Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the exact torque values need to torque down the valve cover. I was using 69-87 lbs. but when I went to torque down the first bolt, it snapped. Here is a pic of the FSM.

That is were I got the 67-89 value at. If you know for sure that that is wrong, please tell as I will have only Monday to fix my car. If you don't know, don't post. Thanks in advanced and I await your reply. Values only please.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its 5.75 - 7.25 foot pounds of torque? If so, thank you for pointing that out.

Doesn't that seem a little low? When I took off the bolts, they seemed alot harder than 5 foot pounds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
markbuts3 said:
10Nm or 7lb-ft in Haynes manual...

Thanks for the quick reply, tommorow should go very smoothly now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
markbuts3 said:
No problem.......right place..right time...:)

Ya, no kidding. That was a pretty dang fast reply. Luckily the bolt isn't attached to the block, I just threaded it out. It was freaky too because I started to torque it down, and it felt like it only reached like 10-12 lbs and snap! I was like, what the heck!?! Now I know though... as I insert foot in mouth.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
It's an easy mistake, you expect the torque values to use the same units throughout.......
Why list some in lb-ft and others in lb-in......
As you see the Haynes manual stays with lb-ft....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Be sure to tighten the bolts when the engine is cold. Never do it when the engine is still warm to the touch. The torque value will be much lower on hot aluminum. You can easily strip the thread. Same idea as replacing the spark plugs on a hot aluminum head.
Don't ask why I know.

Nelson

·
Registered
20,794 Posts
DaPCWiz said:
wouldn't the engine be cool by the time ur putting ur vc on anyway? the engine can't exactly be on with the vc off.... :confused:
I didn't want to risk it so I just ended up waiting on installing mine until the next day before I drove it anywhere.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
nismohks said:
my torque wrench lowest value is 30Nm so what do i do ?
Tighten it up lightly & then give it 1/2 a turn more ....... & NO MORE ....... 5Ft Lbs is just over finger tight :)

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I've only got a 7mm one fer me jubilee clips ........... Gonna have to get more me finks ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
#16 J.M said in the message posted : REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES & CONNECT YOUR GENETALIA TO THE NEAREST POWER LINE
so I made a joke and said then what? get it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts