Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Or Downgrade to save weight?

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys will be familier with my system setup. Heres my problem.

I first started off with just one 12W6 and used a Kenwood KAC-PS301T bridged to power it, and it sounded really good. Now i have two 12W6's powered off the very same amp. Thing is, well its underpowered and i know that the amp cant produce the best bass from the two subs. I dont know wether to invest in another 301T to power each individual sub, or re-design the box for just one single 12W6 and be done with the other. Reason being, that the combination of the twin box and subs weighs really heavy therefore slowing down my ride, plus, theres no more room on the headlining to fit another amp:D I would then have to mount the new amp somewhere in the trunk, prolly in the same type of amp rack that ive used previously.

I want your opinions please

·
Registered
144 Posts
mos def get yourself another amp

·
Registered
69 Posts
btw, if your trying to save weight, id scrap the system, put a new amp in the headliner that comes close to the size, maybe arc audio or a zapco amp or xtant.. phoenix gold is good too.. IM me and ill throw down my ideas.. however, as far as subs go, i always though of subs as deadweight and stuff.. so theres a company now though, Illusion Audio from the good old US of A, they make a carbon fiber sub that ways next to nothing and its max wattage is around 200watts, and they sound beautiful, they dont have mass excursion they arent ghetto woofers for your suburban.. they reproduce bass well, but dont expect to blow off your hat and have trouble breathing, of course you could get a buncha those woofers, but that would defeat the whole course of action in lightening the load in your car wouldn't it?=), oh yea, and they take a small box, maybe you could redo your trunk and have the amps and sub flush into the back, and do something with plexi and make a protective screen of some sort, check out the xtant 603x or x603, that would be the one amp i would recommend to you as far as maybe recontructing the system=)

good luck
babir

·
Registered
102 Posts
it is a easy answer to a easy question get a new amp. i dont think there would be that much of a weight difference either... unless you are getiing some monster ampo that weight 200 lbs that i dont know about.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a lot of you seem to have mis-understood me a bit. The weight problem doesnt occur because of another amp, what i mean is, that the present double box containing both subs already weighs alot, so i was thinking of just going back to using one sub, therefore less the weight of one sub, and also half the weight of the subbox.

im still thinking about it, but my main problem is that the amp im using, that is housed in the roof, is now obsolete, but i can still get one i think. I would prefer to have two matching amps, to drive the two subs seperately, so the power is balanced.

·
Registered
133 Posts
To be honest with you, I'd just use the amp you have and make a custom box for one of the subs. But this all depends on how much bass you want. I find with my 12" JL W3 D4 I have PLENTY of power. It's not going to shake the car next to you but thats not what I'm going for. I just want balance with a good low end. Plus this the other sub adds more weight and does slow you down. It's all depends if you want crazy bass or not...thats just my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts