Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Where should the aftermarket tweeters be installed?

• In the door?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • In the column by the dashboard?

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Other location.

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to poll this question before I actually did some cutting.

Should I put the tweeters in the door, A column where the factory puts them or other?

·
Registered
595 Posts
tweets

keep the stock....just get some nice/sharp ass tweets...and turn up the gain on the amp for them.....but if u can cove up the stock tweet hole ( which u can, just reappolster the pillar)then go for it my man...its all up to u...."to drill or not to drill this is the question.....

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
if you can grab some pillars with the stock tweet placements and just enlarge or something, that would work out perfect. if you dont though, you could still put it in the stock location and just re-upholster it like bones said, but dont have a cutout for it so no one can tell you have tweeters :bandit:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was able to fit some 1" tweeters into the factory locations. I think the factory positioning of the tweeters is a good place, and there is no cutting necessary. I had them in the doors of my 91 (mounted flush, not angled towards you) and the sound stage was still too low for my tastes.

Depending on the depth of the tweeter (I had mbQuart PCE components), you should be able to just screw the back of the tweeter into a strip of metal that will clamp it to the factory mount. No modifications needed. If you're worried about rattling, you could throw some dynomat behind the mount before you screw it back on, but I didn't have any problems with it.

edit: I forgot, also I actually had to set my crossover to -4dB so that it didn't make your ears bleed when you turned up the volume. It sounds great, more than enough highs come through...

·
Registered
595 Posts
pillar mount

try to find some 94 and up pillars,,,,,the magnet from the tweet is whats hold mine in place....it fits so snug.....exhaust all options first...ive seen flush mounts in an ser and it did look really good....but that was hell for my boy......even if you could just find the mesh grill from the stock pillars...u could just use a hole cutter drill bit and cut your current stock pillars...but u still would have to reappolster the pillar....someone must have some pillars waiting to sell....dam i cant spell for shi- ,,,,its the burns i tell u the burns

·
Registered
595 Posts
pillar

heres a poss.........try to do a carbonfiber type thing.....mold the current pillar then go from there you could do your own thing...its an idea...then once u did it and it looks good mass produce it.............06 motto "get money"

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think in the doors it would be way easier than in the A pillar. Plus the a pillar people can see it.

I am biased with Pat, but I like the way the A pillar location of the tweeter sounds. I do not have tweets in the A pillar as of yet. So... I am still thinking about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got a pair of Infinity Reference 6010cs components and they sound unbelievable. (I'm a classical musician and although if I'm listening to stuff with 'bump', I like 'bump', but I generally prefer clarity and accuracy.)

Anyways, my friend and I installed them in the rear (and before you start with the flames, I had my reasons!), and we placed the tweeters in the rear pillar. We had questions about mounting depth, but there's a perfectly placed hole in the sheet metal behind the trim piece that allowed us to install the adjustable mounts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks man! I'm really happy with the way they look and sound. Those edge driven silk dome tweeters are just so CLEAN! I also slapped a few pieces of DynaMat here and there and the bass is really nice and tight in the rear...hunh....pun completely unintended! ;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anotherwhitecar said:
I just got a pair of Infinity Reference 6010cs components and they sound unbelievable. (I'm a classical musician and although if I'm listening to stuff with 'bump', I like 'bump', but I generally prefer clarity and accuracy.)

Anyways, my friend and I installed them in the rear (and before you start with the flames, I had my reasons!), and we placed the tweeters in the rear pillar. We had questions about mounting depth, but there's a perfectly placed hole in the sheet metal behind the trim piece that allowed us to install the adjustable mounts.

That is frickin' ill man... I like the rear setup... we will see if I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Hamzter. Yeah, I'm really happy with how they look and work back there.

But I'm probably going to ditch my current front speakers and get some components there too. (Most likely the Infinity Reference 5010cs)

I'll probably mount in the stock locations, or has anyone thought of, or installed tweeters in triangular plastic trim piece that covers the mounting area of the side mirrors?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anotherwhitecar said:
Thanks Hamzter. Yeah, I'm really happy with how they look and work back there.

But I'm probably going to ditch my current front speakers and get some components there too. (Most likely the Infinity Reference 5010cs)

I'll probably mount in the stock locations, or has anyone thought of, or installed tweeters in triangular plastic trim piece that covers the mounting area of the side mirrors?
I am highly motivated to install them in the triangular area where the side mirrors are in the door.

might happen sooner than later... Since the car will be parked I can tear apart the ride and figure out where I will install them... Stay Tuned... or recommend to me where... I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hamzter said:
I am highly motivated to install them in the triangular area where the side mirrors are in the door.

might happen sooner than later... Since the car will be parked I can tear apart the ride and figure out where I will install them... Stay Tuned... or recommend to me where... I am open to suggestions.
What speakers are you installing by the way?

I'd think that installing the tweets in the pillars would have the best imaging. Unless it's physically unreasonable, I'm gonna try to install mine there.

One of the problems of installing in the door is that when you're driving, your arm can get in the way of the left tweeter and kinda kill the highs from that side. Might be the same with the triangular plastic trim option too....

Or if you really wanna go nuts, you could take a page out of the Miata book and mount the tweets in your headrest! :shock:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anotherwhitecar said:
What speakers are you installing by the way?

I'd think that installing the tweets in the pillars would have the best imaging. Unless it's physically unreasonable, I'm gonna try to install mine there.

One of the problems of installing in the door is that when you're driving, your arm can get in the way of the left tweeter and kinda kill the highs from that side. Might be the same with the triangular plastic trim option too....

Or if you really wanna go nuts, you could take a page out of the Miata book and mount the tweets in your headrest! :shock:
Yes in the A Pillar would be great. The Other option is up high on the A Pillar would work if you don't have the Auto Seatbelts. Unfortunately I do... :*(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
junknstuff said:
corner pieces of the side mirrors would be perfect as well. i would consider putting them there myself but only if i can get mounts that can swivel so i can change the angle of it (i dont want it just facing to my passenger and vice versa).
I am getting brave with the fiberglass. I might just FB the tweeter housing so that it is angled. Thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts