Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im reading a lot about the JDM SR20 with this neo vvl stuff and a 6 speed CVT. from my understanding the vvl is like nissans VTEC. didnt know if this was a worth while swap into a P11 or if it was a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
well first off...vvl's from what i have heard are very hard to come by in the states.....so if you have one or can get one that is a miracle in itself from what i understand. lol

Jake

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
they are just as available as det's. its a VET that is hard to get or the sr20ve 20v. im not too sure about the CVT though. i dont think anyone has done it yet.

·
The G20 hoarder
2,279 Posts
the VE's are not hard to get, they are just expensive. well atleast in florida and california the VE's can be found in a local Japanese engine shop. but i dont think any one has installed the cvt tranny.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
oh ya is it the 20v....too many v's and 20's to keep track of.....lol
but just out of curiosity how much do the ve's go for??

Jake

·
Registered
588 Posts
sr20ve

Do a search on sr20ve. they are not to get a hold of. ive seen some for 1200-1300 but you will have to come up with shipping...if your 5spd right now youre in good hands..if will bolt up with your tranny also you will need a wolf ECU...search bud CVT wont work or if you have the $ then it will work, but mine as well buy a Beemer or a benz

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can run the 20VE with the ecu you have no problems. You'll need something to trigger the cam switching though. GReddy MSS or Summit rpm switches are the products of choice as far as I know, although other solutions might available. I run a MSS myself.
To answer your question, if I have understood correctly, a lot of VE's came from the factory with CVT trannies, so that in itself should not be a big problem. The main hassle would probably be that the "ecu" or control unit for the CVT is embedded in the main ECU, so that means you need a JDM VE+CVT ecu, harness etc etc etc misc parts to make it work. Should be do-able though, but I have no idea why ou would want it. Maybe for a daily driver, but when you start tuning, the CVT's a mostly a no-no.
I heard even the stock SR20VET's that came with CVT's are having problems, because the trannies dont hold up to the stock 280ish hp too well.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
I do not recocommned any tuning over cai/header/exhaust with a cvt. I have one and I feel it deaks well with the power I have now but I don't want to go (much) higher..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would advise against getting one at all. I have just completely destroyed mine. And I looked after it religiously.....

Snapped the main drive chain at 85mph last night :( = wreck.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
CVT = sucks

VVL motor is the shizzle. I know... trust me.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
jasha said:
I would advise against getting one at all. I have just completely destroyed mine. And I looked after it religiously.....

What ??? OMG !

did the car survive ? New CVT Now ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
engine is ok, still runs sweet, gonna put a manual in it now.

$5000USD for a new CVT unit.....

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
James:

How much you reckon for a manual conversion, in the UK ?

If you get it done, do a write up, plse ? I might be next in line....
not so different from normal AT, but one never knows...

·
Registered
75 Posts
been done once before here by my mate, so we're just trying to source the parts or a full donor vehicle as I speak. A decent donor car should come in around $800-$900USD so it's a much better option really.

IIRC the only problem is relocating/remaking an engine mount but it's nothing too hard

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
OK

keep me posted !

Good luck !

·
Registered
75 Posts
cheers mate! will do!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
jasha said:

Any clue why that happened?

·
Registered
593 Posts
i have driven some cvt's in primera's and as far as i know most are ok, but they do tend to have issues....as far as modding, i woudlnt recommend it either, the tranny is set specificaly to the motor it has and it really doesnt adapt to anything else

1 - 20 of 23 Posts