Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless you send in your own axle to be rebuilt, be warned that we have now gotten 2 axles that have been over-worked (machined too much) where they leak at the axle seal no matter how many times you try to replace the seal (different axle seals do nothing YET a new EMPI axle and new seal and all is good)

We are sticking with buying brand new EMPI from now on.. The rebuilt axles seem to have fallen into the garbage category at this point. We are not waiting around for strike 3 on a poorly rebuilt cardone anyway.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Chris measure the diameter of the axles. This information can be useful as someone putting in an axle can measure prior to installation and know if it will work or not. Save people a ton of time and money.

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have an accurate way to measure (a good accurate caliper) people can measure their stock one coming out and compare to the rebuilt.. problem is you have to measure at the point were the axle goes into the trans because measuring elsewhere probably wont' be as accurate.

Use the same caliper instrument to measure both because what my cheapie one says might not match what yours says but consistency is the key.

Personally I wouldn't even risk trying another cardone when the new EMPI ones mean you don't have to deal with core returns and are almost the same price anyway!

HINT: there is a seller on ebay selling the EMPI ones at a very reasonable price and only about $8 more than the rockauto cardone ones (plus that $8 is a wash anyway when you have to pay to ship back the core axle to PA/Cardone)

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
If you have an accurate way to measure (a good accurate caliper) people can measure their stock one coming out and compare to the rebuilt.. problem is you have to measure at the point were the axle goes into the trans because measuring elsewhere probably wont' be as accurate.

Use the same caliper instrument to measure both because what my cheapie one says might not match what yours says but consistency is the key.

Personally I wouldn't even risk trying another cardone when the new EMPI ones mean you don't have to deal with core returns and are almost the same price anyway!

HINT: there is a seller on ebay selling the EMPI ones at a very reasonable price and only about $8 more than the rockauto cardone ones (plus that $8 is a wash anyway when you have to pay to ship back the core axle to PA/Cardone)

I understand what your saying. GSP axles are always in stock and dirt cheap at advanced auto parts by my house. They are new and not remanned. No matter what transmission or side they sell them for $69.99 last I checked. Plus if you buy online and pick up in store you can apply discount codes which they always have.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hey Chris...I just had the same problem with a rebuilt Cardone driver's side axle. Can you shoot me a PM or post in here the name of the eBay seller that sells good EMPI ones? I've been looking on eBay but all I can find are generic axles that don't list the manufacturer, which makes me skeptical. Also, Do you know a part number/brand for the tranny seal on the driver's side (where the axle goes in)? I've ordered from Shucks and Napa and neither has the correct seal. It's not even close to what's on there now. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the ebay seller we have bought from and an EMPI axle showed up (The correct one)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390166807076&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

ebay seller = rwiamerica

..and here I found a current auction (passenger side so you have to search for driver side on your own)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drive-Axle-Infiniti-G20-1993-93-1994-94-1995-95-1996-96-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad8871b7dQQitemZ390179789693QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

...driver side is $61 for LSD and also EMPI showed up for us:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310205285475&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks a million, Chris, you rock! I just ordered a driver's side LSD from them.

Any idea on the seal part number? Sorry...I sound like a newb so feel free to tell me to search. I'm just tired of getting wrong parts from various incompetent retailers at this point. It's really slowing down the process of driving my G again. Makes me wish I could just say "I have a 95 Honda Civic...I know you have every part made for those and there will be no confusion whatsoever as to if it's correct or not." Support for the P10, small as it already was, is dwindling daily. :(

EDIT: nevermind...found one! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you send in your own axle to be rebuilt, be warned that we have now gotten 2 axles that have been over-worked (machined too much) where they leak at the axle seal no matter how many times you try to replace the seal (different axle seals do nothing YET a new EMPI axle and new seal and all is good)

We are sticking with buying brand new EMPI from now on.. The rebuilt axles seem to have fallen into the garbage category at this point. We are not waiting around for strike 3 on a poorly rebuilt cardone anyway.
Hi guys. Sorry to hear about your CV problem. I know it looks bad, but I work for Cardone and this is not typical of our Reman CV's. Where did you buy them? Do you still have them or were they returned? I spoke with our Quality Assurance dept and they would like to see the units and find out what happened.

Again, sorry you had problems. Please know this is not typical.
Cory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I don't have a G20, but I do love cars and try to hang out on different forums to make sure we have happy customers. ;)

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys. Sorry to hear about your CV problem. I know it looks bad, but I work for Cardone and this is not typical of our Reman CV's. Where did you buy them? Do you still have them or were they returned? I spoke with our Quality Assurance dept and they would like to see the units and find out what happened.

Again, sorry you had problems. Please know this is not typical.
Cory
Our BAD axle from the other car is long gone in the trash.

BUT I purchased the BAD cardone rebuilt from www.rockauto.com (had to return our good axle size CORE in the original box so that is long gone)

BUT I believe I still do have the bad passenger side that we had to replace right away if you wanted that back (but I honestly don't feel like paying return shipping to PA which is why I never bothered with 'warranty' from rockauto -- didn't want to risk yet another BAD axle and going through all that trouble to install it only to find out the shaft was machined down too small to work with the seal again!)

After having this happen TWICE on 2 totally different cars, we really have a bad taste left from cardone. (how do you think it feels to go through 3 different brands of axle seals before finally realizing the seal wasn't the problem but the actual axle was?) ...think about labor and materials involved in changing axles.

Now we just had another cardone axle go bad (this time after a year of driving on it) and I have zero interest in buying another cardone to be honest and risk the possibility of the axle shaft being too small again!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've already installed the EMPI axles and the quality of the axles was good and brand new from the ground up, so far so good no complaints and my oil seal leak at the tranny has stoped 100% and I didn;t even change the seal because it looked brand new and was still soft......the cardone axle had just been re-worked a lil to much I guess, sucks I didn't think to take any measurements.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts