Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, flat out Im a newbie. Im not dumb though, and have been into cars all my life, just not imports. Well, I now own a 95' G20 5spd, I really like the car, and its not horribly slow, but It sure would make a killer sleeper. Ive been reading around, and it seems modding the stock SR20DE isnt all the worthwhile, at least to me the results I see arent worth the money Im seeing invested. Id like to look into the SR20DET a bit more, but I have now come across a VE? I have no clue what it is, nor how it compares, if its not ultra-expensiver or rare, some info would be nice, as well as a good place to buy it at. The DET is a turbo engine, and to my understanding, only the lowest HP version fits the G20's, possibly Im wrong, I do not know. Well guys, enlighten me=)

·
Registered
586 Posts
First off, welcome ;) and as for your question, I'm not sure about the VE, I've got a 99 and I'm seriously considering the BB DET. And I agree with you, doing the upgrades (turbo, ECU, etc) on the DE isn't worth it, unless you've got lots and lots of time to do it. Here are a couple of sites that can help.

http://www.sr20de.net/index.html

http://www.sr20deforum.com/

Too bad you're not in So. Cal, from what I've been told there's a pretty good shop there that deals alot with DET swaps. http://www.sr20development.com/

Hope this helps. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what little info Ive been able to gather, Id like to buy a SR20VE and put in the stock cams from the SR16VE, supposed to be good for roughly 10-15hp. Only real problem is I have no clue what the VE costs, or where It can be found. I would personally much rather have a NA engine, they really cant be modded as radically, but they maintain reliability, drivability, and simplicity, very good characteristics. Plus I think for a daily driver a 2900lb G20 with 200 plus hp and a 5spd would be a AWESOME combo!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I belive that you should go out and buy a T25 turbo set up unless you have a ton of miles on your car. It will save you money, be easier to install, yeild almost the same results as a SR20DET swap and will take less time than an engine swap.

Your going to need;
Intercooler
JWT Reprogrammed ECU
Garret T25 Turbocharger
Blue Bird Exhaust Manifold
Nissan 370cc Injector’s
Blue Bird J Pipe

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I wouldnt even think about doing a SR20VE swap. It costs a lot more than the SR20DET swap or T25 turbo setup would and yeilds less hp. Why would you want to pay more for something that gives you less power???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bo ught my car a couple weeks ago, I do alot of driving, and thus am looking into an engine swap down the road. Currently my car has something a tad under 89k miles on it. As I said before, I would personally rather run a NA motor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo's in general are less reliable than NA engines, I need high reliability, and my not do anything to my car. However, the VE is an upgrade that Im highly intrested in. Does anybody know where I can find these motors at? What there cost actually is? It is indeed possible that a BB SR20DET would be my best option, I think an entire pull out, and swap would probably run in the $4-$5k range. I am however able to do all the labor my self, or with FREE help, so thats a big plus.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
jlguy141 said:
Only real problem is I have no clue what the VE costs, or where It can be found.
Andreas Miko 305-282-3643 $2400, he also has the SR16VE cams and can install them for you.

Don't forget to mention G20.net when you call! :p

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
2002G20Racer said:
I wouldnt even think about doing a SR20VE swap. It costs a lot more than the SR20DET swap

Not really. Even though the motor itself is a few hundred dollars more, the total price is cheaper.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:

Not really. Even though the motor itself is a few hundred dollars more, the total price is cheaper.
But the potential is less than a DET. So it's really up to what you want to spend and what you want to get out of it. Within reason.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
jlguy141 said:
and it seems modding the stock SR20DE isnt all the worthwhile
No true. If you're looking for mild power the standard bolt-ons are fine and you will notice a difference. Up to 200whp you can go for DET or VE depending on where you want to go in the future and if you prefer N/A or turbo. If you're looking for the big power the DE can support over 300whp. You need to change the same things on a DET that you need to put on a DE to get around the same big power, so the DET just becomes added cost. Unless you wanted to go turbo now and upgrade over the years to bigger power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I would be very happy with 200-220 whp. With the SR20ve, and things such as the SR16ve cams, exhaust, CAI, JWT ECU, that I should be able to achieve this. If I was to take a wild guess, Id be saying these are my costs.

1. SR20VE $2400, plus $300 for cams? Plus shipping..ouch
2. Exhaust, header/custom b-pipe/catback $1000
3. ECU $500ish
4. CAI $200

Total of $4500

Plus it would still be rock solid reliable, no I would be outta luck if I was after huge turbo power in the 250hp plus range, but Im not after that, I just want something faster than it is now.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
jlguy141 said:
1. SR20VE $2400, plus $300 for cams? Plus shipping..ouch
2. Exhaust, header/custom b-pipe/catback $1000
3. ECU $500ish
4. CAI $200
I would add some rpm switches on there and do the cam switch over that way. This method allows you to custom taylor the switch over and even do them seperately like stock.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
G-Forces said:

But the potential is less than a DET. So it's really up to what you want to spend and what you want to get out of it. Within reason.

I never said the potential was equal. I would go for the turbo. ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey 2002g20racer why did you say that
2002G20Racer I wouldnt even think about doing a SR20VE swap. It costs a lot more than the SR20DET swap or T25 turbo setup would and yeilds less hp. Why would you want to pay more for something that gives you less power???
First off both SR20DET or T25 setup cost pretty much the same. If anything those setup's are more then the VE it's self. It's all about personal prefrence. Second, do you race at big SCCA events like at Sebring or Daytona not at solo 2. My guess is you don't. So you don't need 300+ hp. Besides you don't 300+ hp for normal street driving. Another thing if you have that much hp you're going to have massive wheel spin. It's pretty cool to have that kind of motor in your car but you dont really need it. Another thing about the VE is when you add and Intake, or cams, or ecu, or exhaust system. You get like around 15 or more hp with that single mod because of the way the VE is set up. If you have the VE and really don't like the perfomance you can do the VE+T. There's a guy in Japan who did that and if you ask me thats pretty F*%#ing cool.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
well isn't there an actual VET engine out also? does anyone know if that motor can go into the G20 (or does it mount like a Silvia SR20 and can't be used....?)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
FF Drifter said:
well isn't there an actual VET engine out also? does anyone know if that motor can go into the G20 (or does it mount like a Silvia SR20 and can't be used....?)
Can't be used.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you really wanted a VE-T, you could get a VE and add a T25 kit. You would probably want to lower the compression since the VE's compression is too high for turbo. The variable valve will allow you to have a decent idle and low end torque, and the switch over to the bigger cams should help with the top end, which is where power from the T25 usually drops off. I've read in the se-r mailing list that DETs with the S4 cams help a lot with the top end. Add the cost of the T25 kit plus lower compression pistons to your other VE costs and you get a nice reliable VE-T.

Joe:evil:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
Hey 2002g20racer why did you say that

First off both SR20DET or T25 setup cost pretty much the same. If anything those setup's are more then the VE it's self. It's all about personal prefrence. Second, do you race at big SCCA events like at Sebring or Daytona not at solo 2. My guess is you don't. So you don't need 300+ hp. Besides you don't 300+ hp for normal street driving. Another thing if you have that much hp you're going to have massive wheel spin. It's pretty cool to have that kind of motor in your car but you dont really need it. Another thing about the VE is when you add and Intake, or cams, or ecu, or exhaust system. You get like around 15 or more hp with that single mod because of the way the VE is set up. If you have the VE and really don't like the perfomance you can do the VE+T. There's a guy in Japan who did that and if you ask me thats pretty F*%#ing cool.
People dont really NEED to modify their cars at all. For street driving you can get a bone stock pos Kia and be able to get around. Its all about personal gratifacation and smoking your friends. =)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
2002G20Racer said:

People dont really NEED to modify their cars at all. For street driving you can get a bone stock pos Kia and be able to get around. Its all about personal gratifacation and smoking your friends. =)
Well isn't that what it's all about...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts