Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows any good surface prep. tips since many of you have painted your VC's (atomic I'm gonna do your spray on method). I know about using wax or vasoline on parts not to be painted but how should I prep. the metal VC? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The spark plugs will just pop right out, just give them a good pull. They already have #'s on them, so you know where they go.

What I did was I used the cleaner from my FoliaTEC brake caliper paint kit to clean the valve surface. I then just used High Temp Paint spray on the area, making sure to tape up the engine bay, so that I don't spray anything else. I don't remember how many coats I used, but a few are needed - you'll see how many you need.

Some people choose to use a High Temp Lacquer after to make it shiny, but I didn't.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man...So what you are saying is that I don't need one of those spark plug wrenches or anything and I could just pull out the plug+wire area and they will come.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I just painted My old one black today while I was board at work. I used High temp black and Clear. I was gonna sell it if your interested. I am gonna sand down the G20 symbol & other letters and polish them tommorro.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I painted it today and after several coats I noticed some blotching, I guess this was from overspray/dripping...I fixed this by sanding down the painted VC and applying more coats but now I have a rough finish that isn't all that smooth..It's all black but textured like a web....Weird!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
well, you can coat it with more paint, then sand the paint down to a smooth surface, but you have to use really fine sandpaper, like 1200 and above grit stuff, wet sand this. From there you need to use some rubbing compound and polish to get it looking good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
www.eastwoodco.com

this place has all kinds of useful stuff. For the VC, though overkill, I would use the Hi-temp exhaust manifold paint in silver. It gives a ceramic coated header look and can be waxed to an incredible shine. also, you would need to rough up the surface with some 80 grit paper and hit it with some adhesion promoter for good measure. It will be on there for life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts