Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I blew my engine in my 1999 P11. Not completely blown but blown piston rings. Anyways, I bought Luke's (G22DET) old motor from his 1999 G20 and swapped motors....I got it back running but the idle seems alittle rough and you can feel it when you put your leg against the door at idle. My friend sat on front passenger side and he heres a vibration noise in the headrest...Thats how bad it is....don't get me wrong...its not like crazy shaking but noticeable and hella annoying....I tried messing with the idle and did what the instructions on SE-R.net said...I fixed that but still the same old vibration...could it be EGR??? could it be the ground for the MAF?? HELP!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
first of all man..whre in southern cali do you live..next i get that same fuckin vibration at low rpms..it comes and goes and yea the only way i figured out how to get rid of it is to let the car warm up for about 4min before you start driving in the morning anda bout a minute if ur starting it after a long rest any other time in the day. I took it to the infiniti dealer but the time i got there there was no vibration sound any more so they told me to bring it back when i get it
anyways people its annoying the hell out of me so yea if anyone has a solution tell me!!!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your problem seems to be intermittently and probably happens depending on weather also....anyways I suggest you try adjusting the AIV Idle control valve....its probably set wrong or something....READ on how to do it cuz its more than just turn a screw in and out...

oh and I'm located in Irvine California...but grew up in La Canada right by Pasadena near JPL. I went to high school down the street from JPL also...

·
Registered
354 Posts
that is soooo cool i go to school at St.Francis High School in La Cananda right next to LCH and JPL and yea i have another house in laguna right by irvine...yea thats what someone else told me to do..i'll have infiniti do it for me so i don't screw up

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey kewl Myinfinitig20....I looked at your car in cardomain.com and I found something weird...I thought we were in the year 2002....you wrote "I got my G20 on July 1st 2002" in one of your descriptions...whats up with that? Did you have a DeLorean with a flux-capacitor in the back and went to the future with your old looking buddy Doc?

I'm just messing with you but I was confused on what year I was in for a second...

·
Registered
354 Posts
lol yea i get that alot..my car is a 2002 but i bought it in july1 2001 sorry

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey I remember when I went to LCHS we had a rumble with the
St.Francis gusy...this was like 6-7 years ago I think...were you there? at the McDonalds...the cops showed up and everyone took off....

·
Registered
354 Posts
lol no man i'm still in st.francis i'm a senior.
what type of rumble was this????lol??? It was a nice quiet talk about a very intelecutal topic am i right?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
lol no man i'm still in st.francis i'm a senior.
what type of rumble was this????lol??? It was a nice quiet talk about a very intelecutal topic am i right?
A rumble ? was the FONZ there ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VietG20...Yeah I thought about it but I don't think so....the motor only has 65K and I don't think they should have gone bad already...or could they have? How long do those usually last? And plus lately I think my idle is dipping alittle lower than the base idle I set....

MyInfinitiG20...I think it was pretty bad....and it wasn't intellectual at all....more like all out barbaric rage....we had about 15-20 guys and you guys out numbered us....but ended up most of the St.Francis guys didn't want to fight....and I have no clue what this was over...

·
Registered
354 Posts
lol that sounds like st.francis guys..talk a lot of shit but they don't fight...
except me of course

·
Registered
89 Posts
Low RPM engine Vibration.

I agree with Vietg20 – for your own peace of mind, check the engine mounts. It's real easy and costs nothing. The G20 mounts are very weak and 65k is definitely not too early for they to need replacement.

If anyone wants to know how to do this: First you need a helper – WHO WILL ALWAYS STAND AT SIDE OF CAR – NEVER IN FRONT!

Open hood, apply handbrake firmly, start engine. Simply take a look at how much the engine is rattling around at idle. If the mounts are really bad, it will be obvious. Helper remains at side of car, watching engine block.

Man. Trans: Apply footbrake firmly. Shift into 1st and (no gas) let in clutch. Observer to note how much engine moved when put under load.

Auto. Trans: Apply footbrake firmly. Shift into Drive. Keeping foot firmly on brake, blip the throttle– just a little (+500 revs). Observer to note how much engine block moved when trans put into drive and when throttle was (gently) blipped.

THEORY: When the drive wheels are blocked, and a load is applied, the engine has no alternative but to try to turn itself. The only thing stopping this the engine spinning around under the hood are the engine mounts. When the car is moving, the only load transfer is through the transmission and is hard to notice.

IMO, if the engine moves 0.5 to 0.75 inch, under load, I would have the mounts checked by a pro. Good luck!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm....interesting...I will try that procedure...wow 0.5 inch is really not much play....how much play should there be?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Low RPM Vibration

I don't know that there is any measurable standard – just compare with others who do not share your problem.

If it's not the mounts, get a cheap set of stethposcopes to isolate the location of of low RPM vibration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts