Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get stiffer springs to replace my current ones (especially because I'm pretty sure they're sagging after 170k miles), but I don't want to lower the car. I've heard too many people say there are issues in the winter and that you can wear out your shocks more quickly with shorter springs.

What are my options? I searched and saw that EDM Primera springs are somewhat stiffer and eGT springs are stiffer still, but I'd like to know how much stiffer and whether there are any options domestically.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,585 Posts
It's not the fact that the springs are shorter that cause the dampers to wear out, it's because they are stiffer.

I don't see how 35mm drop is gonna cause a problem in the winter, but we don't get much snow here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
The snow can get a little deep sometimes here in the north. If your car is too low it can become a snow plow.
 

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
markbuts3 said:
It's not the fact that the springs are shorter that cause the dampers to wear out, it's because they are stiffer.
Okay, I did a little Googling and that seems to be correct, but from what I saw there are problems with tire wear if I don't get a camber kit, and I don't really see the point of lowering the car performance-wise (it seems to be just for looks and I don't really care about that). What are the spring rates of aftermarket springs versus eGT springs, and do you think you or another UK member would be able to get eGT springs for under US$100 shipped (from a junkyard or something)?
 

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Might be changing my mind -- the Tein S-Techs have a significantly higher spring rate than the eGT springs (eGT 112f/123r, Tein 151f/140r) and apparently the B&G have even higher spring rates (haven't searched for those yet). Maybe I will get the GR-2/B&G kit at shox.com eventually... just have to save up my money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
If you want stiffer springs and stock height go with GC coilovers. You can choose whatever spring rate and height you want. I might have a set for sale in a few weeks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,585 Posts
thefultonhow said:
Okay, I did a little Googling and that seems to be correct, but from what I saw there are problems with tire wear if I don't get a camber kit, and I don't really see the point of lowering the car performance-wise (it seems to be just for looks and I don't really care about that). What are the spring rates of aftermarket springs versus eGT springs, and do you think you or another UK member would be able to get eGT springs for under US$100 shipped (from a junkyard or something)?
Lowering also lowers the CoG and reduces weight transfer when cornering which is good for performance. As for camber, lowering won't really affect camber in the front to a massive degree and if the toe is correct then tyre wear will be fine.

$100 shipped wouldn't be possible, even if I gave you my old set I bet the shipping would be more due to the weight of them. The Tein springs would be cheaper...
 

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't tempt me... I'm broke right now. :dead:
 

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't buy the Teins... paNX2K&SE-R, how much are you looking to sell the GCs for? Those are what I really want. But if they're too expensive, I'm going for the B+G because they're progressive and they're only $45 more than the Teins when bought in a package with KYB GR2s.
 

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
I heard from performancecenter.com that I would have to wait 3 months to get the B&G springs.
 

·
Used to own a P10
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will live... if I order them at the beginning of next summer and they don't come for three months, well, I'll be running in H-stock for autocrossing for that summer instead of Street Touring. Better handicap --- that's not bad. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
If you want stiffer springs and stock height go with GC coilovers. You can choose whatever spring rate and height you want. I might have a set for sale in a few weeks.

x2..the g/c are the truth..u can have a 1'' drop for the summer or lower and then in the winter raise them all the way..with the tein's ive noticed that people who have them like to plow snow in the winter.. :naughty:
 

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
t bags said:
x2..the g/c are the truth..u can have a 1'' drop for the summer or lower and then in the winter raise them all the way..with the tein's ive noticed that people who have them like to plow snow in the winter.. :naughty:

^^^^ did some plowing last winter! The snow sounds like its gonna rip up through the floor when you are dragging it along. NOT FUN! :hurt:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
their's no substitute for adjustability
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top