth on a TV... LOL.
The bluetooth seems to be mainly for the remote control. Second reason for it is wireless headphones. Things I do not really care about.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
PC Richards has the samsung UN55MU6290 right now for $499. Seems like a good deal. I might be better off waiting until after the holidays though.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well we went and snagged the MU2950.

My first impression is that they don't make these tv's like they used to. Very light set with a not so stable stand. The TV itself (not the picture) looks pretty good. Slim bezels and a clean look. The stand is some ugly gunmetal color. Love it on rims, not so much on TV's. It is a single post with V legs. I will be needing to strap the set to the wall.

Picture quality out of the box is trash. I spent an hour with it and finally got it pretty good, though not perfect. I then loaded up some THX calibration software and did a few more tweaks. I think I finally got it to where it is the best it can be. I am getting a bit of color banding that I never noticed on my older set. It might have been there but I didn't notice it. With my final settings the picture still has a bit of a washed out look. Also I seem to lose some detail on very dark images. For example say someone is wearing a black coat on the show. I will have a hard time seeing the details like pocket and what not. I can adjust for this but it adds to the washed out look. Meaning the blacks get lighter, almost gray and then I run into the issue with whites merging all together.

I am not new to setting up tv's and I am confident this is the best I can get this picture to look. I won't lie it's a great picture for the money and I didn't expect more at this price point.

The audio just like the picture was not good out of the box. I did not mess with the EQ but rather changed the preset sound mode. Originally voices were low and almost an under water sounding. Music was crisp and loud for such tiny speakers. After making the change it is all evened out. Louder voice and lower music. My room has high ceilings and is quite large. This has made all the TV's in the room harder to hear. So far without adjusting the EQ I am happy with the sound.

Few issues I had so far was the screen getting ridiculously dim. I guess there are sensors built in and after disabling I fixed that issue. I like my TV bright no matter what the room light is. If I want to dim it in a dark room I will do it myself. Another annoying issue was my TV would turn itself back on after I shut it off. Due to CEC with my nvidia shield I think some reason they were having an issue communicating. Almost like the shield didn't shut down quick enough and the TV picked the signal back up and turned itself back on. This seems to have been fixed through the Shield menu and a reboot.

There are other odd things going on with the shield. The google assistant pops up for no reason sometimes. Never happened with the old TV. It is very odd and I am not sure why it is happening. I will be getting a better HDMI cable and starting with that. Another possibility is one of my kids are sitting on a lost remote that is stuffed in a couch cushion.

Overall I am happy and for $499 for a 4k samsung it was a steal. I actually tried out the 4k. It looks amazing. I first tried a movie on amazon but it didn't come through 4k. Then I switched over to The Grand Tour. I knew that was 4k and I never watched it before so figured it was a good one to try. Worked perfect even with my horrible 25mbps internet.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Nice man, 499$ is a good deal. I'm sure you will get the kinks worked out.

·
Administrator
5,847 Posts
Well we went and snagged the MU2950.

My first impression is that they don't make these tv's like they used to. Very light set with a not so stable stand. The TV itself (not the picture) looks pretty good. Slim bezels and a clean look. The stand is some ugly gunmetal color. Love it on rims, not so much on TV's. It is a single post with V legs. I will be needing to strap the set to the wall.

Picture quality out of the box is trash. I spent an hour with it and finally got it pretty good, though not perfect. I then loaded up some THX calibration software and did a few more tweaks. I think I finally got it to where it is the best it can be. I am getting a bit of color banding that I never noticed on my older set. It might have been there but I didn't notice it. With my final settings the picture still has a bit of a washed out look. Also I seem to lose some detail on very dark images. For example say someone is wearing a black coat on the show. I will have a hard time seeing the details like pocket and what not. I can adjust for this but it adds to the washed out look. Meaning the blacks get lighter, almost gray and then I run into the issue with whites merging all together.

I am not new to setting up tv's and I am confident this is the best I can get this picture to look. I won't lie it's a great picture for the money and I didn't expect more at this price point.

The audio just like the picture was not good out of the box. I did not mess with the EQ but rather changed the preset sound mode. Originally voices were low and almost an under water sounding. Music was crisp and loud for such tiny speakers. After making the change it is all evened out. Louder voice and lower music. My room has high ceilings and is quite large. This has made all the TV's in the room harder to hear. So far without adjusting the EQ I am happy with the sound.

Few issues I had so far was the screen getting ridiculously dim. I guess there are sensors built in and after disabling I fixed that issue. I like my TV bright no matter what the room light is. If I want to dim it in a dark room I will do it myself. Another annoying issue was my TV would turn itself back on after I shut it off. Due to CEC with my nvidia shield I think some reason they were having an issue communicating. Almost like the shield didn't shut down quick enough and the TV picked the signal back up and turned itself back on. This seems to have been fixed through the Shield menu and a reboot.

There are other odd things going on with the shield. The google assistant pops up for no reason sometimes. Never happened with the old TV. It is very odd and I am not sure why it is happening. I will be getting a better HDMI cable and starting with that. Another possibility is one of my kids are sitting on a lost remote that is stuffed in a couch cushion.

Overall I am happy and for $499 for a 4k samsung it was a steal. I actually tried out the 4k. It looks amazing. I first tried a movie on amazon but it didn't come through 4k. Then I switched over to The Grand Tour. I knew that was 4k and I never watched it before so figured it was a good one to try. Worked perfect even with my horrible 25mbps internet.
Nice man.

This may help: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6290/settings

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Sometimes a firmware flash does the trick, some tvs do this automatically when connected to wifi or ethernet, some require you to manually push the update.

I found an 47" LG sitting on the side of the road a few months ago, had some common problem where the mainboard solder needed to "reflow". Did a firmware update on the TV too, haven't noticed any issues, and my daughter watches cartoons on it all of the time. Had about 8-9 different updates it went through consecutively before it finally updated to the most current version, and hasn't updated since. Granted, the TV is probably close to 5 years old now.

Guess what I'm trying to say, is that manufactures will probably issue multiple updates to their TV's over the first few months of release, my Samsung only had 1 since I bought it new. My Vizio 4k, bought new about a year and a half ago has gone through probably 5 updates (has automatic updates through wifi). Who knows, maybe some of the issues (like a dim screen) can be resolved with an update?

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Administrator
5,847 Posts
I read that and found it pretty useful. I used most of those settings as my starting point. The just played around after that. Finally used the THX software. Actually not even sure I made too much adjustments with the THX program. It was already about 99% of they way done.
Yeah I do the same, every room is different and viewing media so I use them to start then just fiddle with it every few days till I get where I like it.

The THX is pretty cool though..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts