Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is very important to me, because it's an investment and it's a very important one. I know a lot of you guys have gone down this road which is why I need your guidance, opinions, and advices, and most expert knowledge. I'm purchasing a new engine (JDM I believe) this upcoming week. I'm supposed to go to the place, FOEN CORP in Jersey (thanx Chris!! :p) , and pick up the engine myself. They say they have about 6 of them left and that's where I need your help... Can anyone tell me WHAT exactly should I look for when checking the engines out before I make my final selection!?? I NEED any kind of help possible, ANY suggestions is appreciated! :eek: I know it will be impossible to know what's going on inside these engines, but at least if there are 'outside' signs... I wanna be able to catch them. So please help!! :surprised

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you say new, do you mean that it's factory new or that it's just new to you? There will be different things to look for in each case.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
try and get an uncut wiring harness, make the spin the engine/rotate crankshaft with wrench

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he He!

First I have to thank you guys for your fast responses! Great that you wanna help!! ;) Ok, the engines are not factory 'new', but new to me 'Money G20' The mileage on these engines range between 35-45K which is, of course, much better than my current 104K!!! lol :p
Also, GTA_G20, what exactly do you mean by your suggestions? Could you be a lil' more specific or detailed? Thanx!!

Please understand that I'm not an expert at these things, which is why I need you forum buddies to help me out! Any detailed, precise information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanx again!! :)

With your help, some blessing and luck on my side, I'm hoping to make a good choice... :nervous:

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
look for a dented oil pan...thats a bad thing....try and find one that is near perfect. If you can pull the Valve cover look for worn cams, thats another bad thing. Check the spark plugs too, if you can, look for anthing out of the ordinary...good luck man....thats my two cents...

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great!!

See, I knew I'd get more and more good suggestions!! :lol: Now if they allow it, I'll definitely try to pull the covers off or at least peek at the plugs! By the way guys, I need a ratchet to get the Plugs out right??... What's the official size again??? I could just take mine out there if they don't wanna let me use theirs... :p
Thanx Yahnozha!!
anyone else?? ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at the oil on top end make sure it isn't too black, thick or burnt. And everything everyone else said

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pan because it is easy to dent in shipping. Just make sure you replace it and make sure the oil pick up is not broken when you do.

Out of curiosity did your current engine break?

Lee
91 NX
99 G20
02 Spec V

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not just yet!

It's not dead, still runs well, but it makes the worse rattle when I rev it up... 93det had the same problem, the problem was his Cam, damn thing suffered oil starvation, the cam rings were stripped and I saw what it looked like... not pretty... He went to that place and got himself a nice engine that he swapped in his P10 ~! I don't want mine to get there so he hooked me up with their number and the price was pretty affordable! They didn't have DET's ... I would've went for one but oh well! ... I'm just trying to play it safe... can't afford to be without a car right now...

Thanx again man! ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
yo fraychild

yo if you get a chance stop by the shop very soon. im doing a det swap in a 92 g20. and the customer has a jdm sr20 that he might be getting rid of. i just pulled the motor out and im sure it runs im not sure what he wants for it though

·
Registered
562 Posts
hey they have do compression test on all those engines and should have them written down on the crate or on the valve cover...I don't know what they should be at but make sure they have good compression.

When engines are shipped aren't they required to be prepped and have all fluids drained?

·
Registered
194 Posts
TY423 said:
When engines are shipped aren't they required to be prepped and have all fluids drained?

That's what I thought too. Maybe it depends on who's importing it. If it does still have it's oil in it, make sure it doesn't smell like charcoal. That means the engine's toast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There should be some residual oil in the engine (ie on the underside of the valve cover). Take a swab of that and sniff and look. Look how varnished the cam towers and valve cover are. The should be a greyish color, not black.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good!!

Great!! I knew I'd get good ones from everyone! Thanks for all those who had something to say! I'll definitely check for the quality of the oil in these engines or at least the traces!

93det! I'm definitely stopping by the shop today man! Around 12:30-1:00-ish, I need to talk to you BIG TIME!! :eek:

About the compression test... I would run one myself if I could -Shoot!- ... These guys are probably gonna kick me out of there screaming: "WE DON'T WANT YOUR BIZNESS, YOU STINK!!"
That's how picky I'm gonna be!! :lol:

Hope ya'll understand why.... :p

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... Last ones in..

Okay guys!! Tomorrow's Saturday and I'm going to that place and get my JDM engine... This is my last day to get it all in before I go there... you can imagine how anxious and nervous I am... If you have any last suggestions, any last word, advice... please drop it!! Even if you just wish me luck!!:) I can use any support for real!!:p I'll definitely try to keep you all updated on the status of the swap.. I'll also try to get pics and all that good stuff!! Hey! 93det, wassup with the pics for that DET swap you did!! :lol:
Hit me back i-ight!!

like I said... wish me luck.... =)

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Wishing you luck man....dont get too nervous, get a good deal, and most important....be happy with what you decide on...

·
Registered
141 Posts
ayo

yo that g came out sick. for those of you who dont know i do sr20 swaps. i have a det in my sentra and a jdm sr20 in my g20. plus i just finished a det swap in a 92 g20 (came out nice). im also about to do fraychild's swap in his g20 (non-turbo) and im about to convert a 96 auto. altima into a 5 speed turbo-charged beast. oh yeah if you guys wanna see the g20 i just did go to jgycustoms.com. im also working on a proto type front mount intercooler kit for sentras and g20's so if anyone is interested let me know. YO FRAY ill catch you lata holla when your ready.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HEY!!

YES!!! I GOT MY JDM BEAUTY!!! I'm taking your advice Yahnozha and I'm remaining happy with what I got! I checked everything I could on the engine before I made my final decision!! And now the poor baby has a new daddy!! She'll be so happy in my engine bay, and I'll clean her, and change her diap-- I mean oil, she'll have new filters, new gaskets, new plugs, new wires, I'll pamper her, and tune her up, and I'll leave the rest to 93det to do his magic thing!!! :lol:
Obviously I'm happy guys...! :p The engine is still in my car though... on my back seat!! (for those who worry about the leather, I put a protecting shield under the engine) :lol: ... he he he ... I have a car with two engines, wanna race me???!! I'll make sure I lose, the car weighs twice as much now and only getting half the power of two engines!!!! he he he ... :lol: Oh boy.. anyways, 93det, I'll hit you up and stop by the shop as soon as I'm ready! I'm glad you're done with that last DET swap man.. I'm sure that kid's all happy now and s#!t... I'll keep you all updated!!! Thanx again!!!:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Re: HEY!!

Fraychild said:
I have a car with two engines, wanna race me???!! I'll make sure I lose, the car weighs twice as much now and only getting half the power of two engines!!!! he he he
Reminds me of my drive back from CA with another DE in the trunk that I got from Tony....two engines, same power...hahaha...I still find if hillarious that you can fit the engine from your car in the car.... :lol:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He he he

I still find if hillarious that you can fit the engine from your car in the car....
He he I know!! :lol::lol:
... By the way... if you guys were to get a Spark plug wire set... Would you get Bosch or NGKs?...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts