Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you may know im looking into a mitsu eclipse. Well supposibly its been rebuilt. I went and saw the car tonight and although ricey the car overall seemed ok. But the guy who owns it said something that makes me a little un-sure. He said that it may burn a little oil being as it was just rebuilt and has under 100miles on the rebuild and only a few passes up and down the street. But i thought if the car burns oil then that usually means the piston rings are crapping out? but this car is supposed to have new rings? has anyone heard of this or had it happen? am i just being nervous?

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
it make you wonder if the cyl walls were in bad shap before rebuild. if they where scored or iregular than it could be the cuase. An engine brand new does not burn oil if built correctly. at least not noticble oil.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
the rings should seat quick in the first 50-100 miles. the best way to seat your rings is at full tilt. if it's smoking and he says the rings are still seating, tell him to come back once they've seated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know a lot about the topic but what is the reason of buying a car that burns up oil (rebuilt engine or not). I would stay away from this purchase.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see but it doesnt even have 10miles on the rebuild. It was rebuilt then took a few passes up and down his street. He didnt say it burns a ton of oil he just said it may burn a little being as it was so recently rebuilt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Doesn't that sound fishy to you? He JUST got it rebuilt and it's only run a few miles...now he wants to sell it? I'd do what burningsquirrel says and pay him a visit when (if) it stops burning oil.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i run a compression test on it wouldnt that show if the rings were bad or not? I've seen the car run and it seems to run just fine.

When i had the headgasket replaced on my neon it burned a little oil but soon after stopped.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
burning oil isn't supposed to happen. forget the effort on the compression test. like i said above, tell him to come back when it stops smoking.

look, you can pay for it now... but what if it doesn't stop smoking? then you're screwed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not smoking though. Thats whats weird about it. The motor runs just fine and doesnt smoke....but he said it "may" burn a little oil? like i said it sounded a little weird to me thats why i asked. If it burns oil its usually because of the piston rings right? well if the piston rings are crap then wouldnt a compression test tell me?

Im just trying to understand this all. I was going to rent a compression tester from advance and bring it with me when me and my uncle go to the guys house this thursday.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
if the cly wals are damadged are out of round the rings might never seat corectly.
if valve oil seals are bad you can burn oil. if you were to do a leakdown and all was in spec than i wouldn't worry about what he siad

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
if you have to compression test a car, forget about it. no potential car is worth that trouble. listen to turbobrick. if you have to justify it, pass.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i picked up the car tonight. My mechanic drove it and said he was all good. Assured me it drove fine and ran quite well. Although its a 1.8l and gutless.

project de-rice shall begin. If i were to drive the car around now it would require i wear a bag over my head.

Sadly the body kit will stay though. Its to much work for me to take it off and find stockers. The rear is molded and so are the sidskirts. The kit is in good condition and i've seen more wild and retarded kits.

Oh well.....atleast this winter i can plow snow!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
SleakG20 said:
Well i picked up the car tonight. My mechanic drove it and said he was all good. Assured me it drove fine and ran quite well. Although its a 1.8l and gutless.

project de-rice shall begin. If i were to drive the car around now it would require i wear a bag over my head.

Sadly the body kit will stay though. Its to much work for me to take it off and find stockers. The rear is molded and so are the sidskirts. The kit is in good condition and i've seen more wild and retarded kits.

Oh well.....atleast this winter i can plow snow!
I hope all goes well for you with your purchase but if something does happen I dont know how much love you are going to get from some of these guys who told you not to

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I trust my friend adam. Hes been modding/working on cars for about 10 years and doing it as his job nearly as long.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts