Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Great I needed these values, Doing Valve cover gasket tomorrow, good thing this sticky was here.... ;)
CarloSR said:
And why is this a sticky ?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I think he is referring to the come back from J..M's sig again. Still not funny.

There is tons of material here to create a new joke, something about busting a nut and getting your threads all sticky. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Ok so i dont know why anyone needs to know specific torque values for 10mm bolts. They're not head bolts, you tighten them until they're tight and thats it. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet w/ a 10mm deep socket and tighten with one hand until you feel resistance and thats good. I use my 1/4" air ratchet and when the ratchet stops the bolt is tight, its quite simple and no you don't have to be paranoid about a Valve cover gasket leaking because they seal good, and if you see a little seepage, just tweak them a little.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Ok so i dont know why anyone needs to know specific torque values for 10mm bolts. They're not head bolts, you tighten them until they're tight and thats it. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet w/ a 10mm deep socket and tighten with one hand until you feel resistance and thats good. I use my 1/4" air ratchet and when the ratchet stops the bolt is tight, its quite simple and no you don't have to be paranoid about a Valve cover gasket leaking because they seal good, and if you see a little seepage, just tweak them a little.
Because some people have a habit of snapping small bolts.

I never use a torque wrench apart from critical components like head bolts, bearing caps etc. Otherwise it's tight enough for the size of the bolt :)

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
If you don't want to use it that is fine it is your car but you can't argue against someone that wants to follow the book. I look up most everything mechanical, cosmetic parts are tight enought they don't fall off the car. I got some torque wrenches, might as well do things consistantly for things that matter.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Because some people have a habit of snapping small bolts.

Yeah thats what i'm saying. You don't have to wrench down on 10mm bolts. They are simply hand tightened. Probably 90% of bolts torque specs are irrelevant. Unless its inside the engine or wheel lugs. Just tighten until its tight. Dont over tighten, its as simple as that

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Indeed it does apply to all. The only difference is the DET's have coil on plugs with a 10mm that needs to be removed to pull the coil off. DE's just have a plug wire

·
Registered
548 Posts
According to my sources there is a very precise way of doing this. I don't have a picture but here it goes. U tighten nuts 1-10-11-13-8 to 35 in. Lbs then tighten them in order 1-13 to 87 in. Lbs

21 - 38 of 38 Posts