Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have the hard start, but it turned out to be the dizzy (not the cap and rotor). Just figured I'd let you know.

Interestingly enough, the internals to my original dizzy were spotless. Go figure. Must have had to do with the camshaft position sensor, although no codes were shown.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. I dropped my car off at the Infiniti dealership last night to have them look at mine. I have cleaned/replaced everything I could and I still have a misfire/shitty idle. When my car is in Park or Neutral, my engine is choking and changing RPM's. When I changed my timing last week, my RPM's would fluctuate like crazy in timing mode even with the IACV disconnected. Something is wrong and I can not figure it out. My MPG's suck (110 miles on a 1/2 tank) and I can tell my engine is not happy. The exhaust shakes pretty bad and I keep getting a pop in the tailpipe. I plan on letting them diagnose it, then taking it somewhere else for the repairs. Wish me luck.

I sure hope this does not go back to a missing bolt in the engine bay. When I changed my timing chain tensioner 3 months ago, I lost a bolt and it could have gone into one of the oil filter holes. I hope that has nothing to do with this problem.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud. So you revved the car past 2k 3 times three times then pulled the TPS with it running then revved it 3 times again past 2k?

I know that this may be overkill, but it works for me.

Did you clean the ARV? If you are getting a pop in the tailpipe that would sound like a timing issue.

Did you ever check for codes?

Oh well, they have it now, you are probably better off. I have really thrown alot of money into the car trying to figuring it all out.

I'm still stuck with the hard starting when cold.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yea, I revved it up 2-3 times then pulled the TPS. I did NOT rev it up anymore after this. I am positive I was in timing mode because the marks on the pulley were perfectly still and when I adjusted the idle screw I was able to see the changes with the tach on the gun. The engine would surge, then slow down repeatedly. I could see it on the tach. It would fluctuate about 60-80 RPM's. With the IACV removed, same thing. I can just tell something is off. My car does not have the power it should and the MPG I am getting is a sure sign something is wrong.

I get 55 everytime I check the codes, and never get a CEL. I do not have the skill to get to the ARV. I have never taken the plenium off before. That is the only thing that has not been taken apart and cleaned. With 62K, I am doubting that is the prob. The car fires up great every time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pauley01 said:
Yea, I revved it up 2-3 times then pulled the TPS. I did NOT rev it up anymore after this. I am positive I was in timing mode because the marks on the pulley were perfectly still and when I adjusted the idle screw I was able to see the changes with the tach on the gun. The engine would surge, then slow down repeatedly. I could see it on the tach. It would fluctuate about 60-80 RPM's. With the IACV removed, same thing. I can just tell something is off. My car does not have the power it should and the MPG I am getting is a sure sign something is wrong.

I get 55 everytime I check the codes, and never get a CEL. I do not have the skill to get to the ARV. I have never taken the plenium off before. That is the only thing that has not been taken apart and cleaned. With 62K, I am doubting that is the prob. The car fires up great every time.
Yea, my motor has about 80k, so I am not sure if cleaning the ARV would fix it. You don't have the skill? Come on man, you have come a long way. :)

That problem sounds exactly like the problem I had before I replaced the optical part of the dizzy.

I wish the other part of my dizzy was good. I'd ship it down for you to try. :(

Have you tried to bypass or block the EGR just for diagnostic purposes?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well,
I just got a call from Infiniti, they hooked my car up to the computer and there is a problem with cylinder #3. Some program they run showed 3 cylinders running at 212 while the 4th was at 90. I asked if they did a compression check and they said no, this was some program they use. They are going to do an induction service to try to clean the injectors out (150 dollars). He said there might be some crap clogging it. If that does not work, I need to have the injector replaced. At least I found the problem. I had a fuel injection service done at Jiffy Lube about 1.5 months ago where they use a drip to clean the injectors. I might be throwing my money away with this service infiniti is offering, but I guess its worth a try. I just cant see my injector going bad with only 62K, but whatever. I just want the power/MPG's back in my car.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
That is a rev drop check where they cut the fuel/spark to one cylinder at a time and record the rev drop.

Cylinder balance is a common name for it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You got it Mark...thats exactly what he called it. I posted another thread asking about buying an injector from someone...You can delete that. I will work off this one...I am sure jj94auto will not mind.

So, I just authorized a 150.00 cleaning service of the injectors that they said may or may not work. I had Jiffy Lube do a injector service like 1.5 months ago and it did not solve a thing. Hopefully Infiniti's service is better.

Do you think I should just replace the one injector at 62K? It should not have assed out on me, but I sure hope this gets my car running right again.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if you recall, but I replaced all 4 of mine myself for about $124 (remans) Hope that helps. It fixed my problem when I did the cylinder balance test. Mine threw a code for the injectors.

If yours has 62k and mine had not too much more at the time I wouldn't be suprised.

There is no way that I would replace one injector for the trouble of going down there, but I think APOC had the same problem as me at the same time and got away with it.

The ARV valve is down there as well BTW.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i know this is an old topic, but did you find out what the problem was with your bad idle pauley? i have the same problem, and i've tried a bunch of things with no results :(
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts